Good bye Glendening

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
Not a huge loss. He played his heart out, but meh, it’s not like we lost a top 2C. Don’t really care about his F/O %, won’t matter much w this team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
sorry. that's what I meant. That it sounds like Dallas offered less money but more term. Whereas it sounds like the Wings may have offered a 1 year deal.
Well, Stevie has to make sure there's room for Gagner in 22/23.

I hope this means Stevie is going after a big name center next offseason.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So, Detroit offered more money to Marc f***ing Staal than Luke f***ing Glendening.

That's f***ing insane.

Alternate captain.
Top PK forward.
Most faceoffs taken. 60+ percent won.
Plays the final minute protecting a lead.
Why are you comparing the Wings contract offer for a Dman to a 4th line center?

Forbort got 3 years at $3 million. Ceci got 4 years at $3.25. Hamilton got 7 years at $9 million. The market for UFA defenseman was not cheap.

I wanted Glenny to stay and like him a lot as a player, but this has f*** all to do with Staal.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I can't see that being the case. No way they would let him walk because of money especially since they have so much cap to use. I'm guessing Luke wanted to be on a contender.

Agreed, he even said that it was one of the toughest decision hes ever had to make. That doesnt sound like its something motivated by money.

My only issue, is if we were going to loose him, I wish Yzerman traded him at the TDL. Id much rather have had a 3rd or 4th rounder then him for 13 more games. When he didnt trade him, I assumed he was a lock to re-sign.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
It’s nice to see the appreciation for this guy here. He always impressed me when I watched you guys play. I’m guessing it’s not only the thinking the Stars are closer to winning now, but also betting there may be a good rapport with Jim Nill from his younger days.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Too bad. Way to be a good loyal teammate to the wings organization for many years. Best of luck to you as you chase a cup.

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wonder if we replace him with Chase Pearson, or should we go with center core of:

Larkin
Suter
Veleno
Rasmussen
(Namestnikov as spare option)
Pearson ?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Nothing hyperbolic about it.
Luke Glendening was major part of this team.

If Luke had gotten paid really well, or gotten a huge term, I would have understood it.

But I don't understand letting him walk at numbers like these. At all.

Grand scheme of things? We still suck. No surprise. That wasn't going to change.
Have you considered that maybe Glendening wanted to leave?

Reactions: Henkka

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I was a bit bummed we weren't able to trade him but it's not a huge deal. He was great on faceoffs and obviously played with grit. I wish him the best and am excited about the youth movement going on right now.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Nah. Detroit doesn't need centers who win faceoffs.
We have a special team that doesn't need to win faceoffs.
It's a shame that the Red Wings let go of the only player in the NHL that can win faceoffs.

Out of curiosity, what degree do you think Glendening's faceoff ability helped the team, and to what degree do you believe that losing his skillset will hurt the team?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It's a shame that the Red Wings let go of the only player in the NHL that can win faceoffs.

Out of curiosity, what degree do you think Glendening's faceoff ability helped the team, and to what degree do you believe that losing his skillset will hurt the team?

How important are faceoffs to possession in women’s hockey?

EDIT: Here's another.
Why faceoffs aren't as important as they're made out to be

DOUBLE EDIT: And another.
DO FACEOFFS MATTER IN HOCKEY? – Five Hole Analytics

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't think the faceoffs will be a big deal. Faceoffs don't matter, nothing matters in fact, when a team l lacks tallent. When this team has a legit talented core the gaps can be filled in easily. Actually, everything that hurts this team "right now" helps in the "long run".

I wish we could have got the pick at TDL too but it would have only been a 3rd so whatever. Yzerman didn't even want all his picks this year.

Something tells me Yzerman thought he would re-sign also but probably feels the same way we do, we'll be fine and just wishing him the best.

For Dallas fans diling in you got someone that shows up every shift and treuly specializes in their job. He's like that set it and forget it commercial, 4th line PK and faceoffs are now completely covered for you :)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think the faceoffs will be a big deal. Faceoffs don't matter, nothing matters in fact, when a team l lacks tallent. When this team has a legit talented core the gaps can be filled in easily. Actually, everything that hurts this team "right now" helps in the "long run".

I wish we could have got the pick at TDL too but it would have only been a 3rd so whatever. Yzerman didn't even want all his picks this year.

Something tells me Yzerman thought he would re-sign also but probably feels the same way we do, we'll be fine and just wishing him the best.

For Dallas fans diling in you got someone that shows up every shift and treuly specializes in their job. He's like that set it and forget it commercial, 4th line PK and faceoffs are now completely covered for you :)
Maybe their coach will utilize and take advantage of his skill sets better than Blash. When you have the league's leading FO guy, the smart move would have been to have him take FO in critical situations. I'd even start him in OT just to take the FO then go to the bench as soon as the team gains possession.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Your sarcasm isn't helping the tone of the conversation.
Here are our centers and their faceoff percentages and # of faceoff wins last year, (in order of faceoff wins)
Glendening 60.9 523
Larkin 49.5 361 (he should improve)
Namestnikov 39.1 135
Rasmussen 44.4 134
Filppula 45.0 109
Gagner 46.1 46.1 83
Fabbri 43.1 83
Nielsen 52.5 21
Veleno 50 17
And
Suter 42.6 286

So if you think winning faceoffs has value, and I do, losing Glendening will matter to some degree. Most notably, the Wings may see this on the PP and in close games.

In addition, there is the PK.
Will the Wings PK get worse next year?

And then, I distinctly recall all the people searching for reasons to support $2M a year for Staal talking about "leadership" and being a good glue guy.

But that doesn't matter for our alternate captain?
They our coaching staff roomed with Larkin so that Larkin could see how to be a pro?>

I mean - keep arguing for sport if you want to. But there's no way in the world I believe you had Staal pegged at more money than Staal.

I put my contract thoughts down before these contracts were signed..
You didn't.
Which gives you the flexibility to argue every damn viewpoint in the world to support the home side.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I put my contract thoughts down before these contracts were signed..
You didn't.
Which gives you the flexibility to argue every damn viewpoint in the world to support the home side.
As someone who gets called a "contrarian" on a regular basis, you should know how dishonest this characterization is.

What is my first post on this thread? What do you think my opinion is on the decision to let Glendening go based on that post?

Reactions: SoupNazi

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
For those of you saying "why didn't we trade him": Because no one wanted him enough to offer something significantly valuable, because Glendening has very little value.

That's why he's getting $1.5M per year, less than he made from us.

For MBH, who thinks Glendening is worth more: Then why isn't he making more?

This is a forward who cannot score. We can't afford that -- I don't mean in terms of money, I mean in terms of the roster spot he's wasting. We don't have any 40 goal scorers to make up for this guy's complete non-production.

Oh, and I've met Glendening. And he's a bit of a dick, which is a rarity among NHL players, who are mostly very courteous and engaging. He and Mike Green were the only two guys on the roster, at that time, that acted like they were above the fans, too good to waste their time speaking to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->