Goodbye Goose

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Was never impressed with this player one bit. I felt that second half performance last year was smoke and mirrors. He sucks and I doubt he’ll do much better on any other NHL team.

I’m sure he can be a bigger fish in the smaller KHL pond.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So why would he sign elsewhere? If I am him I keep my 4.5 million unless someone offers me more and then play maybe next year after pocketing the money.

I think you're still misunderstanding what happened - a mutual termination ends a contract but both sides have to agree to it. Once that happens, Gusev gets $0 from the Devils no matter what he does.

But if you're not misunderstanding - you're not him. He might want to stay in the NHL and North America and knows that if he doesn't get into some games down the stretch that he will have no chance of doing so next year. His agent might've talked to other teams who were interested but couldn't make the salary work.

Camille the Eel

I probably am confused. I thought they had released him. In which case it wouldn’t be mutual. I am certainly surprised if he renounced his 4.5 million unless nothing was left of it.

Just wondering what the actual situation is. If he asked for and received a release that’s one situation. If they released him without his rescinding his deal that’s another. I don’t understand which it is.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
6gskp8nl.jpeg

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I probably am confused. I thought they had released him. In which case it wouldn’t be mutual. I am certainly surprised if he renounced his 4.5 million unless nothing was left of it.

Just wondering what the actual situation is. If he asked for and received a release that’s one situation. If they released him without his rescinding his deal that’s another. I don’t understand which it is.

The season is like at 70% mark at the moment, so he has received the major part of that money already. So if my calculations are right, if he signs with some team for a league minimum, his total losses in salary will be around 900k.

So in other words Goose is willing to lose 900k to get a chance to prove himself somewhere else.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Money ain’t everything to everyone, I’m sure his pride has taken a hit having been in the press box for a significant amount of time this year.

If he wants to stick in the league and someone will give him a chance, this will be a tryout period essentially if he agrees to terms with someone to show he can.

Wish him all the best, was hoping he would’ve built off of his end last year but between COVID, the shortened season and what it appears Ruff is looking for in his skaters, he just never looked comfortable this year. In the right system, I think he can thrive again somewhere else.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I thought a player had to be signed by a club before a specified deadline for him to be eligible for the playoffs. Wouldn't Goose have to also?

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Gusev before going to the nhl: finally, i will no longer be called by morons a f***ing goose

Gusev realized that in english goose is also a goose:

Camille the Eel

The season is like at 70% mark at the moment, so he has received the major part of that money already. So if my calculations are right, if he signs with some team for a league minimum, his total losses in salary will be around 900k.

So in other words Goose is willing to lose 900k to get a chance to prove himself somewhere else.
Okay got it. He’s been released and it’s his choice now. The difference between the legal terminology of contract and the terms of art on sports - waivers, etc. - is confusing to someone more familiar with one terminology or the other.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It's 70% of a 66% season. I'm not sure whether NHL players get money prorated or if they're getting full contracts for a partial season but I'd imagine it's probably prorated so he'd likely have been paid more like $3 million this year. Figure he's been paid $2.1 of that (70%) plus whatever he may get elsewhere so it's close enough, maybe 600k of a difference in the end but like someone else said this is also his last chance at an audition before he has to go back overseas.

I thought a player had to be signed by a club before a specified deadline for him to be eligible for the playoffs. Wouldn't Goose have to also?

The deadline for that is the same as the trade deadline - Monday 3 PM.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
BB04970B-45B7-460D-85B9-8D6E93E28844.jpeg

Huge signing for Florida if true. It must be nice to be able to give away an explosive talent like Gusev. We give him away so a cup contender can sign him for free? What a gong show this org has turned into. We’re in worse shape than those 80’s teams. Thanks again Fitz.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad