Gotta pick one ... Canes next Captain

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh you shouldn't bbc the captain. Questionable choices get made that route.

172e21152a8f10a142fa309eecba0c7f--captain-jack-harkness-john-barrowman.jpg

(That's Barrowman, he plays the nazi in the show opening piece of the inferior remake version of the Producers. #canesontopic)

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I don't see why these choices are a big deal. Faulk and Staal are vets (who have been on the team). This is just symbolic. You don't need a C on your chest to be a leader, but the fact that we went with no captains last year and co-captains now just confirms what we already know; we probably don't have many outspoken leaders on this team.

I'm sure hainsey was the biggest leader in the room the last few years, Williams seems poised to take on that role now... They weren't/aren't "core" members of our franchise so puting that C on the Jersey isn't per usual.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In the grand scheme of this season and this team the co-captains thing doesn't matter at all. Not even a little bit I don't think.

I think it's a silly cop-out, but one that will have zero tangible effect on the outcome of the season. What will be annoying as all hell is the 1st time the team has a losing streak someone is going to blame a lack of a single captain and proper hockey leadershipping and I'm going to throw a chair.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
im not upset about it i am just MAD because they kept us waiting so long and teasing us then don't even put skinner as one. its a weird but understandable decision so i am not upset. just atleast not tease us for so long

Reactions: Breakdowns

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Our beginning-of-season problems have nothing to do with starting the season later than everyone else. Those problems stem from having to go on a west coast road trip every year due to the State Fair. What good are these captains if they can't get the State Fair rescheduled to occur before hockey season starts? :shakehead

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
In Winston Salem this past weekend they had the Dixie Classic Fair and a Wake Forest football game across the street, sharing the parking lot at Lawrence Joel Coliseum (and parking everywhere else cars could fit)...what is the REAL problem with the State Fair that they can't also play hockey?

Reactions: Breakdowns

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
At night time, particularly Th, Fr, Sat (and maybe other nights), it is absolutely nuts. I've only been to the NC State fair twice in my life, but 1 of those was a friday or saturday night. There was wall to wall people to the point you couldn't even move, we got stuck in traffic just trying to park, and we had to park so far away we had to take a shuttle to the fair. I can't see any way they could handle a game and fair. My kids have gone on a Thursday and said it was just as bad. Maybe other nights are better, but still would seem like it would be a nightmare trying to pull that off, even if the Canes attendance isn't that high right now.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
At night time, particularly Th, Fr, Sat (and maybe other nights), it is absolutely nuts. I've only been to the NC State fair twice in my life, but 1 of those was a friday or saturday night. There was wall to wall people to the point you couldn't even move, we got stuck in traffic just trying to park, and we had to park so far away we had to take a shuttle to the fair. I can't see any way they could handle a game and fair. My kids have gone on a Thursday and said it was just as bad. Maybe other nights are better, but still would seem like it would be a nightmare trying to pull that off, even if the Canes attendance isn't that high right now.
Fair enough, I haven't actually been to the State Fair before (even when I was going to NC State), so I didn't realize it was quite so bonkers. I guess around here, in this market, Fair > hockey so if anyone moves dates, it's the Canes not the fair. Guarantee if it were football vs fair, they'd probably move the fair dates lol

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
the state fair is nuts and it has paralyzed that part of Raleigh in mid-October for decades. when I was delivering for Gumby's we wouldn't take orders anywhere near that area during the fair because it would be an hour and a half for someone to get out there and back. and this was the cash-desperate maniac manager who would do anything to get one more order in.

weasel66

Son of a ****** Must
Feb 8, 2009
They actually played games during the state fair in one of the early years. I believe it was 2001-2002 season it was a total clusterF

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
In Winston Salem this past weekend they had the Dixie Classic Fair and a Wake Forest football game across the street, sharing the parking lot at Lawrence Joel Coliseum (and parking everywhere else cars could fit)...what is the REAL problem with the State Fair that they can't also play hockey?

They did that in Winston and it was a traffic nightmare from all I've read, especially leaving after the game.

I never dealt with the traffic for a Canes-State Fair pairing. I made the mistake once of trying to go to the State Fair on a Saturday when State was playing at home the same day. I think it was back in 1999, and I think that was the last time they tried that with NC State on a Saturday. Absolute nightmare.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
There is an easy solution here.... just get someone to build a big theme park somewhere off 540 in the flyover part of the area, and that way, nobody gives 2 craps when the State Fair comes

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This is why we need Chuck Greenberg.

No, he'll make the situation worse. I heard he has plans to convert all the seats in the club level to a lazy river. Once he has that finished, then we'll get State Fair parking/traffic issues all year long as people come to the Canes games for the rides.

We'll even have the farm animals on the ice with Mr. Unsustaina-Bull.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No, he'll make the situation worse. I heard he has plans to convert all the seats in the club level to a lazy river. Once he has that finished, then we'll get State Fair parking/traffic issues all year long as people come to the Canes games for the rides.

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

But seriously, I would buy season tickets (about to have our first child soon, so no STH for me this year) from here to the end of time if I could chill in a heated lazy river at the arena

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

The man must be an idiot. Everyone knows the drunken float thing is for summer only.

beer-float-991x520.jpg

During the hockey season all such antics must get toned down.

1212620007.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad