Proposal: Gostisbehere to Montreal

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Yeah i think it is what we can give. We have too many already and Poehling is ready, so there is another forward, although he is a center. Suzuki and Caufield in one year or two will play on the top 6 so there is that.
Too many wingers?
C is Domi, Danault, Kotkaniemi and Thompson? Pretty set there.
Lw is Drouin (traded) Tatar, Weal and ?
Rw is Gallagher, Byron, Lehkkonen (traded) and Armia?

Let Weise, Peca and Hudon walk or buried. Pretty sure most Habs fans hope same.
6 wingers. Of course you might think Caufield or Suzuki is top 6 material right away but its still light on proven Nhlers.

I believe they need to try again with Drouin to have 1 winger getting at least 60 pts.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Too many wingers?
C is Domi, Danault, Kotkaniemi and Thompson? Pretty set there.
Lw is Drouin (traded) Tatar, Weal and ?
Rw is Gallagher, Byron, Lehkkonen (traded) and Armia?

Let Weise, Peca and Hudon walk or buried. Pretty sure most Habs fans hope same.
6 wingers. Of course you might think Caufield or Suzuki is top 6 material right away but its still light on proven Nhlers.

I believe they need to try again with Drouin to have 1 winger getting at least 60 pts.

Byron and Lehkonen are LW. And you forgot Shaw, who is a pretty good middle 6 RW.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Well if what they need is center or RW, Habs are not a good trade partners then.
Thats the conclusion we come up to in most threads but yet they come back and ask for Ghost again. Since Gallagher is off-limits on rw, cant find a trade both fanbases would like.

Flyers do not need Ghost to finish top 5 in scoring with Provorov and Sanheim playing on same side. Pretty much why he is not offered in trade threads.

Reactions: Benstheman

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I already know that, don't worry. Just playing the game here. That being said, there are rumors about it and it's fun to gauge the value of what could go back in the trade, based on needs and all. Isn't it what this HFB's section is all about??

It is. I just think you're going to find that this topic doesnt lead to any realistic or beneficial conversation. Most flyers fans will tell you they dont want to move him and itll take an extreme overpay. Most MTL fans will call him a liability defensively. Intelligent flyers fans will show and tell you (not you specifically, just in general), how that isnt the case.

The reality of the situation is we are pretty set in our top 6 now, and have one spot open in the top 9 for what should be Frost or Farabee. Moving a top 4 D for a collection if lesser parts doesnt make sense, and we have plenty of picks/prospects. Itll be extremely tough to find an agreeable deal.

I wouldn't want to move him either but it seems like mgmt doesn't have the same faith that I would. For whatever reason he seems like the odd man out.

I personally wouldn't trade him. Great contract, high upside... I guess the same could be said for Drouin though. He's got tons of potential too and a good contract for a couple of years.

I feel like Drouin and Ghost are definitely in the same boat with their respective teams. I dont think management has soured on either to the extent we see here, but definitely not in the same light they were seen two hear ago either. In reality, their values are probably pretty close, and ultimately I think if/when each player gets traded, both teams will regret it as soon as the season they're traded.

Reactions: Benstheman

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Thats the conclusion we come up to in most threads but yet they come back and ask for Ghost again. Since Gallagher is off-limits on rw, cant find a trade both fanbases would like.

Flyers do not need Ghost to finish top 5 in scoring with Provorov and Sanheim playing on same side. Pretty much why he is not offered in trade threads.

TBF, Flyers could put Giroux back in the middle and bring on a LW (a la Tatar).

Tatar + Byron or Shaw + 2020 2nd is something that makes sense.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
TBF, Flyers could put Giroux back in the middle and bring on a LW (a la Tatar).

Tatar + Byron or Shaw + 2020 2nd is something that makes sense.

Giroux is so much better when the puck is on his stick as opposed to chasing it. That happen . Lot more when hes on LW than C.

In a pinch, someone gets hurt, sure he can play C. But he loses so much effectiveness when put back there that it's hardly worth it. His splits (admittedly, not a whole lot of game time) between c and LW were damning.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
Agreed on all points. Where do I sign?

Flyer faithful will come in here whining about not needing Drouin - and they're right. But Drouin is an upgrade over JVR and Lindblom.

Ghost is expendable with current D corps and Drouin makes Flyers Top 9 LETHAL...

Giroux - Coots - Konecny
Drouin - Hayes/Patrick - Voracek
JVR - Patrick/Hayes - Lindblom

That's a pretty damn good Top 9 and theres depth also with Frost/Farabee waiting to join the squad.

Deal works for both parties
First and foremost drouin is not an upgrade on jvr at all, and lindblom was a rookie last year and did very well I may add he could easily become a better player than drouin this year (not saying he’s going to) but then where does drouin sit our 4th line? I don’t see us acquiring drouin he really doesn’t do a lot for us

Reactions: Dooble08

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I told you in the post you just replied to. Gost is not going to get a top paring RHD. I did acknowledge the point of the Flyers not liking how the D looks if they subtract Gost for a forward. Did you miss this or ignore it? Change your attitude and talk vs yell. It's a conversation and I didn't attack you. I stated my opinions respectfully

Karlsson vs Gost in terms of offensive ability. Well, I guess I can compare Drouin vs Panarin or P Kane :laugh:

I'm not acting like Drouin is a complete forward with no holes. You should not act like Gost is a complete D man with no holes as well. I'm not trying to force the deal either, just evaluating trade value between these two
Umm, no. Karlsson and Ghost are both top 5 offensive talents on the blue line, sure Karlsson is far better. Panarin and Drouin aren't in the same stratosphere

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
No from montreal. Mete is much better in his own zone than ghost. Yeah ghost put pts, but drouin too
Not only is he NOT much better, he's not better period in his own zone.

This whole "Ghost is bad defensively" myth needs to die.. the only thing it's good for now is sorting through the posters that actually watch vs just read.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Maybe Philadelphia keeps their defenseman because they feel they need him, that’s understandable.

But value wise,

Drouin+Mete > Gostisbehere

The OP made a very fair offer.
How? Ghost is clearly the best player in this trade and on the best contract, one of the better contracts in the NHL. 2+4 is not greater than 8.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I don't think adding an offence-only blue liner to the first pair at the expense of Drouin and Mete helps Montreal at all.

They are definitely a worse team then they are today if they make that trade. They shouldn't even be considering the notion of trading Victor Mete.
Watch the guy play, please.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Agreed on all points. Where do I sign?

Flyer faithful will come in here whining about not needing Drouin - and they're right. But Drouin is an upgrade over JVR and Lindblom.

Ghost is expendable with current D corps and Drouin makes Flyers Top 9 LETHAL...

Giroux - Coots - Konecny
Drouin - Hayes/Patrick - Voracek
JVR - Patrick/Hayes - Lindblom

That's a pretty damn good Top 9 and theres depth also with Frost/Farabee waiting to join the squad.

Deal works for both parties
JVR is better than Drouin.

Ghost is not expendable. Trade him, and Hagg or Morin are playing every game. That drop is WAY bigger than the LW drop.

Just let Frost or Farabee play in that last top 9 spot. Then in another year, the other will be ready and we can trade JVR to re-stock the depth.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
You missed the point. I rather try to sign Gardiner to a solid AAV for 3 years vs overpay for Gost in a trade. If both where UFA's... of course I pick Gost. The issue here is I'm not giving pry away value for Gost
Someone is going to pay Gardiner 6Mx5. "Over paying" with Drouin and Mete to get a much better defenseman locked up at 4.5M is more than worth it in these cap Trends

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad