Confirmed with Link: Grabner to Devils for 2nd rounder and Rykov

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It was a bad trade, no matter how loud the faithful screams, no matter how much sarcasm you poor on it won't change the fact that this was a bad trade....not just a miss, one that didn't work out, it was a bad trade.

Giving an arch rival a top 60 pick and your best defenseman prospect for a rental, a real shitty one at that, is a terribly dumb gambit. I half think the trade was made just for the fact that it was never done before.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It was a bad trade, no matter how loud the faithful screams, no matter how much sarcasm you poor on it won't change the fact that this was a bad trade....not just a miss, one that didn't work out, it was a bad trade.

Giving an arch rival a top 60 pick and your best defenseman prospect for a rental, a real ****ty one at that, is a terribly dumb gambit. I half think the trade was made just for the fact that it was never done before.
Lol. Awful take, as usual.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

Giving an arch rival a top 60 pick and your best defenseman prospect for a rental, a real ****ty one at that, is a terribly dumb gambit. I half think the trade was made just for the fact that it was never done before.

give it tiiiiiime man

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
give it tiiiiiime man

Well, Grabner has already played 1/3 of the games he will ever play as a Devil so not exactly sure how much time is needed there. Of course, there is more time needed for 2nd round Rangers' draftee and Rykov to develop but IF they become meaningful NHL-ers it's only going to look worse for us.

nope horrible trade fire Shero Rykov will be better than Lidstrom

nah, amazing trade, Shero GM of the year (and decade)
Grabner better than Gretzky sign him 7x7M
Rykov bust
2nd rounders always bust
we gonna win Stanley Cup

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Wow, we gave them someone who has close to no chance to make the NHL (the % of 2nd rounders having a impact at the NHL level is pretty awful) and a guy who was never coming over to play in NJ.

It's like we moved Merrill (a 2nd round bust) and a scratch and win ticket for a rental. Imagine if we didn't acquire Grabner and Maroon with the injuries we just had in Zajac and Zacha. We'd be force to play Stafford and Hayes, even if they're not centers... did you think about that for a second?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Well, Grabner has already played 1/3 of the games he will ever play as a Devil

you don't know that

Of course, there is more time needed for 2nd round Rangers' draftee and Rykov to develop but IF they become meaningful NHL-ers it's only going to look worse for us.

let's judge the trade on what grabner does, not what a future draft pick and a shifty russian do 3 years from now. is that fair?

nah, amazing trade, Shero GM of the year (and decade)
Grabner better than Gretzky sign him 7x7M
Rykov bust
2nd rounders always bust
we gonna win Stanley Cup

typical strawman

and by the way, i say all that as someone who feels NJ loses the trade if grabner doesn't re-sign or help us go deep in the playoffs. i'm realistic, which means i'm able to look at the potential downside while not writing it off as a complete failure just yet.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
you don't know that

If he doesn't produce, probably neither Shero nor Grabner will be interested in continuuing this saga

let's judge the trade on what grabner does, not what a future draft pick and a shifty russian do 3 years from now. is that fair?

Fine. So which team, in your opinion, won 2009 Scott Gomez trade?

Traded from New York Rangers with Michael Busto and Tom Pyatt to Montreal Canadiens for Doug Janik, Chris Higgins, Pavel Valentenko and Ryan McDonagh

Also what Grabner does, doesn't matter since we are not contenders this year and he probably won't be here next year and even if we re-sign him we will have to pay market value for him (so it's better to let him walk)

and by the way, i say all that as someone who feels NJ loses the trade if grabner doesn't re-sign or help us go deep in the playoffs. i'm realistic, which means i'm able to look at the potential downside while not writing it off as a complete failure just yet.

I disagree with this. At this point, we lose this trade to lesser extent if we give up on him because we don't need him long-term, certainly not for his market value. If we make it to ECF with his help, then I'd agree that this trade wasn't that bad because amazing result in the playoffs could lure high quality UFAs. But my point isn't about Grabner per se but about the type of the trade (giving up valuable futures when you aren't really contender yet). If we traded for E. Kane, I'd be unhappy too even though he's a very good player. We aren't there yet IMO.

And while I consider this trade failure, I think that overall Shero has been doing very good job and this is only a small slip-up.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We won't really know what we gave up for a few years. If Rykov becomes the defense version of Bratt, or that 2nd round pick ends up being a really good player, then yes it was a bad deal. But if you're playing the odds, a 2nd round pick and prospect who was picked in the 5th round versus an accomplished NHL goal scorer, you probably take the proven player. It's a gamble, just like every trade is. Given the overwhelming success Shero has had in trads since taking over, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even if it doesn't work out, it's not like we sold the farm for Grabner.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Here for Grabner to be one of the key players for this team down the stretch. He's the type of player who needs time to learn to fit into a system and allow his teammates to adapt to his playing style. A guy like Maroon who just goes to the front of the net and throws his body around in the corners is much more of a plug and play piece. Extremely unfair to judge a guy on a sample size of less than 10 games.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Rykov was not our best D prospect.

It's not about the depth chart, it's about the "futures won't help us in the next 2-3 years so they are irrevelant" mindset.

We won't really know what we gave up for a few years. If Rykov becomes the defense version of Bratt, or that 2nd round pick ends up being a really good player, then yes it was a bad deal. But if you're playing the odds, a 2nd round pick and prospect who was picked in the 5th round versus an accomplished NHL goal scorer, you probably take the proven player. It's a gamble, just like every trade is. Given the overwhelming success Shero has had in trads since taking over, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even if it doesn't work out, it's not like we sold the farm for Grabner.

Sorry but you're making it way to simple. There are different variables that need to be taken into account when analyzing this trade - first of all, what's the point of going for quite expensive rentals, if you aren't contender? I repeat, even if we got E. Kane at the deadline, I'd be unhappy because no winger that was traded last month makes us a legitimate candidate for the Stanley Cup. Second of all, you have to take into account contracts. If 2nd round pick pans out, he's going to be very cheap on ELC and still cheap on the second contract. Same goes for Rykov. Yes, it is a gamble but it's better to gamble in a smart way (e. g. Palmieri), and not like this because, let's say, that Grabner ended up being excellent fit (let's assume PPG for the rest of the season). What do you do next? You look at Grabner's history, now Grabner has 27 and 35 goal seasons, his value as an UFA goes up and you have to offer him multi-year contract at 5M+. At the same point, you realize that he had down years and you realize that if you want to build a legitimate contender offering long-term contracts to Grabners of this world actually makes your team worse.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hynes asked Grabner what side he'd prefer playing. He wanted to defer to a vet who thinks he's more comfortable on the other side and try to acclimate him into a new environment. It's not as simple as Hynes reinventing the wheel.

I do think it's about at the point where they need to tell Grabner to go back to the right side. This is Kovalchuk in reverse (instead of forcing him to play on a side he doesn't want, they're trying to force him playing on the side he wants where he's clearly not as effective)

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Rykov was not our best D prospect.

He was in the conversation, and I'd argue he was. Walsh is really the only one that contends but Rykov is playing well at a professional level and showed well when against players in his age group.

I still really don't like that we traded Rykov, not even taking into to account who the trade was with. That said, it's still early into the trade and hopefully Grabner can pay dividends sooner rather than later. I still think he fits our system well. Whether it takes moving him to the right side, finding linemates that compliment him a little better or a little more time to adjust to the system, I think he'll fit in eventually. I just hope it's in time to help us push for the playoffs.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A young bubble team, still very much in a building process, who still can very much could miss the playoffs and at the absolute best, might win a a round...

Trades a Division rival that has decided to do a rebuild, a defenseman prospect and most likely a top 50 pick for a 30 year old UFA.. ..

Those are the facts without prejudice.

Anyone who thinks a team of our stature should be trading futures to a Division rivial for a 30 year old UFA is beyond delusional. Im actually not sure how one can even make an argument with a straight face it is so stupid.

You get UFA's at the deadline for futures SOLELY to make noise in playoffs and you certainly don't help a Division rivial rebuild while you're rebuilding yourself.

Even making a case for this is propagrandizing, robotic partyline drone like nonsense.

Tell me how we win this trade? Sign a 30 year old Grabner to a multi year deal and hope the futures bust?
Absolutely moronic.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Grabner plays like he just doesn't care. Everything is done with a fake half ass effort. It's like he's doing it on purpose and he's still wearing his Rangers jersey underneath his Devils one....

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Grabner plays like he just doesn't care. Everything is done with a fake half ass effort. It's like he's doing it on purpose and he's still wearing his Rangers jersey underneath his Devils one....

Probably the dumbest quote I've seen in a while.

Yeah, I'm certain he's not playing well cause he doesn't want to maximize his chances of getting a lucrative deal come this summer. He'll probably settle for what ever the Rags offer him instead of improving his stock and get better offers from other teams.

Sometimes I don't know where you people get your ideas.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
A young bubble team, still very much in a building process, who still can very much could miss the playoffs and at the absolute best, might win a a round...

Trades a Division rival that has decided to do a rebuild, a defenseman prospect and most likely a top 50 pick for a 30 year old UFA.. ..

Those are the facts without prejudice.

Anyone who thinks a team of our stature should be trading futures to a Division rivial for a 30 year old UFA is beyond delusional. Im actually not sure how one can even make an argument with a straight face it is so stupid.

You get UFA's at the deadline for futures SOLELY to make noise in playoffs and you certainly don't help a Division rivial rebuild while you're rebuilding yourself.

Even making a case for this is propagrandizing, robotic partyline drone like nonsense.

Tell me how we win this trade? Sign a 30 year old Grabner to a multi year deal and hope the futures bust?
Absolutely moronic.

The 2nd round pick busting or becoming a star has nothing to do with the trade. So that's number 1. That's just the range of possibilities with a 2nd round pick, most of which are busting but certainly some are not. Rykov's performance will have some bearing on it, but I discount it slightly insofar as getting Rykov to sign in New Jersey might've been a challenge and I think it will be easier for the Rangers to sign him. Number 2, it's very easy to say all this after Grabner has had 7 pointless games and the Devils' playoff hopes look worse off than when the trade was made. What if he had 3 or 4 goals and the Devils were 5 points up? I think these posts wouldn't exist.

And yes, one of the best outcomes would've been signing Grabner to a multi-year deal. It still is. Here's hoping he can find himself before season's end.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The 2nd round pick busting or becoming a star has nothing to do with the trade. So that's number 1. That's just the range of possibilities with a 2nd round pick, most of which are busting but certainly some are not. Rykov's performance will have some bearing on it, but I discount it slightly insofar as getting Rykov to sign in New Jersey might've been a challenge and I think it will be easier for the Rangers to sign him. Number 2, it's very easy to say all this after Grabner has had 7 pointless games and the Devils' playoff hopes look worse off than when the trade was made. What if he had 3 or 4 goals and the Devils were 5 points up? I think these posts wouldn't exist.

And yes, one of the best outcomes would've been signing Grabner to a multi-year deal. It still is. Here's hoping he can find himself before season's end.

fact remains

he's done f*** all in 7 straight games….shero bought the leafs version of grabner

but whatever, come july he'll be a footnote in the teams history along with stafford and hayes

pointless trade

Reactions: Devils Dominion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad