Confirmed with Link: Grabner to Devils for 2nd rounder and Rykov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've always liked Grabner and said it was a shrewd signing by the Rags before last season even though my bud @Bleedred vehemently disagreed.

But I think we paid too steep a price and it must signal that Mojo is done for the season.

It will sicken us when Rykov comes over and is a top or 2nd pairing on the Rags.

Feels like a panic trade, hope I feel better about it in a few weeks.
He has like a 50% shooting percentage over the last 2 seasons (not really but something like that), so I'm not too psyched.

I don't really want him on a new contract, as it seems like it will be too much.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
When did Shero make a deal with Hall to get into the playoffs this year? This is pure conjecture.

But I do agree the move is puzzling cause Ray's been all about the process and lowering expectations of making big rental trades. This is at the very least a gamble that Grabner's not a rental.
Why else did he make this deal then?

If the Devils miss the playoffs Hall will be DEVASTATED. Do we really want that? Shero clearly doesn't

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shero never loses trades. Watch Grabner resign.

It's not that he never loses trades...Douglas Murray for two second rounders (another deadline rental) was a turd of a trade. But he hasn't really lost a trade here yet.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Forget Rykov, I'm speaking from where are on the arc of competing. For me, I was always a stand pat this season guy. We aren't contending, and if we were going to make this type of move, Grabner wouldn't be the guy I target.

Listen, this isn't torpedoing us. It's just not a move I think moves the needle enough for me to support. I'd sooner keep both assets and see where we are next season.
This is as much about Shero sending a message to the team that we're all in and intend to compete as it is anything else. There's value in that, too.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It's not that he never loses trades...Douglas Murray for two second rounders was a turd of a trade. But he hasn't really lost a trade here yet.
His trade history is solid, but it's a lot easier to make solid value-trades when you're building for the future and much harder when you're trying to win in the present.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Rykov was a zero value asset if he had no intention of ever joining us, money is no object for SKA so tempting him away from the KHL was always going to be difficult.

Tampa Bay practically gave Nikita Gusev to Vegas during the expansion draft, if they have no intention of ever joining your team including them in a deal is meaningless. The Rangers may have a better shot at signing him because of Buchnevich & Shestyorkin.

I think they may use him as a pawn to try to bring over Shestyorkin. It's a bit tough with the SKA guys because them and CSKA are the two teams that could pay whatever they want to retain their guys.

Still not a fan of giving up Rykov, but like I said earlier, I think this Devils team deserved a deal like this. Glad Shero rewarded them.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He has like a 50% shooting percentage over the last 2 seasons (not really but something like that), so I'm not too psyched.

I don't really want him on a new contract, as it seems like it will be too much.

If Grabner was shooting his career average, he would have 17 goals this season so far. Considering he doesn’t play on the PP, that’s still a very solid number.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is as much about Shero sending a message to the team that we're all in and intend to compete as it is anything else. There's value in that, too.

I agree with that for the most part but you'll get the inevitable pushback that 'this is what Lou did, trading picks for rentals! That's why we went down the crapper after the lockout!'. Well welcome to actually being a competitive team again, this is what competitive teams do.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Why else did he make this deal then?

If the Devils miss the playoffs Hall will be DEVASTATED. Do we really want that? Shero clearly doesn't
If that's Shero's thinking he should be fired tomorrow.

He made this trade because he's afraid Hall might get sad? Really?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm ok with this actually. Rykov was a nothing asset and we have used a ton of draft picks over the last 2-3 years. Grabner has 25 goals this year already and should help fill a big need. Now play him and Wood on the same line and have the fastest line in hockey.

Reactions: nugg

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
shero is banking on a bunch. this is a win now move for the devils. say what you want but i love the confidence from the top.

I admire the confidence, and maybe there's more to come.

But man... this has been a good season so far, and hey we may have even made the playoffs regardless. Fact is this still a very young team that has gone through a number of key injuries. There is plenty of room to grow and other moves that maybe could have been made in the future. I'm not sure if giving up our best defenseman prospect, and yes he wouldn't come over for a few seasons I know, is worth that short-term gamble - it is a steep price to pay to a rival no less.

I will say, like I have already, Grabner fits our system incredibly well. And I've seen a lot of good articles recently (even before this trade) saying how he may be under-utilized and a good trade target. I didn't think we'd be after him nor did I think we'd pay this price.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Aside from the WJC how much have you guys who are all infatuated with Rykov actually seen him play? (Not being a D there either, a legit question) I liked him as a prospect but I think this is a pretty solid deal for us. Grabner fits us almost to a T as far as what we’re doing here.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
you want hall to be happy?

this trade is definitive proof that shero is ****ing serious about getting this team back to its rightful place in this league.

I hope so but we are still not stopping the puck in goal and constant failed clears.

More help is needed and hopefully it's #35 and Gibbons early next week.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No, he wasn't. Walsh was and is.

I personally like Walsh more than Rykov, but I'm not a scout, I just play one on the Internet. You made a good point earlier that their timetables are more or less similar if Rykov's not coming over.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Forget Rykov, I'm speaking from where are on the arc of competing. For me, I was always a stand pat this season guy. We aren't contending, and if we were going to make this type of move, Grabner wouldn't be the guy I target.

Listen, this isn't torpedoing us. It's just not a move I think moves the needle enough for me to support. I'd sooner keep both assets and see where we are next season.
So you value a 2nd round pick and Rykov more than Hall and the kids making the playoffs for the first time ever? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad