Google Stadia

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Support may only mean technical/call support in this case?

Perhaps, but, usually, when you mean technical support, you mention it; otherwise, it's assumed to be what the product supports. Also, at the end of the paragraph, it says that "Google wants Stadia to run on every screen eventually," which suggests that the paragraph is about operation of the service, not technical support. Who knows.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Wait. Roll back the tape to 5:00. A "phone is needed for initial setup and buying games," but support will be limited to Google Pixel phones until sometime next year? Is that a joke? They're launching a service that only 1% of the public can even use?

I believe (and I could be wrong) that the app to set up/buy games on Stadia is available for all android phones (interfaces with Google Play Store, presumably) but you can only use the actual Stadia streaming to a Pixel phone at this time.

Again, I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I believe (and I could be wrong) that the app to set up/buy games on Stadia is available for all android phones (interfaces with Google Play Store, presumably) but you can only use the actual Stadia streaming to a Pixel phone at this time.

That makes more sense. That's probably it. Either way, we'll find out in a couple of days.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

That makes more sense. That's probably it. Either way, we'll find out in a couple of days.

That is how it works.

The phone (android or Iphone) app downloaded on Play Store or App Store, is to get everything initially set up, then it seems you don't need it until you want to cast to somewhere else, I think.

Here is a bit of information from the Reddit AMA:

Question:
"Will a phone have to be used every time you try to use stadia on the chromecast to cast stadia, or just for initial setup?"

Answer:
"BERI: You will not need your phone every time you use Stadia. The phone is needed for initial setup and buying games. Once you’ve connected, to play games, you can just grab your controller and hit the Stadia button.

I do want to call out that casting from the app streamlines playing on the go. Instead of packing up my console when I want to play at my friend’s place, I can just bring my Stadia Controller and cast to my friend’s Chromecast Ultra from my phone. When I’m done, I can close my session and my account will be logged out."

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I can't link the site from work, but apparently Stadia doubled its launch lineup. Seems Google may be hearing the complaints, which is good.

The article I saw is from PC Gamer.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I can't link the site from work, but apparently Stadia doubled its launch lineup. Seems Google may be hearing the complaints, which is good.

The article I saw is from PC Gamer.

Google Stadia will have 10 more games at launch

Here is one to show the new games.

That interview I posted the other day with John Justice he hinted toward this, saying something along the lines of

"We only announced the games that were completely on the system, multiple more are in the final stages of being on the system" (Paraphrasing obviously).

Edit: PC Gamer Article (I Assume the one you were referring to) The Google Stadia launch line-up has nearly doubled | PC Gamer

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Yikes.

With such a limited physical package, you'd think set up would dead simple, but it's actually rather complicated.

Double yikes.

When playing both on TV at 4K, there was noticeable latency. During movement, I was able to adjust, but aiming was an absolute chore with the lag. I'd frequently over or under shoot my target and have to micro-correct, which was damned near impossible.

The music-based puzzle game Kine probably came across the best, requiring no specific twitch movements in order to play it. Likewise, adventure game Glyt played well across all platforms. The further away from action you get, the better Stadia comes off.

That isn't surprising. We all knew the latency would be an issue.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Stadia tech review: the best game streaming yet, but far from ready

Again, the obvious takeaway from Stadia is that despite a 4K output from Chromecast Ultra, the game itself is rendering at a lower resolution. It took a bit of effort to figure out what's going on, but the evidence points to Red Dead Redemption 2 operating with an internal pixel-count of 1440p. Again, we'll be looking at the specific visual feature set of the Stadia port in future, but first impressions suggest a good level of similarity in terms of specific settings with the Xbox One X version. Meanwhile, the Stadia port of RDR2 also seems to be running at the same 30 frames per second frame-rate as well.

Latency TestsXbox One XStadiaDifference
Destiny 2100ms (30fps)144ms (60fps)+44ms
Mortal Kombat 1178ms122ms+44ms
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 60fps83ms139ms+56ms
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 30fps167ms217ms+50ms
GyltN/A (Stadia Exclusive)139ms-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yes, the lag is perceptible, but remember that the vast majority of players are gaming on flat panels with game mode disabled - lag is a thing that many gamers just accept. Latency is important for sure, but across years of cloud system testing, we'd found that consistent response is probably more important (something we discussed with the xCloud team in an interview coming soon).

As a technological statement, Stadia impresses with the best image quality and latency I've seen from a streaming platform, but there's definitely scope for improvement from a stability perspective, and I'm not sure the question of what happens when someone else taps into your bandwidth has been adequately resolved: audio stutter and wobbly resolution were common on my fibre connection and even a 200mbps hook-up had very occasional slowdown.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
For all the bad reviews on performance there is as many that say the performance is great.

Google Stadia review: This could be big

THE GOOD
PerformanceShockingly good. On a good connection, generally indiscernible from running games locally to the untrained eye.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Google Stadia Review in Progress - IGN

Game streaming finally really here

Let’s start off with what’s good about the service. Unequivocally, Stadia delivers the highest fidelity graphics and lowest input lag of any game streaming service including Nvidia GeForce Now and Microsoft xCloud.

I’m floored with the graphical fidelity Stadia delivers over the air. Tiny details like scratches on your starfighter in Destiny 2 or patches of mud on Lara Croft’s arm are fully rendered as they would appear on a top-tier gaming PC. Better yet all the games I tried on Google Stadia really do stream at 60 frames per second, making them look indistinguishable from playing them on a home console or even a top-end gaming PC.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I think the product actually working was the thing that could kill it.

I understand there are some features not available day 1 and the games (up to 22 now) could have had a more impressive lineup.

But the product working (I assume the bad reviews were based on internet connections), is the important fact.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Every time people have tested this thing there's been like 30-40% more latency. Absolutely not interested as long as that's an issue.

Why would anybody play Mortal Kombat 11 or Samurai Shodown with an extra 4 frames of lag?

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Every time people have tested this thing there's been like 30-40% more latency. Absolutely not interested as long as that's an issue.

Why would anybody play Mortal Kombat 11 or Samurai Shodown with an extra 4 frames of lag?

I don't know who this is for either, if you're looking to play the best versions of games then Stadia is certainly falling short right now with input delay and graphical settings:

tmidlb63ehz31.png

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Doesn't look as bad for Tomb Raider, might be a bit of an issue because games were ported.

Once games are made for Stadia, they may be greater detail... Time will tell

Maybe.

This is supposed to compete with the next gen systems coming out next year, the fact that it can't run games as well as the current generation is concerning.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I think the product actually working was the thing that could kill it.

I understand there are some features not available day 1 and the games (up to 22 now) could have had a more impressive lineup.

But the product working (I assume the bad reviews were based on internet connections), is the important fact.

Yeah, it looks like it's actually doing pretty well on the latency front, but I think the key seems to be the 35mbps requirement was a touch optimistic. Some reviewers with 100mbps connections seem to think it runs smoothly (keeping in mind, it is best case scenario - with the actual Stadia hardware). Unfortunately, this obviously does limit its user base, but we'll see what happens going forward.

Gylt, the game designed exclusively for Stadia, seems to fare much better than the 3rd party games. Makes sense.

Launching threadbare on features could still present Google with a problem early on, but again we'll have to see how the product evolves.

Last edited:

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Maybe.

This is supposed to compete with the next gen systems coming out next year, the fact that it can't run games as well as the current generation is concerning.

I mean it's not the most fair comparison, when it's an old ported game into the system.

Maybe not all servers will be up and running until the actual launch.

They have over a year to have games that compete with next gen.

Again, time will tell if the system will compete.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Yeah, it looks like it's actually doing pretty well on the latency front, but I think the key seems to be the 35mbps requirement was a touch optimistic. Some reviewers with 100mbps connections seem to think it runs smoothly (keeping in mind, it is best case scenario - with the actual Stadia hardware). Unfortunately, this obviously does limit its user base, but we'll see what happens going forward.

Gylt, the game designed exclusively for Stadia, seems to fair much better than the 3rd party games. Makes sense.

Launching threadbare on features could still present Google with a problem early on, but again we'll have to see how the product evolves.

I saw in many reviews that the reviewers were "surprised" at how well it worked and "the best streaming games service so far".

Worst case scenario it pushes the industry closer to the "future of gaming".

But, I'm excited to try it myself and I'm excited for the future of the product (now that the actual concept has been proven to a point).

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I mean it's not the most fair comparison, when it's an old ported game into the system.

Those are the games they chose to represent this system on day one. If all the games need to be built from the ground up for Stadia they are going to have a problem getting widespread 3rd party support.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Those are the games they chose to represent this system on day one. If all the games need to be built from the ground up for Stadia they are going to have a problem getting widespread 3rd party support.

Games don't necessarily need to be design specifically for Stadia.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Games don't necessarily need to be design specifically for Stadia.

I didn't think so, it's essentially just a PC version of the game right?

But for whatever reason it's running on low-medium settings in at least some of these games. If Stadia is meant to be powerful enough for 4K 60fps on next gen games then Destiny 2 should be looking amazing on it.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I didn't think so, it's essentially just a PC version of the game right?

But for whatever reason it's running on low-medium settings in at least some of these games. If Stadia is meant to be powerful enough for 4K 60fps on next gen games then Destiny 2 should be looking amazing on it.

I agree.

From what I have seen, people aren't complaining about Destiny 2, mostly about RDR2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad