Gomez offered tryout contract by Devils

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Gomez is not really a 4th liner. signing him to play there is a waste.

he puts up 4th line numbers but is probobly more suited for 3rd line at this point. i want a 4th center that can get dirty and plug away…..gomez is not that (that HAS to be the reason lou loves gio so much) ……arggh

each part has his place. where is yayo's place is the real question then.

NC107*

Why have Gomez, assuming he has a good pre season camp, play 4th line center ? Have him play 3rd line center so that Henrique can play wing with Elias. If Gomez can make the team **** Deboer and dump Gionta and Bernier assuming Carter is signed.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Why have Gomez, assuming he has a good pre season camp, play 4th line center ? Have him play 3rd line center so that Henrique can play wing with Elias. If Gomez can make the team **** Deboer and dump Gionta and Bernier assuming Carter is signed.

what do we do with JJ and why did we give him and Gio a two year deal?

NC107*

what do we do with JJ and why did we give him and Gionta a two year deal?

We keep JJ and ask Lou why he gave him 2 years to Gionta, it was because of DeBoer, **** DeBoer and his step son. This season is about winning. I hope you agree. Lou is old, he is putting **** up on the wall and seeing what sticks. Not a good strategy but then it is Lou, does he have a strategy, he is play it cheap win with defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

NC107*

what do we do with JJ and why did we give him and Gio a two year deal?

We keep JJ and ask Lou why he gave him 2 years , it was because of DeBoer, **** DeBoer and his step son. This season is about winning. I hope you agree.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I don't see Josefson going anywhere with the team. If Loktionov was pushed off the team than Josefson has no chance because he is much worse than Loktionov.

Deleted member 28548

I dont think Gomez is gonna make the cut
I don't see him making the opening night roster either. This will only serve to light fires under the likes of Ruutu, Josefson, Gionta, and Carter assuming he re-signs with the team. Havlat has much to prove like Gomez does, but he's a far better bet to prove his skeptics wrong this season.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I don't see him making the opening night roster either. This will only serve to light fires under the likes of Ruutu, Josefson, Gionta, and Carter assuming he re-signs with the team. Havlat has much to prove like Gomez does, but he's a better bet to prove his skeptics wrong this season.

Gomer and Kaberle are both gonna be around for that reason I think

Deleted member 28548

I don't see Josefson going anywhere with the team. If Loktionov was pushed off the team than Josefson has no chance because he is much worse than Loktionov.
Every offseason I try and convince myself that this will finally be the year players like Josefson and Tedenby break out and every season I'm profoundly disappointed in the overall lack of progress. Hoping for the best with Josefson though. He seems to be saying all the right things to the media in his recent interview. Would like to see his offensive game mature still.

NC107*

Every offseason I try and convince myself that this will finally be the year players like Josefson and Tedenby break out and every season I'm profoundly disappointed in the overall lack of progress. Hoping for the best with Josefson though. He seems to be saying all the right things to the media in his recent interview. Would like to see his offensive game mature still.

I say blame DeBoer and Lou for not stepping up to DeBoer!

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
I know not many had high hope for Jagr last season either, did anyone envision him having the season he did on this team?

Gomez is still a pretty darn good skater and can still set players up, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team out of camp, is signed and has himself a rejuvenating season. I predict he gets about 15 goals and about 30-40 assists.

The Devils look like a team primed to really improve offensively this season and with Cammalleri, Zajac and Jagr getting all the tough line matching, Gomez will be a huge benefactor of this. I don't think Havlat will play more than 60 games and Gomez should really get some consideration to play wing on that second line.

Also the Devils could have two very good powerplay units this year.

On the main board, many have the Devils finishing as low as 7th in the Division. I don't see this doom and gloom that so many others are seeing.

The Devils had a top 5 defense last season in pretty much every defensive category, they just couldn't put the puck in the net consistently. Blame it on coaching, blame it on age, blame it on lacking of talent or blame it on injuries. I think the biggest issue was there too many new faces.

I think things will be much better this season offensively and I really think Gomez will bounce back in a big time.

My predictions:

Jagr with 30 goals and 75 Pts
Elias with 20 goals and 65 Pts
Cammalleri with 30 goals and 65 Pts
Zajac with 20 goals and 60 Pts
Henrique with 25 goals and 50 Pts
Gomez with 15 goals and 50 Pts

Call me crazy but I honestly think the Devils will be the surprise team of the year and the dark horse.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Gomez hasn't scored 40 points in the last 3 years combined. Now he is going to make this team and score 50?

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I know not many had high hope for Jagr last season either, did anyone envision him having the season he did on this team?

Gomez is still a pretty darn good skater and can still set players up, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team out of camp, is signed and has himself a rejuvenating season. I predict he gets about 15 goals and about 30-40 assists.

The Devils look like a team primed to really improve offensively this season and with Cammalleri, Zajac and Jagr getting all the tough line matching, Gomez will be a huge benefactor of this. I don't think Havlat will play more than 60 games and Gomez should really get some consideration to play wing on that second line.

On the main board, many have the Devils finishing as low as 7th in the Division. I don't see this doom and gloom that so many others are seeing.

The Devils had a top 5 defense last season in pretty much every defensive category, they just couldn't put the puck in the net consistently. Blame it on coaching, blame it on age, blame it on lacking of talent or blame it on injuries. I think the biggest issue was there too many new faces.

I think things will be much better this season offensively and I really think Gomez will bounce back in a big time.

My predictions:

Call me crazy but I honestly think the Devils will be the surprise team of the year and the dark horse.

tumblr_mv5eqoderP1slibiio1_400.gif

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

I don't think he is much worse than Loktionov. At all, actually. He is a different player than Loktionov. JJ is a better all around player. Yeah, he might not have as much offensive flair, but at least he can help everywhere else. I really think that he'll end up being a perfect third line center for this team for years to come. It sucks that he is only a third line center, especially since he was a first round pick, but that is a very important role. Loktionov was better offensively I'll give you that, but he wasn't good enough at that aspect to be kept on the team. JJ is a better option at where he SHOULD be slotted, but we'll just have to wait and see. He needs to stay healthy and he should stick.

My predictions:

I don't think Gomez will make the team, nor do I think that Zajac will hit 20 goals but I do agree that we will be a dark horse if everything comes together right. Zajac should be an assist machine, which is fine because he'll have some fantastic shooters on his wing. He won't need to be shooting, just has to dish.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
@LiveWell Jagr, Zajac and Camalleri tough line matching? Then what did the Sharks have with Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Burns, Couture, Hertl, even Nieto?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Only briefly. Then you realize you're paying your fourth line more than a lot of teams pay their second, and you have to rethink your team design strategies.

If that's your team, who cares? It doesn't automatically make them replacement-level players, and it doesn't mean it's gonna stay that way forever. Five forward contracts expire next season, and having a surplus of NHL players still doesn't seem like a problem to me. They're not getting banished from the realm of competency or anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad