Grabbing an extra 1st

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
With our want/need for an extra 1st rounder

what move(s) do you think we could realistically make to ensure that extra pick comes our way ?

I see only 2 possible teams that i would look into trading with, Carolina's 2nd 1st roughly 23rd overall
and tampa's 2nd 1st 27th.

Think it's possible to dangle AA and maybe svech to carolina as a basis for that 23rd pick ?

I understand AA's value is quite low and will be tough to get value which is why i added svech being his brother is playing there as well but his value is quite low as well haha, Just trying to gauge what we could realistically part with that won't hurt too much of our future. Or do we just not have the assets to make this type of move ?

Reactions: vladdy16

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
With our want/need for an extra 1st rounder

what move(s) do you think we could realistically make to ensure that extra pick comes our way ?

I see only 2 possible teams that i would look into trading with, Carolina's 2nd 1st roughly 23rd overall
and tampa's 2nd 1st 27th.

Think it's possible to dangle AA and maybe svech to carolina as a basis for that 23rd pick ?

I understand AA's value is quite low and will be tough to get value which is why i added svech being his brother is playing there as well but his value is quite low as well haha, Just trying to gauge what we could realistically part with that won't hurt too much of our future. Or do we just not have the assets to make this type of move ?

We are probably best positioned to get a first this summer taking back an awful contract.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Grabbing another first isn’t a bad idea, but I think AA will be back to a 30G scorer next season with a better coach and line mates. He has enough skill and speed to be a threat on this team for years. Also, trading him at this point wouldn’t merit you a 1st alone, but adding Svech and him would IMO be giving up way too much for another first. Unless you think Svech is spare parts and not part of this team’s future...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think selling AA is the only option. Our other pieces are 2nd round value at maximum, or needed for the future.

Some kind of conditional 1st or very low 1st.

Reactions: Darkseider

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I don't think any FRP's will be traded between now and the TDL. GM's know it's a deep draft and will hold on to them now.

Reactions: Gniwder

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I don't think any FRP's will be traded between now and the TDL. GM's know it's a deep draft and will hold on to them now.

Nobody knows how deep the draft is beyond speculating the top 1-3 tiers of talent. Those top 3 tiers are usually something along the lines of 1-2, 3-7 and 8 through maybe 16. Every year is a "deep draft" for the sake of both optimism and marketing. The reality is the scouts don't even know how those top 16ish guys will play out and they know that by now. In hindsight, we resulted in having deep drafts for at the time considered a weak draft class and vice versa. To much depends on how these kids actually mature and develop. They are 18 year olds.

With that said, no playoff team will hesitate to burn a late 1st simply because of the quality of the draft.

I'm ok with moving AA if the return is good. I think AA would be a very interesting weapon to own on a good team, but considering how far away the Wings are, I do not see AA as a player fit to go through this rebuild. Get what we can and let him go do his thing.

Reactions: 14ari13

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I think AA nets a late first by himself honestly.

I have my problems with AA but as a third line winger on a contenders deep roster I think he’d be electric. If I was Tampa I’d do that deal yesterday.

Carolina might have the best third line (by production) in the league. Idk if they need to add scoring.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Svechnikov is not spare part, he is still recovering from his injury and he is very good as locker room person. Just like you said it is great overpayment

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Wonder if Fabri can bring us first, don't know though if it makes sense.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Other than AA, there is no one else we should or could trade that gets us another 1st this year. Honestly even AA isn't a guarantee for a 1st! Evander Kane is a much better player (although I can't stand him) and he only netted a cond. 1st, among what he was acquired for, and he scores more and provides intangibles that AA does not. I think we can get a 2nd and ok-decent prospect for him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Other than AA, there is no one else we should or could trade that gets us another 1st this year. Honestly even AA isn't a guarantee for a 1st! Evander Kane is a much better player (although I can't stand him) and he only netted a cond. 1st, among what he was acquired for, and he scores more and provides intangibles that AA does not. I think we can get a 2nd and ok-decent prospect for him.

Evander Kane was UFA and Athanasiou is not.

Bad comparable.

Reactions: ealong59

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Last year's AA would get you a first, this year's version wouldnt land half that IMO. showing some flaws and lack of progression. Someone will get him cheaper than they should have and it'll be either a home run or a pure flop.

That being said, i want to like him more but this year showed some lack of progression IMO and id rather move on from this experiement. more so considering he will probably ask for 5m+ and personally i dont think he's worth a nickle, right now, over 3.5-4m.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Last year's AA would get you a first, this year's version wouldnt land half that IMO. showing some flaws and lack of progression. Someone will get him cheaper than they should have and it'll be either a home run or a pure flop.

That being said, i want to like him more but this year showed some lack of progression IMO and id rather move on from this experiement. more so considering he will probably ask for 5m+ and personally i dont think he's worth a nickle, right now, over 3.5-4m.

last years AA gets you a first second and third. This years AA with last year under his belt, I think, gets you a late first

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

AA has talent. I just want someone else to be the one taking the time and effort to try to snake charm it out of him. If you're having to hand-hold a guy into giving an effort every night, that is a player who isn't worth a ton to me. There is a difference between showing a guy trust and having to manage him directly. Maybe if this was with a couple years older Dylan Larkin and Larkin went ot him and said Andreas, get your head out of your ass and skate, it would be different. Right now the step Larkin needs to take is the mantle of "follow me and keep up". He plays hard himself, but he needs to start getting to where he'll break his foot off in dudes' asses if they dog it.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Keep in mind AA bounce back people who hate the coach and are pining for Gallant. Neal and Perron were deemed expendable because of defensive issues and wanting more money than their role. Tomas Tatar didn't have enough defensive acumen to fit in with Vegas either. Gallant is more likely to outright bench him than maximize his value.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I would only trade AA if it gets us a top-15 pick, and I doubt it will. He's only 25 and has had a 30 goal season in the NHL. He brings a few things no one else on the team does. I think it's silly that the fanbase hates him because he wouldn't bow down to Holland and take a low-ball contract, and he has more than played up to the contract he got.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I would only trade AA if it gets us a top-15 pick, and I doubt it will. He's only 25 and has had a 30 goal season in the NHL. He brings a few things no one else on the team does. I think it's silly that the fanbase hates him because he wouldn't bow down to Holland and take a low-ball contract, and he has more than played up to the contract he got.

Cut it out with this.

People don't hate him for that. Or if they do, they're stupid. People are looking to deal him because NOW he'll be looking for a bigger contract than he's worth, he's not allaying fears that the 30 goal season he did have was anything other than a flash in the pan, and he's not just bad defensively, he's been one of the worst in the league. They dislike him because they see the talent that leads to a 30 goal season and the majority of the time are left wondering, why the **** can't you do that on a nightly basis? If it is at all true that he's sulking through this year and that's playing any role in him slumping, I don't have time for a player like that. You shouldn't have to be coddled like a child into playing well.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
last years AA gets you a first second and third. This years AA with last year under his belt, I think, gets you a late first

Nah. Trade values are down over the past few seasons in general. Look at all the TDL deals, how many of them included a first in the mix? Not many. There's no way AA would have generated that kind of return last season, and there's no way he gets us a FRP this season. Not with the way he's played and his unsightly +/-. We likely get a second rounder for AA, and that's a maybe. Some teams wouldn't even offer that.

I do not see any realistic way we add another FRP unless as someone else said we take on a really bad contract and get the pick as compensation in the deal. We don't have the expendable assets to get a good return like that. Frankly we have very few assets that are worth a FRP, so unless we're going to completely blow it up and move players like Larkin or Hronek then it isn't happening.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Cut it out with this.

People don't hate him for that. Or if they do, they're stupid. People are looking to deal him because NOW he'll be looking for a bigger contract than he's worth, he's not allaying fears that the 30 goal season he did have was anything other than a flash in the pan, and he's not just bad defensively, he's been one of the worst in the league. They dislike him because they see the talent that leads to a 30 goal season and the majority of the time are left wondering, why the **** can't you do that on a nightly basis? If it is at all true that he's sulking through this year and that's playing any role in him slumping, I don't have time for a player like that. You shouldn't have to be coddled like a child into playing well.

Every single player on the team is playing poorly, producing less, and giving less effort almost every game. Are they going to dump the whole roster?

This team is bad enough that they don't need to move anyone off the roster, and there is no one on the team they can get a first round pick for (that they are willing to trade). Trading AA is foolishness. I would say give him a few seasons and see if he matures some more.

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nah. Trade values are down over the past few seasons in general. Look at all the TDL deals, how many of them included a first in the mix? Not many. There's no way AA would have generated that kind of return last season, and there's no way he gets us a FRP this season. Not with the way he's played and his unsightly +/-. We likely get a second rounder for AA, and that's a maybe. Some teams wouldn't even offer that.

Just did read exact opposite from the Athletic. Teams are not ready to buy rentals with giving a 1st. But there more interest, if there's another contract year left, then value goes up. Many teams have willingness to take players, if there's another year left.

That's the case with Athanasiou. He is valued higher, because he is not a rental. RFA and another year with contract rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad