Grab Jake Dotchin as a free agent?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Not knowing much about him and going only on the scouting report below, sounds like he is a depth defender at best.

http://forecaster.ca/sportsnet/hockey/player.php?9336

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets:Has great size for the blueline position, plus the physicality to go with it (he loves to punish opponents). Also produced good offensive numbers at the junior level. Is right-handed, which also adds value.
Flaws:Needs to improve his defensive-zone coverage and become a steadier rearguard, in general. Must also avoid taking too many bad penalties that will hurt his team. Will not put up huge numbers in the NHL.
Career Potential:Big, solid defenseman with a little upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It seems like the Leafs have a lot of Dmen on the bubble already:

If we accept that the following are making the lineup:

Rielly
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Dermott

Then that leaves a log-jam of depth D fighting out for the 6th and 7th D positions:

Carrick
Ozhiganov
Borgman
Holl
Marincin
Rosen

I'm sure I'm missing a name or two in that mix too.
Dotchin isn't better than the top 5, and he just about mixes in with the bottom group, so I'd say no.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Jake Dotchin cleared waivers Saturday, paving the way for the Lightning to terminate his contract for what it called a material breach.

Can a material breach be JUST conditioning?

Big Sexy says .. "Conditioning? I use it every morning in my hair..."

C8svftCUAAEx43n.jpg

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
He's an absolutely ass who almost injured Matthews and took our guy out in the AHL.

Absolutely no interest in him.

Neither arm went up, which is pretty typical.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I've been hearing 25% body fat.

My god...

To put it into perspective, if Jake Dotchin were a woman of average height, he would be slightly chubby with enormous breasts (women typically carrying 8-12% more body fat on average than men).

He played his last NHL game on March 17. I'm baffled at how one goes from presumably game shape (8-13%) to 25% body fat in six months.

giphy.webp

Was this his summer workout plan?

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
25% body fat for a pro athlete is unacceptable and he fully deserves to have his contract terminated.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
25% body fat as a pro athlete is unacceptable and he fully deserves to have his contract terminated.

I cant workout at the moment, for about a year and im 25% with no working out. That is ludicrously bad for a pro athlete, its not only not working out in the offseason its eating and drinking shit every day of it

Reactions: Menzinger

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

My god...

To out it into perspective, if Jake Dotchin were a woman, he would be a slightly chubby woman with enormous breasts (women typically carrying 8-12% more body fat on average than men).

He played his last NHL game on March 17. I'm baffled at how one goes from presumably game shape (8-13%) to 25% body fat in six months.

giphy.webp

he must have been at the very high end of what % is considered acceptable by NHL teams, I don't know what that is but it cant be anywhere near even 20%. That is some packing on of weight in the summer like almost deliberately trying to get out shape to add THAT much (say 15% is the top end).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

My god...

To put it into perspective, if Jake Dotchin were a woman of average height, he would be slightly chubby with enormous breasts (women typically carrying 8-12% more body fat on average than men).

giphy.webp

Beer and Doritos.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
If the chart below is accurate 25% is not all that fat.

Body+Fat+Percentage.png

If 25% is fat, what is this guys BF%?

25% isn't fat, it's average - slightly paunchy, which is fine for you and me, go out watch the game with the boys and drink a few, work out intermittently or inconsistently, stressing about money, don't always eat the best, probably sleep deprived etc.,

But I think not just hockey but the way sports has evolved like this is fascinating. It's a job just like anything else, an extremely good one, but a job.

You could have played at 25% in the 1970s, if you were good. In 2018 though its not an NHL summer.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
25% isn't fat, it's average - slightly paunchy, which is fine for you and me, go out watch the game with the boys and drink a few, work out intermittently or inconsistently, stressing about money, don't always eat the best, probably sleep deprived etc.,

But I think not just hockey but the way sports has evolved like this is fascinating. It's a job just like anything else, an extremely good one, but a job.

You could have played at 25% in the 1970s, if you were good. In 2018 though its not an NHL summer.

Definitely, athletes the day or another breed compared to other one the past. But even still if your topline performer you can get up away at least a little bit with having weaker fitness, but in this case were talking about a 6/7D man, And it’s just unacceptable here

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Makes sense but there has to be more to this than just a guy showing up out of shape. Like if Stamkos showed up 25% they wouldn't cut him, they would shame him and force him to get into game shape.

There has to be more to this story than just the poor conditioning. IMO the poor conditioning reasoning is just a smoke screen The poor condition "story" also allows the player to save face if the reasoning is more severe. IE Ryan Malone or Mike Richards, not saying Jake has the same issues those guys did but if the reasoning is more serious than just poor off season habits, it allows the Lightning to cut ties without humiliating the player and publicly "outing" him.

Reactions: thewave

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Coming to camp at around 25% means he did no offseason training, only gifted guys like fat phil can do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad