OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
So top 6 teams in each conference make it into the playoffs, top 2 seeds in each get a bye.

On Wednesday and Thursday this week they are having the 1 game knockout round with seeds 3 and 4 hosting seeds 5 and 6.

The winners of those will advance to play a 2 leg series against seeds 1 and 2 and they reseed as well.

So Red Bulls will either play Philly(6th seed) if they beat nycfc(3rd seed) or if nycfc wins then Red Bulls will play the winner of Columbus (5th seed) vs DC(4th seed).

Conference finals is also a 2 leg series and then MLS Cup Final is 1 game.

The lower seed would be home in Game 1 of the two home series?

Who would you rather play, Philly, DC or Cbj?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The lower seed would be home in Game 1 of the two home series?

Who would you rather play, Philly, DC or Cbj?

Correct, Red Bulls host the second leg on Nov 11th. I don't care who we play honestly. I just want to score some damn road goals on Nov 4th in the first leg.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
From a rivalry perspective, Who is more hated, Philly or DC?

DC definitely, faced them a bunch of time the playoffs. They are the oldest and longest rival. Columbus beat us in the MLS Cup Final in 08 and conference finals in 2015 so I personally hate them more than Philly. Red Bulls and Philly have met in the US open cup tournament a few times and knocked each other out a few times but have never met in the MLS playoffs.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Aggregate score series are so stupid and unsatisfying. Just make it Best of Three and be done with it.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Just for fun - posting my MLS playoff prediction (yes, I am taking us to win, duh.)

Eastern Conference

Knockouts

DC over Columbus (3-2)
Philly over NYCFC (2-1 ET)

Conference Semifinal (over two legs)

NYRB over Philly (4-2)
DC over Atlanta (3-3 away goals)

Conference Final (over two legs)

NYRB over DC (5-4 penalty shootout)

Western Conference

Knockouts

FC Dallas over Portland (2-1 ET)
LAFC over RSL (3-0)

Conference Semifinal (over two legs)

SKC over FC Dallas (3-1)
Seattle over LAFC (4-3)

Conference Final (over two legs)

Seattle over SKC (2-1)

Final

NYRB over Seattle (3-1)

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Aggregate score series are so stupid and unsatisfying. Just make it Best of Three and be done with it.

Way back when they use to do best of three, they won't ever bring that back now because the season is long enough as it is and has way more teams now.

Personally I would rather see 1 game knockouts the whole way. It gives teams a reason to be good in the regular season to guarantee home games and feels like the higher seed actually has an advantage.

Reactions: NJDevs26

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I am hoping for Philly just for travel purposes. Sucks the game is on a Sunday. Wish it was a Saturday then it would make travel to DC and Columbus so much easier.

Anyways.... What a night last night. My goodness..... Watching our game live in the stadium while keeping an eye on the Toronto/Atlanta score.... so stressful and amazing.

Best record in MLS history, most home wins in MLS history, heading into the playoffs in good form... having a great away record... Man I am feeling good.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I'm definitely going to the game on Sunday if it's in DC or Philly. Already have plans to be in Maryland on Saturday into Sunday. If it's DC, I'm already there. If it's Philly, it's on the way home.

Reactions: njdevil26

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm definitely going to the game on Sunday if it's in DC or Philly. Already have plans to be in Maryland on Saturday into Sunday. If it's DC, I'm already there. If it's Philly, it's on the way home.

The supporter groups are already putting bus plans together... It's going to be tough to get buses because it's the NYC Marathon weekend. I think they can get four as it stands now. A lot of people will travel on their own to DC or Philly.

Unfortunately no buses to Columbus.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Wonderful season - truly snuck up on all of us. I had them as a top 3 team in the East, but best season in MLs history? Hell no. So proud of this team and happy for Armas.

We most likely get a red-hot DC team as our reward. Let's get the cup
The...same United team that has played like, the entire second half of the season at home in a sport where it is generally exceptionally hard for a road team to win?

I’d be more inclined to be worried about the fact that the franchise in general has a horrifying habit of losing postseason games that they’re supposed to win in excruciating, heartbreaking fashion.

I was there in 2012. Might have been the worse sporting experience of my short life if the Travel in the nor’easter is included.

Reactions: sabremike

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Wow, NYRB ended up having the best record in MLS history. No chance in hell for them to do anything other than come up laughably short. It’s the MetroStars way.

Obviously can't fault you for thinking that, but this is by far the best tema that they have ever had. They have the strongest back line in the league, top 3 GK, top 3 CM trio, and top 3 striker in the league. All that along with "home field advantage" and there is no excuse.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Obviously can't fault you for thinking that, but this is by far the best tema that they have ever had. They have the strongest back line in the league, top 3 GK, top 3 CM trio, and top 3 striker in the league. All that along with "home field advantage" and there is no excuse.
If any team can screw this up it’s them, along with the fact that soccer is a weird and fluky sport.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
that moment you realize red bull would have won their third league title if mls was like every other major soccer league on earth

Yeah well in basically ever other country soccer is THE national sport or no worse than #2-3 and you can get away with having only a handful of teams in the hunt and everyone else be an also-ran the second half of the season. Can't really do that here when there's too many other sports above soccer on the totem pole. Plus there's no relegation here either to keep the mediocre-poor teams motivated.

I do agree with one of Satans' prior posts that having a two-game series a la the Champions League is stupid and more or less eliminates the home field advantage.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
15,153 fans at yankee stadium last night.

i get that it was halloween and the game was scheduled like four days ago, but for a fan base that spends half their energy talking shit about red bull, that’s hilarious.

some templado clown will tell you that last night would have sold out if they had an sss tho :eyeroll:

Reactions: RangerDoggo

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
15,153 fans at yankee stadium last night.

i get that it was halloween and the game was scheduled like four days ago, but for a fan base that spends half their energy talking **** about red bull, that’s hilarious.

City attendance and season ticket holder numbers have been dwindling consistently since they opened up shop. Yankee Stadium is HORRIBLE for soccer. I doubt the Red Bulls would have had a big crowd if we hosted a knockout game on Halloween though.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I doubt the Red Bulls would have had a big crowd if we hosted a knockout game on Halloween though.

i agree, and the reality of that reflects poorly on city fans who swear that there’s something inherently wrong with the red bulls that leads to mediocre attendance.

mls is still less popular than the nhl in this market but nycfc fans want to talk about how “no one cares about red bull” which is obvious fallacy when they’re not immune to a shitty playoff draw, either.

also i’m fairly confident that red bull would have drawn as many fans as nycfc did last night if they had a game at rba last night, too.

Reactions: NJDevils7

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
i agree, and the reality of that reflects poorly on city fans who swear that there’s something inherently wrong with the red bulls that leads to mediocre attendance.

mls is still less popular than the nhl in this market but nycfc fans want to talk about how “no one cares about red bull” which is obvious fallacy when they’re not immune to a ****ty playoff draw, either.

also i’m fairly confident that red bull would have drawn as many fans as nycfc did last night if they had a game at rba last night, too.

Interesting thing is that City fans already know all of this. Their social media presence in terms of trash talk about bothering us Red Bull fans is practically non existent. The team played poorly down the stretch, they still don't have a stadium, Yankee Stadium is half empty, and they have a serious SERIOUS problem with alt right, neo nazi, proud boy members infiltrating their supporter sections. They have issues over there.

Reactions: New Jersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad