Confirmed with Link: Grabner to Devils for 2nd rounder and Rykov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
We didn't make this trade to make Taylor Hall happy. We made it because Shero thinks it improves the team at a position of weakness (RW goal scoring), the player fits with our style of play (speed), and Shero values a playoff berth this season more than he values a 2nd and a good but not spectacular prospect who's 1-2 seasons away from coming to the NHL.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Hall can't even sign an extension till next offseason. You're engaging in complete projection. Us making the playoffs this year isn't going to determine whether Hall signs after June 2019. Making the playoffs by next year might, but we're not at that code red phase yet.
So you seriously think Shero doesn't think about how much Hall cares about making it this year?

Are posters on here emotionless?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Where is the Rykov quote saying he would not come over to play for the Devils?

It's fine for Devils fans to like this deal but quit the spinning.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Anyone who thinks this is a bad deal covets a 2nd round pick and a prospect more than our best players making the playoffs for the first time ever

Im glad all of you who think this dont GM the team

It's more the fact that we aren't even done with our rebuild yet. Shero clearly knows more than I do about being a gm, but just my perspective on it is it's a trade that is too early.

I would've rather tried to trade for a younger guy, especially if it involves our best defensive prospect. Even if he may not come over or not.

I also won't lie I don't like the fact we traded with the rangers.

It fills a hole, but I'm just not sure if it's the right timing. We shall see

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Pretty sure Rykov is just highly regarded in general, I've heard tons of praise for him when he's played in international compeitions. We're probably over-hyping him but not that much, he's objectively a good prospect.
I'm not sure he cracks the top 50 defensemen prospects league wide.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Losing a 5th round pick playing in Russia is what everyone is bent out of shape about?

This reminds me of when Lou waived that defenseman and everyone here insisted we were throwing away a significant piece of our future D...I can’t even remember his freakin name lol

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It's more the fact that we aren't even done with our rebuild yet. Shero clearly knows more than I do about being a gm, but just my perspective on it is it's a trade that is too early.

I would've rather tried to trade for a younger guy, especially if it involves our best defensive prospect. Even if he may not come over or not.

I also won't lie I don't like the fact we traded with the rangers.

It fills a hole, but I'm just not sure if it's the right timing. We shall see

It's all about getting the kids a taste of the playoffs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So you seriously think Shero doesn't care about how much Hall cares about making it this year?

Of course he cares but it's not going to be the determining factor in making a win now trade in 2018. If the Devils didn't make the playoffs this year and went to the Stanley Cup Finals next year is Hall really gonna say screw Shero cause he didn't make a win-now trade in 2018?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

Nobody should say Rykov is a long shot to come to NA. I've seen nothing that is evidence of such. He's under contract in the KHL for either 1 or 2 more seasons (I'm not sure which), and he'll honor that contract. Beyond that, we know nothing.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Losing a 5th round pick playing in Russia is what everyone is bent out of shape about?

This reminds me of when Lou waived that defenseman and everyone here insisted we were throwing away a significant piece of our future D...I can’t even remember his freakin name lol
Urbom.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Of course he cares but it's not going to be the determining factor in making a win now trade in 2018. If the Devils didn't make the playoffs this year and went to the Stanley Cup Finals next year is Hall really gonna say screw Shero cause he didn't make a win-now trade in 2018?
The point in time between now and next season would be AWFUL for Hall. A guy having a Hart like season doesnt make it because he isnt getting the help he needs.

Id trade 2nd+Rykov for a playoff birth this year 100% of the time. I dont care if we 0-4 in the first round. The experience alone is worth it and if Halls wants it that badly, I want it that badly.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
So you seriously think Shero doesn't think about how much Hall cares about making it this year?

You don't need to be emotionless to think making a trade because of a player's possible reaction to something that may or may not happen is completely asinine.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Gross talked with Tom Fitzgerald. He said Rykov wasn't coming over anytime soon. You really think they didn't try to get him to come over before making this deal?

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You don't need to be emotionless to think making a trade because of a player's possible reaction to something that may or may not happen is completely asinine.
Maybe Hall said something.

Again, a 2nd and Rykov are a very cheap price to pay for playoff experience. Id do it again and again and again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad