Governors' Meeting Cancelled - with link

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
This entire process is an insult to this industry's entire market. Way to piss off your entire demographic. Both sides should be publicly be-headed.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Bicycle Repairman said:
Cracks developing in the Owners' Coalition! Ad-hoc Junta overthrows Bettman!

Coming soon to a thread title near you. :joker:

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Are you ever going to stop!?

Personly i can't wait to see that aviator of yours removed because of "nonsense" :D

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Why doesn't the NHL and the union just flush the season away, so we can forget about NHL hockey, just the way it forgot about the fans.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
T@T said:
:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Are you ever going to stop!?

Personly i can't wait to see that aviator of yours removed because of "nonsense" :D

My avatar? It's a picture of Bob Goodenow and a pro-NHLPA graphic. What's esthetically nonsensical about that? On the other hand, you have an avatar of a 6'1" player's head on the body of a dwarf.

But I digress. Here's the latest riposte from the inestimable Larry Brooks.

Hotchkiss and his "Mini-Me" Bettman have no answers

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Wait, Larry Brooks insulting Gary Bettman? EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT. It's Brooks' constant, and very familiar drivel that spews from his opinion in every one of columns.

I'll be the first to admit Bettman has done a pisspoor job running this league, but the guy will fix it, in the end, there will be cost certainty, and the NHL as a sporting league, and as a financial entity will be well on its way to economic stability.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
scaredsensfan said:
So despite all evidence to the contrary, and continual failures, you put your trust of the league's future in a lying weasel like Bettman? :joker: :handclap: :lol:

I've said it before on these boards that I think Bettman has done a terrible job marketing the game in the US, and that he has made many failures in his tenure as commissioner.

I, myself, have no trust put in Gary Bettman, because I'm not an owner. Whether they trust him or not is a whole different issue, all I said was, there will be cost certainty because Bettman won't consider the NHL starting up again without linkage, which will then in turn create economic stability in this league.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Nice for Bettman regarding linkage. Luckily the players are the product and fans will gravitate to where the best players are. If Bettman continues to insist on 'linkage' then the players will simply start up their own league. You cant tell me that its more realistic for them to wait out several years if the NHL is worthless.

As I s aid, fans go to see the best lpayers in the world. Whatever league has these plaeyrs will be the most successful.

Even if they dont have the NHL calibre rinks at first, once fans start coming out to see them play, the owners will cave, what are they going to do? Hold empty rinks with no teams playing in them?

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
scaredsensfan said:
Nice for Bettman regarding linkage. Luckily the players are the product and fans will gravitate to where the best players are. If Bettman continues to insist on 'linkage' then the players will simply start up their own league. You cant tell me that its more realistic for them to wait out several years if the NHL is worthless.

As I s aid, fans go to see the best lpayers in the world. Whatever league has these plaeyrs will be the most successful.

Even if they dont have the NHL calibre rinks at first, once fans start coming out to see them play, the owners will cave, what are they going to do? Hold empty rinks with no teams playing in them?

Of all the wild predictions that a guy will see on this site....this has to be one of the best..... :lol

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
scaredsensfan said:

You obviously have no idea what it takes to start a professional sports league. the process would take 2+ years and cost millions and millions of dollars. The players would have to invest a substantial portion of the personal wealth to do it with no guarantee they'll ever see a penny of it back. Do you really believe a large number of them will do that instead of playing in the NHL for a measly $1.3 million a year? Keep dreaming.
Of course, by the time 2+ years roll around, most players won't have much personal wealth to invest.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
scaredsensfan said:

First . I don't see Bell Canada and alike buying luk-o-box's at say Pierrefonds arena just because Jarg is playing there. High profile company's would never send VIP's to such an arena.
Second, No TV contract for this venue ( never)
Third, after investing their personal money just how much will each player ask to be paid? The same top players will demand the MAXIMUM pay all over again but this time the stockholders ( all the rest of the players ) would vote it down and the top players won't play. A dog eat dog player hockey league would be the result and with revenues way down players would be forced to pay themselves much less then even the 1.3mil offer.

THe current NHL must find a way to " not lose money" They must pay the players enough that the players won't start playing in any other league. If the players want a raise it of course must to tied to an overall better business proformance.
If the NHL does better then so will the players ( like every other freaking company)
A complete refusal to understand this basic business practice is at issue.

Let the players play fo MODO for 500,000 per and if he scores 90 goals and let him demand 3 million to play next year, see what MODO says after they look at their bottom line. ( good luck, and please don't slam the door on the way out )

PoolyBoys

Jan 5, 2005
RLC said:
First . I don't see Bell Canada and alike buying luk-o-box's at say Pierrefonds arena just because Jarg is playing there. High profile company's would never send VIP's to such an arena.
Second, No TV contract for this venue ( never)
Third, after investing their personal money just how much will each player ask to be paid? The same top players will demand the MAXIMUM pay all over again but this time the stockholders ( all the rest of the players ) would vote it down and the top players won't play. A dog eat dog player hockey league would be the result and with revenues way down players would be forced to pay themselves much less then even the 1.3mil offer.

THe current NHL must find a way to " not lose money" They must pay the players enough that the players won't start playing in any other league. If the players want a raise it of course must to tied to an overall better business proformance.
If the NHL does better then so will the players ( like every other freaking company)
A complete refusal to understand this basic business practice is at issue.

Let the players play fo MODO for 500,000 per and if he scores 90 goals and let him demand 3 million to play next year, see what MODO says after they look at their bottom line. ( good luck, and please don't slam the door on the way out )

You are right I just dont understand how the players can demand anything with the game in the state it's in. They should be happy that they have 30 teams and that many jobs for less skilled players, cause we all know the league has been watered down for years now because there is so many teams. No TV contract to speak of and nobody knocking at the door with any real money. I dont care what they have lost. If the NHL is only to be in upper USA and Canada then so be it. If other countries players dont want to come here and play cause they can stay home for the same money is that a bad thing.

Take out the red line call pentalies (all of them) and let the cards fall where they may.

To all the players if you really think a knowing hockey fan is on your side your kidding yourself...............................

Your paid to play a game Think about it??................

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
scaredsensfan said:

The players will start their own league??? Are you kidding... you must be kidding...there is NO WAY these guys have the capital or resources to start their own league...once again I will say it, there is a major difference between writing the cheques, as vs cashing the cheques...these guys could never agree on how a league should be run, who makes what $$$ and who has to fork it all over to get it going, the players starting their own league only happens in the cartoons.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
This whole notion of players starting their own league is the biggest joke I've heard throughout these entire negotiations. There is no way in hell that this new league would generate enough revenue to pay the players an average salary higher than 1.3 million, which is what the NHL is offering them.

Also, this league will not have anywhere close to 30 teams, maybe not even close to 25, or 20 teams to begin with, so hundreds of the PA's members would be without jobs in this league, so would the majority of the PA support this new league? Probably not.

Also, it would take this league about 2 - 3 years to actually get started, does the union have the will to fight a lockout for that long, not a chance.

A new league is the very definition of pipedream, what benefits do the players get out of starting their own league?

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And with most of the arenas owned by NHL owners or with exclusive leases to an NHL team, where would they play? It isn't easy to identify many facilities large enough to support such a league.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
It would be funny to hear how they would pitch their league to potential investors...

Yes sir, we want you to give us $X million so that we can build a league in direct competition with the billionaire owners of the NHL. The most important thing is that you can't have a salary cap or any other linkage between revenues and payrolls. I know your thinking that the NHL has reported losing $1.8 BILLION over the last 10 years and refused to settle for anything like what we want you to settle for, but you have to understand that all those Billionaire owners were fools and knew nothing about running an NHL team. Don't worry about the honorable Mr. Goodenow. He is only trying to do what's best for the league when he tells us to ask for exhorbitant salaries. I know your also wondering where we plan to play since the NHL has lease agreements with all the major rinks in north america, but we have identified good rinks in cities 25 to 100 miles away from the largest hockey markets. Don't worry about the distance, fans just want to see the best players in the world and will travel any distance and pay whatever we want to charge because we are "the product". Once our league starts up, the fans will forget all about their home town teams and the years of history behind those teams. How could they not when they could drive for hours a couple of times a week just to see us?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
struckmatch said:
This whole notion of players starting their own league is the biggest joke I've heard throughout these entire negotiations. There is no way in hell that this new league would generate enough revenue to pay the players an average salary higher than 1.3 million, which is what the NHL is offering them.

You're forgetting the owner's latest offer. $48.6 million cap works out to $1.62 million on average, not $1.3, so that's the new number to use. And with a guarantee that the median salary wouldn't change.

Brent Burns Beard