Confirmed with Link: Grabner to Devils for 2nd rounder and Rykov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If you look at top2 centers on legit contenders you see (didn't put VGK on this list because almost everyone there has career season):
1) WPG - Scheifele, Stastny
2) NSH - Johansen, Turris
3) PIT - Crosby, Malkin
4) WSH - Kuznetsov, Backstrom
5) TBL - Stamkos, Point/Gourde/Johnson
6) SJ - Couture/Thornton,
7) LA - Kopitar/Carter,
8) BOS - Krejci/Bergeron
9) ANA - Getzlaf/Kesler,

If you compare above duos to Hischier (now, in the future he will get better) and Zacha or Zajac, it's laughable.

That's why if we want to contend we should go for Stastny or Tavares:
Tavares - Hischier - Zacha/Zajac - Coleman/Boyle
Hischier - Stastny - Zacha/Zajac - Coleman/Boyle

I don't disagree with you, but Statsny isn't the answer as a UFA at his age.

None of those guys you have listed there were acquired as 31 year old UFAs. All were either drafted and developed by the team they are on or acquired when they were in the mid 20s and already developed as a top six C. (Little was Winnipeg's 2C all year and got them to their current record).

The Devils solution to this (outside of trading for a guy like Johansen/Kesler/Turris) is to develop Zacha. If we sign Statsny, we lose that development spot for Zacha. Zacha still can develop into a Johansen, Kesler, Carter, Turris, Krejci, etc. Compare his draft +2 and +3 years to those guys and there isn't much difference.

The only way Statsny would make sense is if you dump Zajac. I can't see any teams being interested in acquiring Zajac at his contract without the Devils retaining or dumping Zajac as a negative asset. At that point, I'd rather just have Zajac and develop Zacha.

Tavares is a completely different story, but that also depends what he wants on his next deal.

EDIT: My bad, thought this was the team thread, so it's probably better to take this conversation there or the Zacha thread.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
1C vs 2C has the potential to be a generational vs exceptional level discussion. popcorn.keithmorrison

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This season?! What? He's #1C in NJ because his competition for that spot is Zacha/Zajac but quick glance over NHL teams tells me that on almost all teams he wouldn't be #1C.

Nico is 42nd in the entire NHL in ES points/60. Thats among ALL NHL players, not just rookies, not just forwards, etc
Nico is a positive Corsi player, as a rookie
Nico is already a very good defensive forward, as a rookie

yes, Nico is a 1C.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He's gotta get in on a goal at some point. Don't forget Vats had no points forever coming in from Rico trade, so maybe we just gotta warm him up some more. Unforunately this team is gonna run outta runway if he doesn't get going soon.

He did have once chance i remember tonight (vs. Jets), but other than that, fairly non-factor offensively.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Grabner's going to finally get on the scoresheet Saturday night. Book it.

With our luck it'll be a useless goal in a 5-2 loss.

He's gotta get in on a goal at some point. Don't forget Vats had no points forever coming in from Rico trade, so maybe we just gotta warm him up some more. Unforunately this team is gonna run outta runway if he doesn't get going soon.

He did have once chance i remember tonight (vs. Jets), but other than that, fairly non-factor offensively.

That's the risk with rentals...there's the chance they don't find it before the end of the season. This road trip would at least be a good time for him and Maroon to have team bonding with everyone else.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'm not even mad at Grabner because he currently seems a net neutral on this team. Neither good nor bad, its like he's doing nothing either way so at least he's not a negative factor on ice.

Maroon on the other hand, eventhough he got a bunch of points, i feel somethings off with balance of lines. It's not even that Maroon is doing anything wrong, on the contrary he's got all these points, but somehow the lines are not right anymore, or the style of those lines is not effective 5 on 5. We were firing pretty well right up until the Trade Deadline... I mean just remember the Pitt game, islanders game, etc. Grabner looked fine in Islanders game...

It's all just a gut subjective feeling at this point.... :|

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I tend to give traded players at least 10-15 games before I start to worry. I know the expectations on rentals are different because of how few games are left on the schedule, but I think Grabner could still work out for us.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I tend to give traded players at least 10-15 games before I start to worry. I know the expectations on rentals are different because of how few games are left on the schedule, but I think Grabner could still work out for us.

nope horrible trade fire Shero Rykov will be better than Lidstrom

Reactions: Bleedred

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Grabner's going to finally get on the scoresheet Saturday night. Book it.

I think I have heard that one before. :D Imho Grabner was traded to us by the Rangers only to play as badly as he possibly can. His only task is to make us miss the playoffs. After doing his job successfully, the Rangers keep their promise and sign him to a long term contract. After that he will score 30+ goals for 5 more seasons.

Reactions: Japam

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I think I have heard that one before. :D Imho Grabner was traded to us by the Rangers only to play as badly as he possibly can. His only task is to make us miss the playoffs. After doing his job successfully, the Rangers keep their promise and sign him to a long term contract. After that he will score 30+ goals for 5 more seasons.
Lol... while this is obv absurd... it would be a real kick in the pants if Grabner did bust here, resign with the Rangers and Rykov became a 1st pair guy that the Devils have to watch/play against for a bunch of years in the Garden. Would be a new chapter in the rivalry for sure. But hey, its not over yet.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

why is JrFischer54 quoted? that wsn't his post?

anyway, i'm still happy with the deal. when he gets going, he'll get going. give it some time. i don't know what you do for a living, but imagine packing up your stuff and starting a similar job at a completely different company tomorrow. let me know if you'd need more than a couple of weeks to adjust

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
I didn't like the trade at the start and he hasnt changed my mind yet. But he better start producing...makes you wonder why he's been on so many teams at his age and never got a long term deal after scoring 25 goals several times. Certainly a red flag. And to make things worse, this was a deal with the damn Rangers. I dont want to think worse case scenarios....because I still think we will make the playoffs...but if we don't and Grabner signs back with the rangers and they have a top 40 pick because of us and then Rykov decides to come over after next season and turns out to be a nice top 4 guy. I doin't think i'll be able to handle these obnoxious ranger fans rubbing it in our faces..

So please make the playoffs. Grabner score goals. 2nd round pick bust. Rykov never come over. and I can be happy. please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad