"Grabbing hold of something" (Nyquist/Babcock)

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Babs has different length ropes for different players. Some guys get a long, long leash. Others are always on the short leash- one mistake is a bus ticket to GR or healthy scratch. He's a hard guy to figure out

RedWingsNow*

I wouldn't bet that I have seen both guys play quite a bit. Will be interesting to see how DD adjusts to the pro game, but his positioning is far superior. He is a better skater and passer that plays a bigger game. There will be an adjustment period without any pro hockey under his belt, but I do think he is better than Lashoff right now.

There is a reason Helene St. James tweeted about top 4 minutes with PP time. They are offering DD a chance to come in a play if the reports are correct. They have seen him extensively traveling in big groups to watch him play in person. The Wings are clearly sold on him as a group and given the close family relationship he has with Nill and his father skating with Mickey, I think he might benefit from something else. The guys in his way that some people think might actually be moved out of his way quicker, that is speculation but as I said I found the tweets from our beat reporters interesting, it seems he is getting a chance they were reluctant to even offer to Schultz. I think he will still have to start in GR, but it seems they really don't think he will be there long, could be a negotiation tactic, but having watched him play I think it is just because he is a pretty finished and polished product defensively.

Moving Kindl or Smith off the 2nd unit PP for Dekeyser would be stupid

RedWingsNow*

To be fair, White and Huskins could probably fetch something at the TDL and Colaiacovo will probably get injured instantly. Or, Kindl could be dealt, as your earlier post suggested. It looks like a lot, but I don't think it really is.

It's a lot on quantity.
Not so much on quality.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Moving Kindl or Smith off the 2nd unit PP for Dekeyser would be stupid

I agree with that, just saying what was put out there. I think moving Kindl or Smith to the 1st PP unit would be welcoming though. Get Brunner off the point and get Ian White's weak point shot and penchant to shot too often with low percentage chances away from the PP.

Understand the right handed shot logic, I just don't think it brings enough that Smith or Kindl shouldn't be out there with the big boys.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I definitely think Nyquist is grabbing ahold. His effort and intensity were unmatched the last game against Aneheim. I actually think he should be put on a better line. Take Abby off of Datsyuk's wing and put Nyquist there.:yo:

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Dats and Abby just started clicking and Abby got a hatty. Why move him now???

I think Nyquist is doing well, maybe a spot on a 3rd line that is more of a line 2(a).

I don't think we have enough skilled forwards to do that like we did in past years but if you really wanted to showcase Andersson, Nyquist and Tatar I think they'd bring something of that ilk, just a bit small and prone to getting smoked by larger teams like Anaheim etc. I'd like to see it for a game just to wistfully say what if.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
Nuquist is trying to do too much. As a result a turnover/breakaway/penalty shot.

I agree with this, overall in the first half of the game he seemed pretty solid creating, but in the second half he seemed to be trying to hard to be creative and it resulted in quite a few turnovers. I'm a big believer in this kid though, I hope he doesn't get sent down just yet for that game. If I was Babcock, I would sit him next game and just go over some of those mistakes with him and let him watch the next game from the press box and then put him in next game and see if he figures it out.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
The camera moved on to Babcocks face right after the turn over/breakaway and it didn't look good for Nyquist. Usually in prior games when it's this close he doesn't sniff the ice that late in the game. The only reason he was on the ice was for the PP and he made a huge mistake.

Don't want to put words in Babcocks mouth but from his look I don't think we see Nyquist next game. He's moved him from the second line to the third and now to the fourth for the past few. After his failed attempts to gain the zone trying to stick handle and this give away that nearly tied the game short handed.

Don't get me wrong I wish he would succeed but other then his break away I have been very unimpressed. I was hoping he could step in and be a solid third liner but so far it's been tough. To me Tatar looked a lot better. Stronger on his skates and created more chances for himself and teammates.

Please don't take this as hating on Nyquist but I don't believe he's won a spot over anybody on this team. I would rather have Tootoo in the line-up. You can see the talent but I think he trying so hard to make an impression that he not making the smart play and it's actually hurting him more.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I agree with this, overall in the first half of the game he seemed pretty solid creating, but in the second half he seemed to be trying to hard to be creative and it resulted in quite a few turnovers. I'm a big believer in this kid though, I hope he doesn't get sent down just yet for that game. If I was Babcock, I would sit him next game and just go over some of those mistakes with him and let him watch the next game from the press box and then put him in next game and see if he figures it out.

I think he is making turnover mistakes because he KNOWS he has to DO SOMETHING to stay. Playing safe and smart will not earn him a spot on the team. He has learned to play RISKY. And that generally is not a good sign. Maybe risky makes him more confident, but it can also lead to goals against. I think how they are using him is showing up in his game.

RedWingsNow*

Nyquist's error was brutal. But he got another shift, didn't he?

RedWingsNow*

Dats and Abby just started clicking and Abby got a hatty. Why move him now???

I think Nyquist is doing well, maybe a spot on a 3rd line that is more of a line 2(a).

I don't think we have enough skilled forwards to do that like we did in past years but if you really wanted to showcase Andersson, Nyquist and Tatar I think they'd bring something of that ilk, just a bit small and prone to getting smoked by larger teams like Anaheim etc. I'd like to see it for a game just to wistfully say what if.

Two fluke goals.
A lucky hat trick.

And back to normal. No points for two games.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I think he is making turnover mistakes because he KNOWS he has to DO SOMETHING to stay. Playing safe and smart will not earn him a spot on the team. He has learned to play RISKY. And that generally is not a good sign. Maybe risky makes him more confident, but it can also lead to goals against. I think how they are using him is showing up in his game.

He will be fine. It is very rare for an AHL player to come in and dominate... Look at Kadri in Toronto? For a prime example. Guys like Conacher and Tarasenko they are playing WAY more minutes and with better talent around them. Nyquist is being eased into it and he will be full time top 6 next year.

I see good things to come for him NEXT year. Helm/Tuzzi need to come back and add some experience to the line up too. Helmer would be a good center for Nyquist as both have great speed.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Still high on Gus but he looked way better last year in his brief call-up than he has at any point this season. Last year, with some of the shifty moves he would make/attempt and the similar build, he was kind of looked like a poor man's diet-Datsyuk-lite.

This year, besides the breakaway, he hasnt shown much of anything. I still like him, however. He will be fine next year in a top6 role, he just needs to get his feet wet in the NHL for an extended period of time. A shortened season isnt conducive to breaking in a player like Nyquist.

I was all for inking his name onto the roster 3 weeks ago when the Wings were trending downward in a freaking hurry. But with the recent surge, its pretty clear the Wings are going to make the playoffs.

Still 1st round fodder, but they will make it.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
Still high on Gus but he looked way better last year in his brief call-up than he has at any point this season. Last year, with some of the shifty moves he would make/attempt and the similar build, he was kind of looked like a poor man's diet-Datsyuk-lite.

This year, besides the breakaway, he hasnt shown much of anything. I still like him, however. He will be fine next year in a top6 role, he just needs to get his feet wet in the NHL for an extended period of time. A shortened season isnt conducive to breaking in a player like Nyquist.

I was all for inking his name onto the roster 3 weeks ago when the Wings were trending downward in a freaking hurry. But with the recent surge, its pretty clear the Wings are going to make the playoffs.

Still 1st round fodder, but they will make it.

I agree with this, and think we definitely make it as 1st round fodder as well. At this point, I am hoping though we make it in as the 8th seed, keep the playoff streak going, lose in the 1st round and use whatever assets we have to trade up that 15th overall and somehow get into 5th-8th overall draft range. I don't care what it takes, Holland has been hoarding all his beloved prospects for way too long, it's time to evaluate what you have (prospects and players) and those that you think will make a definite impact you keep, and those you are still unsure of you move it if you can. I love Gus but if you plan on keeping Babcock you discuss with him and see if Babcock wants him on the roster. If he thinks Tatar has a better shot than Gus you package Gus with that 15th overall and our 2nd rounder, and whatever else you can to try and get a 5th to 8th overall draft pick, maybe even higher I don't care. This team is set in its ways of doing things and doesn't want to do the Oiler/Penguins/Hawks/Lightning style rebuild, that's fine with me, but you're going to have to find a way to get a true draft immediate impact talent then without taking the route those teams took, and this is the season to do it. Of course I'm being hypothetical I'm not saying lets move Gus, but Gus does have value, and we have other players with value.

15th overall plus 45th overall plus one of our best forward prospects (Gus/Tatar/Jurco) plus one of our best d prospects (Sproul/Ouellet) might be able to get us that 5th overall draft pick. If there is someone the wings staff has identified as a sure thing with that pick I hope we are aggressive trying to do it.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I agree with this, and think we definitely make it as 1st round fodder as well. At this point, I am hoping though we make it in as the 8th seed, keep the playoff streak going, lose in the 1st round and use whatever assets we have to trade up that 15th overall and somehow get into 5th-8th overall draft range. I don't care what it takes, Holland has been hoarding all his beloved prospects for way too long, it's time to evaluate what you have (prospects and players) and those that you think will make a definite impact you keep, and those you are still unsure of you move it if you can. I love Gus but if you plan on keeping Babcock you discuss with him and see if Babcock wants him on the roster. If he thinks Tatar has a better shot than Gus you package Gus with that 15th overall and our 2nd rounder, and whatever else you can to try and get a 5th to 8th overall draft pick, maybe even higher I don't care. This team is set in its ways of doing things and doesn't want to do the Oiler/Penguins/Hawks/Lightning style rebuild, that's fine with me, but you're going to have to find a way to get a true draft immediate impact talent then without taking the route those teams took, and this is the season to do it. Of course I'm being hypothetical I'm not saying lets move Gus, but Gus does have value, and we have other players with value.

15th overall plus 45th overall plus one of our best forward prospects (Gus/Tatar/Jurco) plus one of our best d prospects (Sproul/Ouellet) might be able to get us that 5th overall draft pick. If there is someone the wings staff has identified as a sure thing with that pick I hope we are aggressive trying to do it.

Idk, if we are going to spend that much I might prefer a Bobby Ryan type.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Tatar is more NHL ready than Nyquist. Pretty sure of that now. But Nyquist, even last year, never seemed to have the kinds of hands I expected from reading people's scouting reports. He's clearly getting more comfortable though. He'll keep making mistakes, but everyone does once in a while.

So far his biggest talent to me is his positioning and seeing the ice. He broke up a couple plays last night just being in the right place and turned them into scoring chances. That's vintage Datsyuk. But he doesn't have the hands (yet?) to capitalize.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
Idk, if we are going to spend that much I might prefer a Bobby Ryan type.

If that can get us a Bobby Ryan type I'm all for that as well, but I think we are going to have spend more than we want to if we want to get something that will make more of an immediate impact. Holland has been hoarding his assets for a while now, it's time to do real evaluation and start to decide which assets to keep and which to give away to make improvements this summer

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
If that can get us a Bobby Ryan type I'm all for that as well, but I think we are going to have spend more than we want to if we want to get something that will make more of an immediate impact. Holland has been hoarding his assets for a while now, it's time to do real evaluation and start to decide which assets to keep and which to give away to make improvements this summer

Agreed. Id rather spend a little more for a established player like Ryan then give up prospects for another potential prospect who isnt proven yet.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Agreed. Id rather spend a little more for a established player like Ryan then give up prospects for another potential prospect who isnt proven yet.

I'd love to have Ryan on our team but I'd rather trade up in the draft because it could get us something that we lack in the prospect pool a #1C, something that Ryan is not and will never be.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

Anaheim has no reason to give up Ryan right now. He is on a very affordable contract.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Tatar is more NHL ready than Nyquist. Pretty sure of that now. But Nyquist, even last year, never seemed to have the kinds of hands I expected from reading people's scouting reports. He's clearly getting more comfortable though. He'll keep making mistakes, but everyone does once in a while.

So far his biggest talent to me is his positioning and seeing the ice. He broke up a couple plays last night just being in the right place and turned them into scoring chances. That's vintage Datsyuk. But he doesn't have the hands (yet?) to capitalize.

I also think Tatar showed more tha Nyquist. But I think now there are several players fighting for the line up spots Emmerton, Eaves, Miller, Tootoo, Tatar, Nyquist, Andersson. I think many posters here would add Abby and Cleary, maybe even Samuealsson, but I think those 3 are out of question in Babcock's mind (that is what really counts, he makes decisions). I believe we might write Bertuzzi off, his career is more or less over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad