Governors' Meeting Cancelled - with link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't know what to think.

If the meeting was about setting a drop dead date, or something along those lines: maybe good news.

If the meeting was meant to be scheduled among intense negotiations: maybe bad news.

TomWaits

Feb 27, 2002
417 TO MTL said:
What should we make of this? :dunno:

Gary probably called the meeting hoping to put some pressure on the players. Sounds to me that the NHL's hope is to get players to speak out against the union but so far this hasn't really happened.

TomWaits

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
i think the NHL set the meeting in hopes that the NHLPA would come up with something or feel pressured.

since nothing new happened, i believe they are taking the next step by saying the meeting isnt needed, we will just make an announcement.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
TomWaits said:
Gary probably called the meeting hoping to put some pressure on the players. Sounds to me that the NHL's hope is to get players to speak out against the union but so far this hasn't really happened.

TomWaits

I tihnk thats probably it. They thought by this time, with a week until the meeting, that the PA would have come up with another proposal. The players may have called the league's bluff.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
At first look, this seems like good news, but if you look at the stated reason for the cancellation it's not good at all.

NEW YORK (CP) - The NHL has cancelled a board of governors meeting scheduled for next Friday in New York, citing a lack of developments in collective bargaining, The Canadian Press has learned.

So, it would seem the meeting was initially called not to cancel the season, but to discuss the status of CBA talks. And since there is nothing to report on CBA talks, there's no need to meet.

Personally, I'm getting to the point where canceling the season is starting to look better and better. Call it lockout fatigue. Also, there's going to come a time - probably sooner rather than later - where they couldn't even get in a 40-game season in if they strike a deal. If the league can't play at least half its games, then its already a tainted, phony season and I don't really see the point of that.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
It could, or it is also possible that the statement about nothing new on the CBA front is meant to be serious. There is no need for the meeting because the 6 (or is it 8) votes he needs to maintain a lockout are owners who are either questionable figures (Wirtz, Jacobs), or he has markets with little support to begin with so they are willing to risk gambling the limited fan support to try and win the CBA they want. Bettman can cancelled the season essentially on his own without even talking with all of the owners if he really wanted to, obviously nobody in their right mind would do so though.

Until we see any definite proof of any actual negotiations I would suggest to everybody that they "give up hope" and fully expect for the season to be cancelled later this month. Obviously I would hope a deal could be worked out, but the odds of that happening are far less than the lockout continuing and it will be slightly easier to take than getting worked up in the now supposed reports, that have been denied by both sides, of last minute deals that are "too good to pass up".

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
Carl, you brought a very good point.
Like they said, Bettman doesnt need any owner's agreement to cancel the season, a meeting is not necessary.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
hockeytown9321 said:
I tihnk thats probably it. They thought by this time, with a week until the meeting, that the PA would have come up with another proposal. The players may have called the league's bluff.

is it really a bluff from the league?

I mean, they have stated all along they will cancel the season by the 14th. What kind of bluff can be called from that?

They arent even bothering to have a meeting anymore. They are just going to cancel the season. Its exactly what the owners want, if thats the players calling the bluff, then when do they exactly call them on it?

Lanny MacDonald*

The NHL doesn't need a meeting to cancel the season. They would need a meeting to ratify a new CBA, but not to cancel the season. Bettman can call a press conference and say he is cancelling the season. I suspect this will come soon enough, probably before the 15th. The NHL has gone well past the point of having a meaningful season. Pull the plug, its done.

hockeyengineer

Jun 10, 2004
I agree w/most of these replies.
Goodbye season. Oh well, no $ on season tix means that plasma is going to look good.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
The Iconoclast said:
The NHL doesn't need a meeting to cancel the season. They would need a meeting to ratify a new CBA, but not to cancel the season. Bettman can call a press conference and say he is cancelling the season. I suspect this will come soon enough, probably before the 15th. The NHL has gone well past the point of having a meaningful season. Pull the plug, its done.

I think the only reason for not having already cancelled the season is that once the season is cancelled the NHLPA will have new fuel to not want anything to do with the NHL until the next season would have come up. If Gary shuts down the entire season the players are going to be less likely to concede to a salary cap, but if Gary can drag the "still a chance of a season" foot as long as he can, he will because there is a greater possibility that the PA would cave and give in to a cap, but then by the time a CBA was agreed on the season would be long gone.

Personally I feel that any new CBA will take close to a month to agree on, which puts the NHL well into February when a season woudl start which is far too late to being a season.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
hockeyengineer said:
I agree w/most of these replies.
Goodbye season. Oh well, no $ on season tix means that plasma is going to look good.

stay away from plasma TVs. they die with in 2 years, and the cost to repair them is as much as a new one. The "plasma" wears out, they have a 2 year lifespan.

get an LCD.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
X8oD said:
stay away from plasma TVs. they die with in 2 years, and the cost to repair them is as much as a new one. The "plasma" wears out, they have a 2 year lifespan.

get an LCD.

Yeah, plasmas are like the projection TVs of the flat panel world. Really not worth the money.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
gerbilanium said:
Cancel The Season Already!!!

Absolutely agree . . . . Mario is itching to Mentor Malkin and Crosby and the sooner the season is cancelled, the closer we are to that new CBA next year and draft soon after.

hockeyengineer

Jun 10, 2004
X8oD said:

get an LCD.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
This is terrible news. I was hoping for some finality - one way or the other. This whole wishy-washy "we won't cancel the season until we cancel the season" nonsense is getting really old, really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad