LeBrun: Gostisbehere available for trade

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
On no planet is Ghost a negative value trade asset.
Cap casualty is probably a better term than negative asset. In a flat cap world if the Flyers want to shed his salary completely to dip into the UFA market he would have negative value given recent performance and $/term but if they’re looking to trade for a roster player that is a similar reclamation project with a similar contract at a position of need that would work. Neal for Lucic kind of trade but nowhere near as bad as those guys.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Cap casualty is probably a better term than negative asset. In a flat cap world if the Flyers want to shed his salary completely to dip into the UFA market he would have negative value given recent performance and $/term but if they’re looking to trade for a roster player that is a similar reclamation project with a similar contract at a position of need that would work. Neal for Lucic kind of trade but nowhere near as bad as those guys.

I'm not really sure if I'd call him a cap casualty either. The Flyers don't really need the cap space (at least currently). But moving him is more for the need (or lack there of) for a player like him in AV's system and for the fact that we can't protect him during the expansion draft.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Even at a neutral value he is not where close to DeBrusk.

Explain this one. Look, I like DeBrusk, but he is a forward with a career high 43 points. Ghost has surpassed that TWICE as a defenseman. Ghost is on an affordable contract with term; DeBrusk is a RFA. DeBrusk is a nice player (one I personally like more than I should) but he's not a top line talent. He's at best a 2nd liner--and would be an excellent 3rd liner. He's not an offensive giant, he's not a two-way force, he's not a killer power forward--he's just a solid, good player who can modestly contribute.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Lol...well the person I responded to said he was a RHD. Sorry if I didn't verify but him being a lefty is even worse.

Provy, Sanheim, Hagg, Zamula, York....all lefties.

Last think the Flyers need is a LH Dman.

Then why not trade Sanheim+ for Laine!!?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Explain this one. Look, I like DeBrusk, but he is a forward with a career high 43 points. Ghost has surpassed that TWICE as a defenseman. Ghost is on an affordable contract with term; DeBrusk is a RFA. DeBrusk is a nice player (one I personally like more than I should) but he's not a top line talent. He's at best a 2nd liner--and would be an excellent 3rd liner. He's not an offensive giant, he's not a two-way force, he's not a killer power forward--he's just a solid, good player who can modestly contribute.

His career high is deceptive. He has only play 3 seasons and not a full one yet. He had 27 goals two seasons ago and then paced for over 20 this year. His value depends on his next contract. He is very similar to Coleman who netted a first and very good prospect. Even if he doesn't have Colemons two way play he has higher offensive upside. Like I said it depends on his next contract.

Also Ghost did that three years ago. His numbers have dropped off so his value is an all time low. And a cap hit at 4.5 is hard to swallow with the flat cap. You won't get value for him. His best position is to stay with the flyers.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

He's 4 years younger and has paced for 50+ points in 2 out of his 3 years in the NHL. His contract will be someone between Ghost and Konecny, so fairly reasonable. Being 23, he could evolve into top line talent. I think he already is a 2nd line player, especially on the Flyers. Imagine a line of Konecny, Hayes, and DeBrusk for the Flyers. It would be damn near the best 2nd line in the NHL. His possession numbers are very good (even compared to teammates on the Bruins, who are a possession team). Plus he has the goal scoring ability which the Flyers desperately need.

I love Ghost and the Flyers, but we'd easily need to add to him in order to get DeBrusk. I'd make the trade.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well...there is no need.

Konecny has almost identical stats to Laine the last 2 years combined and will make 3-4 million less than Laine once Laine signs his next deal.

Voracek has b2b 66 point or on pace seasons...and before that an 85 point one

Then we have dirt cheap Farabee who has 2 years left on his ELC and will keep getting better.

So it makes no sense at all to make the defense worse, to add another RWer when our RW is set up nicely. Even if Laine's upside is higher than TK's. And yes, I have seen the rumors out there...likely more in detail than most have seen...and I would not pay near what the Jets are asking for.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
howabout..

Laine for Farabee+Patrick+1st
and
Gaudreau+Lucic for Ghost+Voracek

expansion protect: Laine, Gaudreau, Giroux, Couturier, Hayes, Konecny, Laughton, Provorov, Sanheim, Meyers, Hart

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Both coming off down years, obviously LA has time to see if Kupari bounces back but you're loaded with C prospects and verrrrrrrrrrr..........rrrrrry lean on NHL LD.

I assume we are talking Steve Kupari here, our Hot-Dog salesmen in section 319.
Yes, he had a low sales year but the season was shortened by COVID and i am convinced he will come back with a stronger year.
I guess there is a trade to be made if Philly throws in a little sweetener.

Just to clarify, we are not talking Rasmus Kupari. This would be outrageous and the thread would be closed by the Mods for trolling.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
howabout..

Laine for Farabee+Patrick+1st
and
Gaudreau+Lucic for Ghost+Voracek

expansion protect: Laine, Gaudreau, Giroux, Couturier, Hayes, Konecny, Laughton, Provorov, Sanheim, Meyers, Hart
Not near enough for Laine...they will want at least 1 impact guy coming back.

As for the Flames one....Lucic is just not an option I want.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Those are two extremely different things.
That's my feeling. Market moved a lot, Ghost has more value to the Flyers than another team, which isn't saying a lot. Only way to move him is in a hockey deal for a guy underperforming to his contract like Tyler Johnson.
I do think Ghost is at the very least our fourth best Dman and with proper usage he'd be easily worth his contract.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Threads like this kill me. Ghost genuinely isn't a negative asset. Any team with cap space should be feening to add him (Detroit or Buffalo, for example)

Like another member mentioned (Maybe Tripod - I can't remember): Who takes Ghost is going to use him properly and make Philly look absolutely stupid. This negative asset stuff is nonsense.

There’s a thread from years back where multiple people were calling Giroux negative value in a trade. It’s better to just ignore most posts from people who don’t watch on a regular basis.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Even at a neutral value he is not where close to DeBrusk. the flyers need to keep him and play him.
Agree with this, Ghost is a quality player with an undeserved rep due to coaches decisions. You won't get what he's worth in a trade. Certainly not DeBrusk. Only positive to trading him is to avoid losing him for nothing being exposed to expansion

Reactions: Darren McCord

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Because Laine is a one year rental that'll demand 9+m on next contract and be worth 7.5M while Sanheim is a young stud with top pairing projection that is making 3.25M.

I wouldn't trade Sanheim straight up for Laine unless it's a sign and trade long term at 8M tops for Laine.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Not near enough for Laine...they will want at least 1 impact guy coming back.

As for the Flames one....Lucic is just not an option I want.
It's far too much for Laine with him expecting to demand 9M+ on his next contract. He's far too one dimensional to pay that kind of money.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Laine is a cap killer that has to score 40 goals in order to be worth the assets given up and the cap number given up. And for sure if Jets fan I wouldn't move unless a Sanheim, York, or Myers was in the deal. But as Flyers fan I'll would rather just pass.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad