Google Stadia

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It still seems like one of those things technology isn't quuiiiiite ready for just yet.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I'm wondering this too.

@18leafsfan18 Any experience with Stadia yet? You seem to be our resident Founder. :laugh:

Honestly the tech works amazing. Which is what I was hoping for when it came out.

Flawless on chromecast.

My laptop is super old so it doesn't run as great on there (Wireless card can hardly get me 25 mbps).

I have used the workaround that has been on reddit etc. because my phone isn't natively supported yet (Galaxy S8+), and it worked very well on there too.

I'm very happy with my purchase of the founder's edition, you go to the app, buy a game or claim a free game and you are playing in minutes. Switch screens very easy, play at work on break etc.

There are plenty of reviews online of games and the system (have to weave through the youtuber's that have decided to hate it without trying it). Reddit has a good amount of people who have "Changed their minds".

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The technology is more or less ready, Google's absurd pricing and the limited library are what is holding it back.

The pricing isn't all that bad. Some games are more expensive then alternative consoles/PC, but Google doesn't set those prices and I would think once it is more of a major player in the game the prices will be the same (just a guess by me).

Which games in particular did you think were absurd for pricing ?

The limited library does suck, but you have to remember this is a launch of a brand new "console" or "system".

Playstation Launched with 11 games.
N64 Launched with 2 games.
Sega Dreamcast with 17 games.
PS2 with 30
Xbox with 12

Stadia is pretty close in line with 22 games at launch

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Honestly the tech works amazing. Which is what I was hoping for when it came out.

Flawless on chromecast.

My laptop is super old so it doesn't run as great on there (Wireless card can hardly get me 25 mbps).

I have used the workaround that has been on reddit etc. because my phone isn't natively supported yet (Galaxy S8+), and it worked very well on there too.

I'm very happy with my purchase of the founder's edition, you go to the app, buy a game or claim a free game and you are playing in minutes. Switch screens very easy, play at work on break etc.

There are plenty of reviews online of games and the system (have to weave through the youtuber's that have decided to hate it without trying it). Reddit has a good amount of people who have "Changed their minds".

Good to hear.

No issues with resolution, stuttering or input lag (I read it varies depending on game)?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Good to hear.

No issues with resolution, stuttering or input lag (I read it varies depending on game)?

No, not that I remember to be honest (Except for on my crap Laptop lol).

I have a newborn at home, so I haven't been able to play a ton either, so that might be why I haven't seen anything.

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
Anyone purchased BL3? It's running mighty fine for me over a 400 Mbps ethernet connection directly into my CC. I was unable to find a single player in matchmaking last night.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Anyone purchased BL3? It's running mighty fine for me over a 400 Mbps ethernet connection directly into my CC. I was unable to find a single player in matchmaking last night.

I thought about picking up that game, but decided not to right now.

Stadia is dangerous, just so easy to spend money, purchase and your playing right away.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Couple videos showing the first game with "Stream Connect" Tom Clancys Ghost Recon Breakpoint, looks like a very cool feature.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What are peoples' thoughts on this so far? Has it been worth purchasing and does it run smoothly enough?

I'm thinking of getting it (already have a Chromecast Ultra) for when Cyberpunk comes out since my Xbox One bit the dust.

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
What are peoples' thoughts on this so far? Has it been worth purchasing and does it run smoothly enough?

I'm thinking of getting it (already have a Chromecast Ultra) for when Cyberpunk comes out since my Xbox One bit the dust.
I purchased it immediately because I don't have a console and didn't feel like forking out $500 for one. At this point, you can run it on your own Chromecast Ultra (assuming you have one) so the price boils down to the controller if you wanna play on your TV or you can play in your browser on your PC. There is a monthly subscription fee (a couple of bucks higher than the comparison) and the games are often a few bucks more expensive as well.

In terms of performance, I have a 400 Mbps connection and I have yet to experience an iota of lag. It's actually quite insane how it works: you do something on your controller, it send a signal over your home WiFi to Google's servers, the action is registered on their server, the image is updated and the image is sent to your Chromecast, with ZERO lag.

I imagine if you have a shoddy connection and you're attempting to run this over wifi, you may experience issues. But go into this with the proper setup, and you will not be disappointed. A lot of people compare about Google's promises during the sales pitch (namely 4k 60 fps which is missing from most games), but the end result is a very impressive gaming experience.

I'm definitely sold, and after Borderlands 3, Cyberpunk is my next target.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I purchased it immediately because I don't have a console and didn't feel like forking out $500 for one. At this point, you can run it on your own Chromecast Ultra (assuming you have one) so the price boils down to the controller if you wanna play on your TV or you can play in your browser on your PC. There is a monthly subscription fee (a couple of bucks higher than the comparison) and the games are often a few bucks more expensive as well.

In terms of performance, I have a 400 Mbps connection and I have yet to experience an iota of lag. It's actually quite insane how it works: you do something on your controller, it send a signal over your home WiFi to Google's servers, the action is registered on their server, the image is updated and the image is sent to your Chromecast, with ZERO lag.

I imagine if you have a shoddy connection and you're attempting to run this over wifi, you may experience issues. But go into this with the proper setup, and you will not be disappointed. A lot of people compare about Google's promises during the sales pitch (namely 4k 60 fps which is missing from most games), but the end result is a very impressive gaming experience.

I'm definitely sold, and after Borderlands 3, Cyberpunk is my next target.
Glad to see you're liking your experience. A good many people seem excited for this project to fail, but it looks to me like the future of gaming/consoles.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Depends on what your standards for "smoothly enough" are. You can definitely tell the game is being streamed. Occasional visual artifacting and an extra 4-5 frames of input delay even under the best conditions. Visual stuff isn't a huge deal for what the service is, but the delay makes me never want to touch a streamed multiplayer game again. Destiny 2, Samsho, and MK11 all feel noticeably worse and I dunno if they can really be fixed.

If you just want to play a single-player game that doesn't require much precision then I imagine it'll work fine. Only risk you run there is losing any games you bought when Google inevitably pulls the plug.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It was pretty much DOA. The idea sounds great, but even Google couldn't get the public to buy the idea of an always seamless streaming gaming service that works as well as a traditional download or physical media.

And for good reason. Essentially all of rural America has major doubts about that being possible and hell most big cities lack the infrastructure for even YouTube to always work perfectly. And then came the reviews from many indicating not surprising lag issues and the interest was killed.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Google did not think their early access thing through at all. The people who went and bought a founders edition were 100% the sort of people who already have other platforms as well. What they saw with Stadia was almost entirely worse versions of games they could play/had already played elsewhere, save for like, what, one exclusive game that wasn't any good?

Even if it had launched smoothly (which it didn't) and functioned optimally (which it doesn't) word of mouth still would've been bad. Once word of mouth is bad for a video game platform, it's DOA. The casual market sees the negative headlines and checks out immediately. The more enthusiast market already has platforms to play all these games on and won't change ecosystems without some sort of major incentive to do so, which so far does not exist.

I still think they have a window to try and steal some people during the hardware transition for consoles at the end of the year if they actually invest in exclusive development and tune up performance, but historically Google is more prone to just cut bait. Also if all the backwards compatibility stuff for the next gen consoles ends up being true then I don't think that helps Stadia's case either.

Ultimately the optimal use case for Stadia right now seems like it's... if you travel a lot and are absolutely addicted to Destiny 2 and need to be able to play it anywhere, assuming your hotel or your plane or whatever has good enough wi-fi to do it. Or maybe leading into next gen if you're somebody who just wants to play 1-2 multiplatform, single player games a year and you don't want to spend the rumoured $500 or $600 for a PS5/XSX just to be able to play the next GTA or whatever.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->