Google Stadia

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
said:
Did you read my post ?

Your response has nothing to do with it.
You responded to my post about exclusive titles with timed exclusive content. My whole discussion is about platform exclusives. You changed the subject entirely by mentioning something about timed exclusives.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
You responded to my post about exclusive titles with timed exclusive content. My whole discussion is about platform exclusives. You changed the subject entirely by mentioning something about timed exclusives.

I added to the subject suggesting that timed exclusives and multiplatform (but limited) exclusives could also sway people to try Stadia.

You decided to not respond to that whatsoever, which is fine, but why even reply then ?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I added to the subject suggesting that timed exclusives and multiplatform (but limited) exclusives could also sway people to try Stadia.

You decided to not respond to that whatsoever, which is fine, but why even reply then ?
The same could be said about you no? You added something to my comment that had nothing to do with what I said. Why not just create your own post instead of responding to mine that has nothing to do with what you mentioned?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The same could be said about you no? You added something to my comment that had nothing to do with what I said. Why not just create your own post instead of responding to mine that has nothing to do with what you mentioned?

It had something to do with your post. That's why I replied to it.

I'm not even arguing your point, just adding to it, or suggesting something to you.

Seems like you just want to argue no matter what the context.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
It had something to do with your post. That's why I replied to it.

I'm not even arguing your point, just adding to it, or suggesting something to you.

Seems like you just want to argue no matter what the context.
Where in your reply of

With Stadia I think it can be a bit different too (Timed Exclusives / PC&Stadia Exclusives).

Orc's must die 3 would be an example of a timed exclusive (comes to Stadia before other consoles), which could sway people to play on Stadia.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a good example, it's on PC and Stadia, but if you don't have the PC to run it (Would have to invest tons to play), Stadia is easily the best option.

mentions console exclusives (which is what I was talking about). You are the one who decided to argue by telling me to not even reply to your comment in the first place. If anything, all I did was the exact same thing you did. I continued the conversation by adding my question about if people were willing to forgo their favorite exclusive series for Stadia. Again, you were the one to start an "argument" by insinuating I didn't read your post and shouldn't have even replied.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Where in your reply of

With Stadia I think it can be a bit different too (Timed Exclusives / PC&Stadia Exclusives).

Orc's must die 3 would be an example of a timed exclusive (comes to Stadia before other consoles), which could sway people to play on Stadia.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a good example, it's on PC and Stadia, but if you don't have the PC to run it (Would have to invest tons to play), Stadia is easily the best option.

mentions console exclusives (which is what I was talking about). You are the one who decided to argue by telling me to not even reply to your comment in the first place. If anything, all I did was the exact same thing you did. I continued the conversation by adding my question about if people were willing to forgo their favorite exclusive series for Stadia. Again, you were the one to start an "argument" by insinuating I didn't read your post and shouldn't have even replied.

You talked about exclusives and then I talked about exclusives. I'm very confused on why that wasn't on topic.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Just off the top of my head (Because I won't put myself thought watching that again).
  1. He states that you will pay full price for older games. There is no evidence of this, actually google said games will be competitive with prices on other systems, and they doubled down on that in their Reddit AMA yesterday.
  2. He says that Stadia is 1080p, which is completely untrue.
  3. Never mentions Stadia basic, just the Pro version (and bashes it for having to pay monthly). There is a choice, not mandatory.
  4. States that you get no free games with Stadia Pro, which is also untrue.
  5. He says you need to pay for the system (Controller/chromecast), which is again not true.
1) I believe Google has stated it won't be "cheaper", and I think he is insinuating you won't be able to get those games on sale (logical, since the platform hasn't even launched yet) like you can on other platforms (his $4 example for Tomb Raider). But yes, "full price" is vaguely defined in his video so I could see where people would be expecting the $60 USD price tag with this speculation. I understand the confusion there.

2) It is not untrue. Google has stated that the 4K is only for Chromecast (and only the new Chromecast that comes with the Founder's Edition), and users for PC/Chrome browser will be restricted to 1080p until sometime in 2020.

3) Basic isn't available yet. He did reference "future models", but he's talking about launch Stadia.

4) Did he say that, or say the library isn't free (aka included in the sub) like it is for PSNow? I know you get one free game per month, and they haven't stated what those games will be yet. If he neglected to mention that as part of the subscription, then yes that's a piece of information he left out. I recall him comparing it to Xbox Live Gold, which is similar except is only functionally needed for some multiplayer games.

5) Again, this is true at launch. You can only access it with the Founder's Edition Chromecast, as they have stated the older Chromecasts don't have the proper firmware yet. This is, of course, assuming you don't already have a PC (with restrictions) or possibly a Pixel 3 or 4 phone (phone gaming is a whole other territory I guess)? For the majority of gamers (particularly console gamers, i.e. the market Stadia is meant to compete in), the only way in currently is the Founders Edition.

Stadia won't have family sharing, achievements, or 4K streaming on PC at launch | PC Gamer

It's very disappointing that someone with such a large following can have all these followers blindly listen to him when he doesn't even do basic research on his subject.

Not to mention a clear bias against Google/Stadia.

He mentions the launch title list being not too large. I can agree with this, and is basically one of the only true statement he made.

As I have said multiple times, this system isn't for everyone, but why spread untrue "facts" about it ?

I think the "bias" is that he doesn't see the use case for the Stadia for existing gamers (such as himself, a gaming YouTuber) at this time. That's a fair observation IMO, that could change as the service matures.

Last edited:

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
1) I believe Google has stated it won't be "cheaper", and I think he is insinuating you won't be able to get those games on sale (logical, since the platform hasn't even launched yet) like you can on other platforms (his $4 example for Tomb Raider). But yes, "full price" is vaguely defined in his video so I could see where people would be expecting the $60 USD price tag with this speculation. I understand the confusion there.

2) It is not untrue. Google has stated that the 4K is only for Chromecast (and only the new Chromecast that comes with the Founder's Edition), and users for PC/Chrome browser will be restricted to 1080p until sometime in 2020.

3) Basic isn't available yet. He did reference "future models", but he's talking about launch Stadia.

4) Did he say that, or say the library isn't free (aka included in the sub) like it is for PSNow? I know you get one free game per month, and they haven't stated what those games will be yet. If he neglected to mention that as part of the subscription, then yes that's a piece of information he left out. I recall him comparing it to Xbox Live Gold, which is similar except is only functionally needed for some multiplayer games.

5) Again, this is true at launch. You can only access it with the Founder's Edition Chromecast, as they have stated the older Chromecasts don't have the proper firmware yet. This is, of course, assuming you don't already have a PC (with restrictions) or possibly a Pixel 3 or 4 phone (phone gaming is a whole other territory I guess)? For the majority of gamers (particularly console gamers, i.e. the market Stadia is meant to compete in), the only way in currently is the Founders Edition.

Stadia won't have family sharing, achievements, or 4K streaming on PC at launch | PC Gamer

I think the "bias" is that he doesn't see the use case for the Stadia for existing gamers (such as himself, a gaming YouTuber) at this time. That's a fair observation IMO, that could change as the service matures.
  1. He talks about the prices of games like he knows they are all full price, which he doesn't know (and neither do any of us). All we have to go on is that it's been stated they are "competitive"
  2. He states the games are only being played at 1080 p and does not reference 4k in anyway (That I remember). He isn't talking about PC only, it was a blanket statement.
  3. & 5. If he isn't talking about Stadia Base, only Launch Stadia. He then mentions it's only 1080p. So which is it ?
  4. He purposely left out this information. He actually makes it sound like you get more from xbox live and ps+, which is untrue (Again, what I remember from it).
He is very careful to only point out half of the facts and then make it sounds like it's the entire picture.

Is he flat out lying about some of the service, No. But with holding the full truth is dishonest when you have an audience that is looking to you for full reviews/information.

He simply gets more clicks for being negative towards it.

If Stadia flourishes, I assume he will be the first to jump on crowd sharing etc to get the most clicks again.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I would argue they can't really control the internet speed requirement, as compression and lag reduction technology can only take you so far.

They have been mentioning they are getting better and better at compressing the data, thus using less internet speed.

What you said is still valid, they don't have full control over it.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Which in return, I replied about exclusives so why the hostility about my reply?

I guess I was just looking for an actual answer to a question.

You mentioned exclusives, I agree with you.

Then I mentioned there are also other types of exclusives Stadia could utilize.

Although multi platform:

They may be able to get it earlier (Orcs Must Die 3)
or
With more features (Grid)
or
Without needing to spend on a costly PC, if gamers don't own a very good PC (Baldurs Gate 3)

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I guess I was just looking for an actual answer to a question.

You mentioned exclusives, I agree with you.

Then I mentioned there are also other types of exclusives Stadia could utilize.

Although multi platform:

They may be able to get it earlier (Orcs Must Die 3)
or
With more features (Grid)
or
Without needing to spend on a costly PC, if gamers don't own a very good PC (Baldurs Gate 3)
Had there been an actual question, I might have given an answer.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Your just being difficult now.

I'll just avoid responding to you.
I was just trying to justify my response. Had I known there was a question in there somewhere, I would have made an effort to respond to what you talked about. I didn't see a question so I followed up with a different response on what I was thinking about. That's all. Not everything people say on the internet is confrontational.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Exactly the type of video I would expect you to post. Just as uninformed about the product as you.

Your just being difficult now.

I'll just avoid responding to you.

Two responses to two different posters (one of which was me) in less than 24 hours.

Honest question here. At what point do you stop and say "maybe I am the one who needs to rethink my position a bit"? There is nothing wrong with being a fan of the Stadia. To each their own. But there is also nothing wrong with being critical of a product that, to many seems underwhelming/flawed. Calling those who are critical of the product misinformed/fanboys/difficult, etc. isn't really helping your credibility as you try to build you case to why it is a good product.

Just my 2c and FWIW, I am genuinely being sincere in what I said above.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Two responses to two different posters (one of which was me) in less than 24 hours.

Honest question here. At what point do you stop and say "maybe I am the one who needs to rethink my position a bit"? There is nothing wrong with being a fan of the Stadia. To each their own. But there is also nothing wrong with being critical of a product that, to many seems underwhelming/flawed. Calling those who are critical of the product misinformed/fanboys/difficult, etc. isn't really helping your credibility as you try to build you case to why it is a good product.

Just my 2c and FWIW, I am genuinely being sincere in what I said above.

I genuinely think that you should research something before being critical about it.

The video you posted spreads false "facts" that I have mentioned above.

Take a look at the posters who have brought up credible and accurate criticisms of the system, I reply accordingly.

If you are going to post nonsense and untrue statements I'm going to argue with you over it. Simple as that.

I totally get not liking the system or it not being for you, which I have responded on here multiple times, but why come in and just try to diminish the product without using actual facts ?

I am also being sincere, but I don't like to put up with posters who make up false facts.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
  1. He talks about the prices of games like he knows they are all full price, which he doesn't know (and neither do any of us). All we have to go on is that it's been stated they are "competitive"
The quote from Phil Harrison is (paraphrasing) he "doesn't see why it would be cheaper" than other platforms.

The video states "this is not a subscription like game pass. You will be buying your games at full price."

As in, you will need to pay the same you would on other consoles. Is this not a fair statement?

He even clarifies further with an example saying "$40-$60 on a Tomb Raider game", which is close (it's currently $35 on PlayStation for example).

2. He states the games are only being played at 1080 p and does not reference 4k in anyway (That I remember). He isn't talking about PC only, it was a blanket statement.

The only place he mentions 1080p that I'm aware of is when he's talking about playing Red Dead Redemption. That might have been a misstep/mistake, agreed, and he should have mentioned that it's 4K if you are one of the few that have the Founder's Edition pre-ordered. I'm not sure what he was talking about - but the fact that it's 1080p on everything else but the specific Chromecast you get with the Founder's Edition is still a major caveat for any potential adopters.

To be fair, there's also nothing wrong with playing RDR2 in 1080p so I have no idea what he was condescending about in this particular case.

If he isn't talking about Stadia Base, only Launch Stadia. He then mentions it's only 1080p. So which is it ?

Launch Stadia, very clearly. The video is about value at launch compared to other consoles and what he thinks Google needs to do in the future to make it successful for existing gamers such as himself and his audience.

He purposely left out this information. He actually makes it sound like you get more from xbox live and ps+, which is untrue (Again, what I remember from it)

He is very careful to only point out half of the facts and then make it sounds like it's the entire picture.

Is he flat out lying about some of the service, No. But with holding the full truth is dishonest when you have an audience that is looking to you for full reviews/information.

He simply gets more clicks for being negative towards it.

If Stadia flourishes, I assume he will be the first to jump on crowd sharing etc to get the most clicks again.

Why do you assume negative intent?

He even specifically talks about being excited for it within reasonable expectations and what he thinks they can/should do to make it successful.

I don't think I've been overly negative on Stadia, but I do think he has a few points in there.

What I got out of that video is that he thinks the value isn't there at the moment, and there is very little incentive for ordinary people to switch hardware at this point in time. Do you disagree? Who do you think are the early adopters?

Last edited:

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The quote from Phil Harrison is (paraphrasing) he "doesn't see why it would be cheaper" than other platforms.

The video states "this is not a subscription like game pass. You will be buying your games at full price."

As in, you will need to pay the same you would on other consoles. Is this not a fair statement?

He even clarifies further with an example saying "$40-$60 on a Tomb Raider game", which is close (it's currently $35 on PlayStation for example).

The only place he mentions 1080p that I'm aware of is when he's talking about playing Red Dead Redemption. That might have been a misstep/mistake, agreed, and he should have mentioned that it's 4K if you are one of the few that have the Founder's Edition pre-ordered. I'm not sure what he was talking about - but the fact that it's 1080p on everything else but the specific Chromecast you get with the Founder's Edition is still a major caveat for any potential adopters.

To be fair, there's also nothing wrong with playing RDR2 in 1080p so I have no idea what he was condescending about in this particular case.

Launch Stadia, very clearly. The video is about value at launch compared to other consoles and what he thinks Google needs to do in the future to make it successful for existing gamers such as himself and his audience.

Why do you assume negative intent?

He even specifically talks about being excited for it within reasonable expectations and what he thinks they can/should do to make it successful.

I don't think I've been overly negative on Stadia, but I do think he has a few points in there.

What I got out of that video is that he thinks the value isn't there at the moment, and there is very little incentive for ordinary people to switch hardware at this point in time. Do you disagree? Who do you think are the early adopters?

I got from the video that he is clearly not advocating for the system.

Maybe I read into it differently, but when the original poster quoted "slaughter of stadia" I dont think I'm the only one taking it that way.

He very much hides specific facts which make the system look worse and highlights on things he assumes will happen, but talks like they are facts.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

He mentions a couple of prices on the current systems and implied you will pay full price for them in Stadia. He could end up being right but as of now none of us know the prices.

Not really fair to call it a misstep. He very specifically mentions this point. When one of Stadia's biggest features is 4k 60fps.

He never mentions if you want to play at launch you need to purchase hardware, he just says you need to purchase hardware (to my memory, I could be misremembering exactly what he said)

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
He mentions a couple of prices on the current systems and implied you will pay full price for them in Stadia. He could end up being right but as of now none of us know the prices.

But all he can go off of is what Google has said, and Google has said the games will be the same price.

Not really fair to call it a misstep. He very specifically mentions this point. When one of Stadia's biggest features is 4k 60fps.

I call it a misstep because he's not technically wrong. He's only wrong if you buy the box.

It was also a weird and irrelevant point to make, really....

He never mentions if you want to play at launch you need to purchase hardware, he just says you need to purchase hardware (to my memory, I could be misremembering exactly what he said)

Which you do, unless you already have a PC...in which case you can't use the 4K 60 FPS, one of the biggest features as you mentioned above.

The majority of use cases are to buy some sort of hardware, no? I mean, you CAN use other devices, but it's currently an inferior product. I would assume the default would be buying the hardware too.

Most of the comparisons he draws is its value relative to other consoles, which would mean you likely need to buy the Stadia hardware rather than the PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo. I feel like it remains a legitimate point of discussion to include the hardware price in light of that.

I got from the video that he is clearly not advocating for the system.

Maybe I read into it differently, but when the original poster quoted "slaughter of stadia" I dont think I'm the only one taking it that way.

He very much hides specific facts which make the system look worse and highlights on things he assumes will happen, but talks like they are facts.

It's very clearly a criticism video. I don't think anyone would deny that.

I don't see how that translates into him "hiding" facts or spreading "false" facts.

Your earlier statements in this very thread don't give all the caveats, and I'm guessing mine don't either. That doesn't mean either of us is being malicious. In fact, we give the information to try to counter the other - that's sort of how debate/discussion works.

To clarify, I'm not saying it was a great video. What I am saying is to call it "uninformed" and dismiss it out of hand because it didn't provide all the details is ignoring the legitimate points it made.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Anyway, stepping out of the weeds for a second, I'm very interested to see what happens on the 19th.

Personally, I would like to play through my PC just to see how well the tech works....but I'm sort of a nerd. :laugh:

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad