Google Stadia

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Man that channel is hard to watch, but yeah Stadia is clearly not doing well at all.

If they don't get a lot of subscribers before the next consoles launch it's possible this won't even be around much longer.

Reactions: missingmika

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Man that channel is hard to watch, but yeah Stadia is clearly not doing well at all.

If they don't get a lot of subscribers before the next consoles launch it's possible this won't even be around much longer.

It is. If you can wade through the overwhelming amount of annoying banter, there is usually good information buried within each video. Autumn usually does a much better job when she is the host.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I say this half jokingly but I've always had the suspicion that a lot of this performance talk from gamers is akin to pretentious New York art snob-types bs'ing about fine art. Maybe I'm just a dullard for these things since I primarily play single player games on outdated hardware (finally built a new PC last year though to catch up a bit) but I'll never not be at least a little skeptical and suspicious.

On a certain level, yes, there is definitely a snobbish attitude when it comes to gaming performance, particularly from the hardcore PC crowd.

However, on a base level, performance metrics such as input latency, minimum acceptable level of frame rate and/or frame time, FOV, and server netcode and tickrates can be big issues that affect different people in different ways, and can vary depending on type of games played or even what level of performance you have been used to in the past.

In Stadia's case, input latency has been reportedly bad enough to warrant legitimate issues, particularly in fast paced action games such as multiplayer shooters.

Also, Stadia's advertised level of performance is....well, apparently a lie in most cases.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Still don’t know how anyone is shocked by this. I’m not a tech savvy guy by any means but you’d think that intuitively the concept of streaming allllllllll the data and I/O involved in AAA gaming would be really hard to do and the tech simply isn’t there yet.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Still don’t know how anyone is shocked by this. I’m not a tech savvy guy by any means but you’d think that intuitively the concept of streaming allllllllll the data and I/O involved in AAA gaming would be really hard to do and the tech simply isn’t there yet.

I don't think it's shocking that Stadia's numbers are low (it's new stuff and the launch has been rocky), but I do find it a little shocking just HOW low it apparently is.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't think it's shocking that Stadia's numbers are low (it's new stuff and the launch has been rocky), but I do find it a little shocking just HOW low it apparently is.

Good point. Also, I'm surprised at how little Stadia has done post launch, given the giant debacle they had at their launch. One would think Google would have MORE than expected in order to help make up for the disastrous launch, not go MIA post launch.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Good point. Also, I'm surprised at how little Stadia has done post launch, given the giant debacle they had at their launch. One would think Google would have MORE than expected in order to help make up for the disastrous launch, not go MIA post launch.

Google has a long history of just dropping support for products not doing well.

Im not surprised its failing and im not surprised Google is abandoning it.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s dropped by google either, lets see how Microsoft’s Project xCloud goes.

I would think if any game streaming service takes off any time soon, it will be that one. xCloud combined with Game Pass would be tough for Google to compete with.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Anyone that wants to try streaming games, GeForce Now has fully released. There is a free version where every hour you have to quit but can log back in. This is for wait times (which currently there are none)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Anyone that wants to try streaming games, GeForce Now has fully released. There is a free version where every hour you have to quit but can log back in. This is for wait times (which currently there are none)

Was this so hard, Google?
Nvidia.com said:
YOU BOUGHT IT,
YOU OWN IT

Connect to your favorite stores and stream your library of games. You make your purchase on your personal store account, your games will always stay with you.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Can Google just put this project out of its misery already?

These dudes are a bunch of spazzes, but cool of them to point this stuff out. I feel bad for the people that shelled out a couple hundred bucks for this thing. I keep saying it, it had "too good to be true" written allllllllll over it

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Investing tons of money in the technology and then completely forgetting about the service itself (the games) seems like a very Google thing to do.

We'll see if they can keep their promise regarding titles on the service, but from what the devs have been saying, it doesn't look good...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
For the next two months, Stadia Pro is free and won't require the $129 hardware buy-in kit. That appears to mean that anyone can use the service for 2 months without paying a dime--just go to stadia.com, sign up with your Google account and download the app--though you're limited to the 9 free games unless you purchase more.

Play Stadia Pro for free, starting today

Supposedly, this is a response to a lot of people having free time at home at the moment, but it's easy to imagine that it's equally (if not more) a response to poor adoption so far.

Last edited:

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Honestly though, its been 1 year since launch.

I was basically the only person on here defending it last year.

Has anyone changed their mind on Stadia ?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Honestly though, its been 1 year since launch.

I was basically the only person on here defending it last year.

Has anyone changed their mind on Stadia ?

Considering that most here were suggesting that it would fail and, by all accounts, it has...

Perhaps the better question to ask is...

Have you changed your mind about Stadia? ;)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

I don't blame people for not knowing this because Google has explained it horribly. Stadia is not a Netflix/Gamepass Subscription service, they're a PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold service. You get free games every month but it's predominately a storefront where you actually buy the streaming titles. You don't actually need to be a subscriber to buy and stream games. Weird, I know.

I think the biggest determining factor of whether they shut down stadia or not isnt whether it actually makes money, because Amazon and Google are spending billions buying those cloud servers whether stadia existed or not. They're burning through money buying servers that are just sitting there so they may as well use them for something. What determines whether stadia gets shut down is whether they find something more profitable to put those servers to work on.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't blame people for not knowing this because Google has explained it horribly. Stadia is not a Netflix/Gamepass Subscription service, they're a PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold service. You get free games every month but it's predominately a storefront where you actually buy the streaming titles. You don't actually need to be a subscriber to buy and stream games. Weird, I know.

I think the biggest determining factor of whether they shut down stadia or not isnt whether it actually makes money, because Amazon and Google are spending billions buying those cloud servers whether stadia existed or not. They're burning through money buying servers that are just sitting there so they may as well use them for something. What determines whether stadia gets shut down is whether they find something more profitable to put those servers to work on.

Yes I understand how Stadia's storefront works. But the Stadia Pro subscription is most likely the key to their service succeeding. Having a large number of free players, who occasionally buy a game is not likely going to be very profitable, if at all. They want that $12/CDN a month.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I tried to find player/user numbers for Stadia but could only find player numbers for Destiny 2, strangely. Does anyone know how many users Stadia has now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad