OT: Golf 2.0

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I will be hitting the range early today to avoid the heat. I am happy to report I bought some "new school" shorts so I look less dinosaurish and a bit more snappy.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I will be hitting the range early today to avoid the heat. I am happy to report I bought some "new school" shorts so I look less dinosaurish and a bit more snappy.

Laundry day. Had to pull the Baggy-Pants-Tiger shorts out of the closet. Not proud, but golfing 9 tonight at Quarry Oaks so I should look the part.

Reactions: John Agar and ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good luck in the wind!

It was tough getting out of the vehicle let alone hitting balls. Great to practice with a very hard left to right wind. warm weather and I was outside so what's not to enjoy.

Reactions: Huffer

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Laundry day. Had to pull the Baggy-Pants-Tiger shorts out of the closet. Not proud, but golfing 9 tonight at Quarry Oaks so I should look the part.

Good luck tonight at Quarry hopefully that wind dies down a touch.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Skipped practicing today... was going to work on earlier weight shift versus the turn-up... aka starting the shift earlier so I can shallow the club easier and reduce pull hooks...

But too much wind would have made it folly...

I chose to work on a project I had sitting on the back-bench in My office... a Maltby KE4 Adjustable Titanium driver head, a TaylorMade Twistflex Titanium Driver shaft and Golf Pride Jumbo grip...

The Clubhead and grip was from Golfworks.ca and the Titanium Driver shaft I pulled today from an old Tour Burner driver I once used, using a torch to release the old epoxy...

The shaft is the same I have on My 3 Wood which I love using, just driver length...

I sanded the old epoxy off the end... cleaned off the residue with some nail polish remover, mixed the epoxy and installed the ferrule and club head with the Shaft Adapter already attached...

The Shaft Adapter is set to straight neutral right now... 10 deg loft and slightly offset neutral at address... I can adjust loft on it + or - 1 deg. ... going to experiment with the settings...

Also have some swing weights 10 gram, 12 gram and 14 gram I can replace the existing 8 gram plug in the head to adjust swing weight... more to experiment with...

Also put the Jumbo grip on...

Looks beautiful...

Bad part... I get to look at it for the next 3 to 5 days as the weather forecast looks nasty... oh well... back to hockey...

Will be fun to experiment with the new Driver when the weather changes back to good...

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
White belt? All the cool kids wear white belts :cool:.

I did not have a white belt today even though I own a reversible (white black) belt. I would be reluctant to wear it with my black Ecco golf shoes. I feel like just adding the Bird Jordan era short shorts has upped my fashion game enough for now to fit in.

Duly noted tip though, I will scope to see if guys are wearing them with all shoes colors.

Reactions: Ducky10 and Jets 31

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I did not have a white belt today even though I own a reversible (white black) belt. I would be reluctant to wear it with my black Ecco golf shoes. I feel like just adding the Bird Jordan era short shorts has upped my fashion game enough for now to fit in.

Duly noted tip though, I will scope to see if guys are wearing them with all shoes colors.

Adding? You mean they went out of style? Nobody told me...:golfnana:

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
White shorts too. :cool: Even though Travis Matthew's stuff is expensive man it's good quality and very comfortable.

Just went to their website and they have some slick looking duds. Then what did I notice but a golfing model dude hitting out of the bunker with White golf “shoes” and a Black belt?? The fashion plot thickens.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Grand Pines Sunday....been many years
Can’t remember what it’s like.
Looking like possibly the only day without rain this weekend
Nice greens, although with no rain not sure how they are at this point. It’s a good challenge but fair.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Hogan and Palmer had swag. Only real men can get away with smoking while playing golf in a cardie. :cool:

upload_2021-5-18_22-53-56.jpeg

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Played it 3 times last year, some nice golf holes and fairly long from the back tee's . Word of advice, don't spray the golf ball, their fairways are wide but if you miss them you are losing the ball. The bush is very thick, don't think dirty. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Play it three times last year. Greens are not like Mars, so keep that in mind. It's a very nice course but I maintain the yardages on 18 are way, way off when coming into the green.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
You’ve seen me golf likely won’t matter :laugh:
Will a 3 wood get me there caddy?
Eventually sir :laugh:

If we're talking second shot on 18, maybe. I've golfed a fair number of times at Grand Pines over the years and 18 isn't that hard but I will say I think they are way off the yardage for your second shot. It's only a par 4, around 400 yards from the whites, 425 from the blues. Easy driver off tee should in theory leave you about 150 from the green, plus/minus depending on your drive. And I've hit that shot a bunch. You have to carry the water in front and the green is very big, angled down to the water so it acts as kind of a back stop. So 150 should for most be an easy 7 iron in, far less for many than that. For me though I hit my 7 probably 160-180 depending on wind, swing, etc. Either way if I hit a good drive that's probably the club I should be hitting into the green. Nope, not a chance. That club invariably leaves it short even if I hit it clean and well. There's some kind of mystic dead zone in the air over the water that just stops the ball in flight.

Eventually worked it out that I need a clean 4 iron (a 5 would be fine as well) or hybrid 4 into the green. Might leave me a little high and putting downhill but it means I'm dry and on in regulation. YMMV. Either way, either the mystical dead zone is real or the yardage markers are off by 30 yards. Or more.

3 wood - 3 wood might just do it for you.

You can always play to the right of the green like a big baby, but you won't be on in regulation.

I'll collect my fee next time we're out.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If we're talking second shot on 18, maybe. I've golfed a fair number of times at Grand Pines over the years and 18 isn't that hard but I will say I think they are way off the yardage for your second shot. It's only a par 4, around 400 yards from the whites, 425 from the blues. Easy driver off tee should in theory leave you about 150 from the green, plus/minus depending on your drive. And I've hit that shot a bunch. You have to carry the water in front and the green is very big, angled down to the water so it acts as kind of a back stop. So 150 should for most be an easy 7 iron in, far less for many than that. For me though I hit my 7 probably 160-180 depending on wind, swing, etc. Either way if I hit a good drive that's probably the club I should be hitting into the green. Nope, not a chance. That club invariably leaves it short even if I hit it clean and well. There's some kind of mystic dead zone in the air over the water that just stops the ball in flight.

Eventually worked it out that I need a clean 4 iron (a 5 would be fine as well) or hybrid 4 into the green. Might leave me a little high and putting downhill but it means I'm dry and on in regulation. YMMV. Either way, either the mystical dead zone is real or the yardage markers are off by 30 yards. Or more.

3 wood - 3 wood might just do it for you.

You can always play to the right of the green like a big baby, but you won't be on in regulation.

I'll collect my fee next time we're out.

I have a 4 hybrid so if I manage a good poke that’s what I’m hitting
I hit my 7 150-160 on good days so appreciate the tip.
I am having a lot of pull hooks which really frustrates me as the rest of the game seems fine.
It almost seems that when I purposely try to hold back on a drive I end up guiding it left.
Best not to quit my job[/QUOTE]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad