Gotta pick one ... Canes next Captain

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
If anyone is going to split captains, it would be the Canes, but let's go on the assumption that they're not going to do something stupid and just name one guy as captain. We all agree on a handful of possibilities but there's no clearcut guy. But now it's time to plant your flag. One person, one vote. Who's it going to be?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
IMO everything seems to be lining up for Williams to be the interim C. With Slavin/Aho as strong candidates in a couple years.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Williams. Just listening to Peters and other players talk about him, seems like the easy choice. Plus, after his contract expires, it paves the way for one of the young guys.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
I voted against Williams only because he's been away from the locker room for so long. He doesn't have ties to any of the current players. Sure, I think his clutch play and veteran presence make an assistant captain a no-brainer. However, Skinner is the perfect combination of age and performance level. I think he thrives under the pressure and it could help with some streakiness.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I think it should be Skinner. He's grown up so much from his first few seasons, and has been the unofficial face of the franchise the last couple years. I think he's earned it.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
J Williams all the way. He's the only one currently on the team, other than Cam, to have won a cup with the Hurricanes. That's a big deal. I would imagine the way those kids hunger for a cup, the man is almost legendary.

Reactions: sheriff bart

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Williams makes too much sense as a placeholder until Slavin or Aho come into their own.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I guess I'm not clear. Is the question who we think will be the next Canes captain? Or who we'd like to see be named captain?

Reactions: Lempo

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I just don't see it with Skinner, in terms of captain material. He's still like a goofy kid, almost introverted at times when interviewed.

I've seen you and a couple others with this opinion on here, and I don't get it. Skinners almost introverted at times? Ok, so what? I don't think Slavin is much different. In fact, most proponents of Slavin being captain basically state the same thing, saying he'll lead by example on the ice without saying much. I'd say Skinner did just that last season, being the clear leader on offence. So why is basically the same trait a positive for Slavin but a negative for Skinner?

I really like the fact that Skinner has some fire, that you can see he hates to lose. While there's definitely a line to walk, I think that passion is just what this team could use. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, and I don't want to seem like I'm calling you out specifically. There just seems to be some inconsistencies with the arguments against Skinner.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Skinner, I think. He has grown a lot, and took the team on his back last year. Last year, he was the Captain, C on his jersey or not. He's changed from getting frustrated and taking bad stick penalties to getting angry and scoring goals, and that's what I want to see in the rest of the team. He's still a pretty cheery guy, and that's good, but how many games were there last season where we were nowhere, and Skinner got off the bench and just started running over everyone on the ice, sparking the team and scoring goals? Shift to shift, who was it making sure that he gave it his all, shaming every colleague who didn't? It wasn't Staal, it wasn't Faulk, it wasn't even Slavin. Shift after shift, it was Jeff Skinner. He's been the face of the franchise, and he's old enough to relate to the vets like Williams while still being young enough to be a young guy, and a leader for the young guys. Over the last several years, you see the interviews with rookies, and they talk about how Jeff Skinner is the guy they look to as a peer mentor in the locker room. They've looked at guys like Hainsey as a dad figure, almost a coach. Jeff Skinner is the guy they came in and saw as the guy who was like them but who could teach them.

I've been waffling a bit with Williams coming back, but last season I was on the Skinner train, and watching again in preseason I still am. Williams will be the consigliere- Jeff Skinner looks up to him, and is very open about wanting to learn from him, but Williams doesn't have the relationships in the room that Skinner does. At this point, I think he's best suited to being the guy who makes our captain a better captain, not the leader himself.

There are other fine candidates who I would in no way object to. But the way Skinner has responded when asked gives me a lot of faith too- when asked, he's said that the captaincy means that the team is counting on you, and that he wants to be counted on.

He's ready for it. A few years ago would have been a mistake, but he's ready for that leadership role, and I think we should give it to him.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd love to see it be Skinner for all the reasons you mention cptjeff. It might also tie him to this franchise a bit more considering that he hasn't had much team success here. I just don't think he's a realistic option (because I don't think they'll choose him), so I went with Williams.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Two years ago I'd laugh at you if you'd say Skinner was being considered as our captain. But man the way he played & handled last year completely turned my view of him as a kid into a leadership like player. I'm still not 100% certain he's captain material, he hasn't even played in a playoff game before, but I wouldn't be upset if he becomes our captain, I think he's up for the challenge.

My vote still goes to J Willy for the time being. He's ready to be a leader now whether he knows the locker room or not, he's showing he's a leader now, and will certainly gain trust with the team with his strong work ethic on the ice. The guy knows how to playoff, playoffless guys like Skinner, Faulk, Slavin, etc could certainly learn from a leader like Williams.

Reactions: Lempo

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I guess I'm not clear. Is the question who we think will be the next Canes captain? Or who we'd like to see be named captain?

Yeah, I meant it as a prediction. We've debated the merits of our own picks for a while, and with the announcement coming shortly I'd imagine, I thought it would be good to hold us all accountable.

I personally wouldn't mind Williams, because he'd be a popular choice, easy to sell to everyone. But if we're announcing our presence to the league as an up-and-coming fast, young, dynamic team, I think Skinner should be the guy to do that.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Yeah, I meant it as a prediction. We've debated the merits of our own picks for a while, and with the announcement coming shortly I'd imagine, I thought it would be good to hold us all accountable.

I personally wouldn't mind Williams, because he'd be a popular choice, easy to sell to everyone. But if we're announcing our presence to the league as an up-and-coming fast, young, dynamic team, I think Skinner should be the guy to do that.

Gotcha, thanks. I agree with everything you said in the second paragraph, and it's a tough one between those two. Before camp I would have said Williams as a transitional captain, but there seems to be some smoke coming from the team that Skinner is being strongly considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad