Good bye Glendening

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So, Detroit offered more money to Marc f***ing Staal than Luke f***ing Glendening.

That's f***ing insane.

Alternate captain.
Top PK forward.
Most faceoffs taken. 60+ percent won.
Plays the final minute protecting a lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mlotek and heyfolks

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
tenor.gif

Good luck to Luke in Dallas. Shame we couldn't open up the purse strings even a little bit for him. His hard work alone is enough to keep him.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Well. I'm gonna miss the guy in a Wings uni big time. LFG is one of my absolute favorites. He played the way I always tried to play in my competitive days. I remember spilling a million words defending him back in the day. I wish I could remember who it was, but I argued for days with someone who was adamant that Joakim Andersson was twice the player Luke was and that Detroit was going to regret it when they essentially chose Luke over him lol. I'm riding and dying with Lindstrom these days, but LFG was my first ride or die. Best of luck to him in Dallas, I'm excited for him that he'll have a chance on a competitive team. Today still stings a bit.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We are talking about two players whose combined worth is less than $4 million. No need to be so hyperbolic.

Nothing hyperbolic about it.
Luke Glendening was major part of this team.

If Luke had gotten paid really well, or gotten a huge term, I would have understood it.

But I don't understand letting him walk at numbers like these. At all.

Grand scheme of things? We still suck. No surprise. That wasn't going to change.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Says more about the team than Glendening, honestly.

Considering the GM is the same guy that noted Johan Franzen's work ethic before he blew up on the Wings (and is one of the hardest working players to play for the Wings), I am not terribly concerned about his evaluation of the anticipated compete-level of the roster. To call it "insane" is hyperbolic, no matter how you frame it.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
So, Detroit offered more money to Marc f***ing Staal than Luke f***ing Glendening.

That's f***ing insane.

Alternate captain.
Top PK forward.
Most faceoffs taken. 60+ percent won.
Plays the final minute protecting a lead.
I guess you must not have been listening in on the private conversation where Steve said "we love you Luke, name your price," and Luke responded "at this point in my life it's not about the money, I just want the opportunity to contribute in the playoffs before my play drops off."

Reactions: SoupNazi

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

If Luke had gotten paid really well, or gotten a huge term, I would have understood it.

But I don't understand letting him walk at numbers like these. At all.

Grand scheme of things? We still suck. No surprise. That wasn't going to change.

Well here's a rare chance for us to agree a bit. I have to assume LFG wanted to play on a competitive team (don't blame him one bit), and that that was a major factor in all this, but if I'm wrong about that assumption, then yeah, Detroit messed up here.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I mean, a $1.5 (or 1. whatever) cap hit? Man... I hope it was the opportunity.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Says more about the team than Glendening, honestly.

Considering the GM is the same guy that noted Johan Franzen's work ethic before he blew up on the Wings (and is one of the hardest working players to play for the Wings), I am not terribly concerned about his evaluation of the anticipated compete-level of the roster. To call it "insane" is hyperbolic, no matter how you frame it.

I don't disagree about the level of our team.

To call it hyperbolic is hyperbolic.

Losing Glendening at 2x$1,5M is not wise.
It makes no sense.

This is a guy who for years has been held up as someone who plays the right way and is the consummate professional.
With so many young players on this team, why would you let someone like that walk?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Best of luck Glendening. I think fans appreciated him because of how well he played his role but maybe even more so that he never played outside his role. He wasn't like other players that wore out their welcome with country club contracts or being played over their head.

I wish we could have gotten one of those deadline deals from him the last couple years but no dice. Man is he in for some great hockey in Dallas.

I am almost certain the wings offered somethign for him to come back this is simply a case for someone probably tired of putting up with this roster night in night out.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Definitely a great role player for the Wings. But in the grand scheme of things, this is no actual loss. He would not have been here or been the same player when this team turns the corner and starts to be competitive.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I don't disagree about the level of our team.

To call it hyperbolic is hyperbolic.

Losing Glendening at 2x$1,5M is not wise.
It makes no sense.

This is a guy who for years has been held up as someone who plays the right way and is the consummate professional.
With so many young players on this team, why would you let someone like that walk?
Perhaps I use a different definition of insanity, because a "bad" decision where you let go of a cheap depth guy in his 30s doesn't in any way constitute "insanity" to me.

What do you believe are the short-term implications of losing Glendening? Long-term?

Reactions: ricky0034

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Hate to see it, guy rarely had a bad game, good on faceoffs and killing penalties, he's the 4th line C you'd think most teams would be happy to have. Now he can get some playoff time and help Dallas go deep into the playoffs again. Thanks for all you did Luke, you'll be missed by a lot of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad