Google Stadia

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Slaughter of the Stadia :laugh:

Does this guy have anything new or useful to add? Reading the title I had assumed it launched and was technical issues, but lasted about 30 seconds and the guys way to condescending. Taking a look at Jim Sterling's channel where he's just talking about the lineup and that it isn't actually out for another week.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Does this guy have anything new or useful to add? Reading the title I had assumed it launched and was technical issues, but lasted about 30 seconds and the guys way to condescending. Taking a look at Jim Sterling's channel where he's just talking about the lineup and that it isn't actually out for another week.

Like....news? No, he's just doing an opinion video on the news.

Exactly the type of video I would expect you to post. Just as uninformed about the product as you.

What is uninformed about that video?

Seems to me that he's basically talking about how Google is falling short of its promises for launch, and how the value isn't there yet. He's giving the opinion that he doesn't think it will attract customers in its current state, and gives suggestions on how he thinks it might work in the future.

Reactions: Beau Knows

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Like....news? No, he's just doing an opinion video on the news.

What is uninformed about that video?

Seems to me that he's basically talking about how Google is falling short of its promises for launch, and how the value isn't there yet. He's giving the opinion that he doesn't think it will attract customers in its current state, and gives suggestions on how he thinks it might work in the future.

Just off the top of my head (Because I won't put myself thought watching that again).
  1. He states that you will pay full price for older games. There is no evidence of this, actually google said games will be competitive with prices on other systems, and they doubled down on that in their Reddit AMA yesterday.
  2. He says that Stadia is 1080p, which is completely untrue.
  3. Never mentions Stadia basic, just the Pro version (and bashes it for having to pay monthly). There is a choice, not mandatory.
  4. States that you get no free games with Stadia Pro, which is also untrue.
  5. He says you need to pay for the system (Controller/chromecast), which is again not true.
It's very disappointing that someone with such a large following can have all these followers blindly listen to him when he doesn't even do basic research on his subject.

Not to mention a clear bias against Google/Stadia.

He mentions the launch title list being not too large. I can agree with this, and is basically one of the only true statement he made.

As I have said multiple times, this system isn't for everyone, but why spread untrue "facts" about it ?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Ill be shocked if this thing ever rises above novelty status and if its still alive 18 months from now in any meaningful way
Absolutely agree. The only chance for survival is to snag an exclusive deal for a major franchise and I can't see any developers taking the risk of developing exclusively for Stadia. Odds are it won't be enough to make people buy a Stadia and then you are sitting there with a dead product until the exclusivity runs out.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ill be shocked if this thing ever rises above novelty status and if its still alive 18 months from now in any meaningful way

Yep. This article brings up the fact that a lot of people are going to be reluctant to get it. The data cap issue could be a real problem for people. Even if it could work, people might be wary about getting it and that could impact whether or not the service sticks around.

Skeptics wonder how it could possibly work given today’s internet speeds, the possibility of blowing through your data cap, and the requirement that gamers pay full price for titles that may only live in the cloud. Critics speculate that cloud gaming might eliminate the used game market and modding scene, and impact the ability to preserve games for future generations. Potential adopters worry what might happen if it isn’t quite as much of a success as Google hopes, since Google is infamous for walking away from products when they don’t have the desired impact. Nobody wants to buy games that might disappear, after all.

The world is waiting for Google Stadia to flop

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What makes you think this is the case ? (Honest Question)
It's already an incredibly difficult market to break into where consumers have a high degree of loyalty, whether to PC vs console or a specific console. Not only that, Stadia requires some degree of faith and buy-in from the consumer, whether it be lag or internet required or something else. New technology requires a bit of faith.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yep. This article brings up the fact that a lot of people are going to be reluctant to get it. The data cap issue could be a real problem for people. Even if it could work, people might be wary about getting it and that could impact whether or not the service sticks around.

The world is waiting for Google Stadia to flop

I didn't even THINK about the data cap issue. Based on a quick google search (ironic) 1080p is roughly 1.5 GB an hour, 2k is 3GB and 4k is 7.2GB for video streaming. I would imagine the Stadia costs would be similar. Anything above 1080p would be dicey for a lot of folks.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
It's already an incredibly difficult market to break into where consumers have a high degree of loyalty, whether to PC vs console or a specific console. Not only that, Stadia requires some degree of faith and buy-in from the consumer, whether it be lag or internet required or something else. New technology requires a bit of faith.

I understand that, but new technology is introduced and succeeds every day. Literally everything we use today at one point was "New Technology".

They sold out of their founders editions and have been selling the next bundle deal (Premiere Edition) so you have to assume a lot of users are showing faith in the product.

Is this going to be a slow rollout of the product, Yes.

I don't have a problem with that, when something is this new I would rather have them slowly release it then throw out everything and have major issues.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I agree. I would have been more inclined to give it a shot if it were something like Netflix but if I'm buying new games at full price, I'm just going to stick with a major console and or PC.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I understand that, but new technology is introduced and succeeds every day. Literally everything we use today at one point was "New Technology".

They sold out of their founders editions and have been selling the next bundle deal (Premiere Edition) so you have to assume a lot of users are showing faith in the product.

Is this going to be a slow rollout of the product, Yes.

I don't have a problem with that, when something is this new I would rather have them slowly release it then throw out everything and have major issues.
And there is always new technology that flops. It's all about timing.

Yeah, everything has early adopters that embrace any new before it's really proven.

The tricky part will be this though. The console market is very cyclical. It's why Gamestop has had major issues, but at least has the chance for a boost if they can make it to the next gen releases. If Stadia isn't able to get people on board before the next gens are released and a bulk of consumers pick up the next gen consoles, it's going to hurt Stadia. Once someone invests in their console, they interest in Stadia will go down to about 0 most likely.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Yeah, everything has early adopters that embrace any new before it's really proven.

The tricky part will be this though. The console market is very cyclical. It's why Gamestop has had major issues, but at least has the chance for a boost if they can make it to the next gen releases. If Stadia isn't able to get people on board before the next gens are released and a bulk of consumers pick up the next gen consoles, it's going to hurt Stadia. Once someone invests in their console, they interest in Stadia will go down to about 0 most likely.

I agree if someone buys a console, they likely won't look to Stadia for all of their gaming. The timing on Stadia's release is likely not a coincidence (and why they likely don't want to delay the release).

That's why Stadia (and any console or PC) needs exclusives eventually, or timed exclusives at the very least.

The nice thing about Stadia (If everything stays consistent, which I would assume will happen) is if they get exclusives, it takes no initial or subscription investment to buy that game and play.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I think that's a great point. People aren't going to invest $400 into a next gen system and then just throw it away. If Stadia doesn't ramp up the offerings before the hype around next gen consoles hits they're going to have an even steeper uphill battle.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I agree if someone buys a console, they likely won't look to Stadia for all of their gaming. The timing on Stadia's release is likely not a coincidence (and why they likely don't want to delay the release).

That's why Stadia (and any console or PC) needs exclusives eventually, or timed exclusives at the very least.

The nice thing about Stadia (If everything stays consistent, which I would assume will happen) is if they get exclusives, it takes no initial or subscription investment to buy that game and play.

I don't think they need exclusives as much as a they need a large, competitive (newer titles) library of games very quickly. If they get exclusives but still have a small library of games, that's going to hurt them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think that's a great point. People aren't going to invest $400 into a next gen system and then just throw it away. If Stadia doesn't ramp up the offerings before the hype around next gen consoles hits they're going to have an even steeper uphill battle.
And we'll still have to wait on the console price, which could affect initial sales of nex gen consoles, which could help Stadia. Just a lot of uncertainty at the moment. A console costing $600 is definitely a concern I have.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I don't think they need exclusives as much as a they need a large, competitive (newer titles) library of games very quickly. If they get exclusives but still have a small library of games, that's going to hurt them.

I completely agree.

I didn't specify, but I meant along with the big titles that everyone will have.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
And we'll still have to wait on the console price, which could affect initial sales of nex gen consoles, which could help Stadia. Just a lot of uncertainty at the moment. A console costing $600 is definitely a concern I have.

Those console I would assume will be more expensive then their predecessors by a decent margin, just based on the specs they will have.

Like you say, completely up in the air still, and exactly why Stadia wants to launch now and get the bugs figured out.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Those console I would assume will be more expensive then their predecessors by a decent margin, just based on the specs they will have.

Like you say, completely up in the air still, and exactly why Stadia wants to launch now and get the bugs figured out.
Not only will the newer consoles just inevitably be more expensive, but we won't know what trade relations with China will be like and if increased tariffs will apply.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I know PC's are intimidating in a lot of ways for people, but there must be a certain point where people would just prefer to spend the money on a computer instead of a console. $300 was the limit for me on consoles and even then I wasn't thrilled about it. I'm a person who only buys a handful of games and plays the heck out of them. I'm also curious about what the next gen consoles are offering that Stadia might not be able to compete with. I'm thinking about some type of new experience that will only be available on each companies platform.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I know PC's are intimidating in a lot of ways for people, but there must be a certain point where people would just prefer to spend the money on a computer instead of a console. $300 was the limit for me on consoles and even then I wasn't thrilled about it. I'm a person who only buys a handful of games and plays the heck out of them. I'm also curious about what the next gen consoles are offering that Stadia might not be able to compete with. I'm thinking about some type of new experience that will only be available on each companies platform.
I think that's the difference between more hardcore gamers and people that are more casual about it, even if they play a good amount of time.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Exclusive games play a big part for me as well. I must play MLB The Show and I'm only getting that with a Playstation console. The same can be said for many people about any series they love.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Exclusive games play a big part for me as well. I must play MLB The Show and I'm only getting that with a Playstation console. The same can be said for many people about any series they love.

With Stadia I think it can be a bit different too (Timed Exclusives / PC&Stadia Exclusives).

Orc's must die 3 would be an example of a timed exclusive (comes to Stadia before other consoles), which could sway people to play on Stadia.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a good example, it's on PC and Stadia, but if you don't have the PC to run it (Would have to invest tons to play), Stadia is easily the best option.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
With Stadia I think it can be a bit different too (Timed Exclusives / PC&Stadia Exclusives).

Orc's must die 3 would be an example of a timed exclusive (comes to Stadia before other consoles), which could sway people to play on Stadia.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a good example, it's on PC and Stadia, but if you don't have the PC to run it (Would have to invest tons to play), Stadia is easily the best option.
Those are multiplatform games though. I'm talking about platform exclusives. Are people willing to forgo their favorite series of games to give Stadia a try? Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad