OT: Golf 2.0

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
My high irons, especially my wedges, are almost completely shank free. However my driver and woods in general have a shank ratio of about 2 good shots to 1 shank. Solutions???

Reactions: GaryPoppins

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
My high irons, especially my wedges, are almost completely shank free. However my driver and woods in general have a shank ratio of about 2 good shots to 1 shank. Solutions???
Shanking is just and extreme out to in club path with a very closed club face. You need to stop throwing your rear shoulder out and around and casting the club. If you’re on the range, set up with the ball addressed at the toe of the club and picture yourself hitting the inside half of the golf ball in an exaggerated in to out swing, as if you’re pushing it way right (assuming you’re a righty)

The other thing you can do is put something soft, like a towel or head cover just outside of where you tee the ball up. If you’re casting, you’ll hit that object. Try to stay inside and down the line.

Your swing isn’t any different with a driver or 3 wood, just longer and consequently a bit flatter.

Reactions: Jets 31

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Shanking is just and extreme out to in club path with a very closed club face. You need to stop throwing your rear shoulder out and around and casting the club. If you’re on the range, set up with the ball addressed at the toe of the club and picture yourself hitting the inside half of the golf ball in an exaggerated in to out swing, as if you’re pushing it way right (assuming you’re a righty)

The other thing you can do is put something soft, like a towel or head cover just outside of where you tee the ball up. If you’re casting, you’ll hit that object. Try to stay inside and down the line.

Your swing isn’t any different with a driver or 3 wood, just longer and consequently a bit flatter.

Yes you're saying exactly what my lesson guy says. I guess the problem isn't me know what to do, but rather not doing it...

It feels unnatural to swing the way I'm supposed to. This is a problem.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yes you're saying exactly what my lesson guy says. I guess the problem isn't me know what to do, but rather not doing it...

Sometimes shanking with a driver or 3 wood is a by-product of standing too close to the ball as well. Especially if you’re hitting your irons well.
Here’s a simple drill that almost guarantees you’ll drop the club on the right plane. Stand with your feet together and just make easy 3/4 swings focusing on just dropping your arms in behind the ball and making a full finish without losing your balance. If you lose your balance it’s because you’re starting down by throwing your right shoulder out first.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Try focusing on the inside edge of the ball when you swing instead of the middle of the ball.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Without being rude. Practice.

Go to the range, work from your short irons up and duplicate the swing motion and speed. Realistically there shouldn't be much if any difference between your PW swing and your Driver swing. The loft is changing the distance the ball goes. Yes, shorter irons we all tend to get wonky with as we fiddle with them to adjust distance but your full nine iron swing and your four iron swing should be the same.

You've clearly got a nice swing on your shorter irons, so what's different on your longer clubs. Stance, ball placement, posture will change slightly but the swing shouldn't.

Duly noting the best handicap I've ever had is 11 so listening to me might be bad advice. I still struggle with fairway woods/hybrids, but it's because my swing is inconsistent and I know it. Irons? When I keep my head down and eye on the ball it works well. Period. Concentration is my biggest foil.

Squirrel!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Without being rude. Practice.

Go to the range, work from your short irons up and duplicate the swing motion and speed. Realistically there shouldn't be much if any difference between your PW swing and your Driver swing. The loft is changing the distance the ball goes. Yes, shorter irons we all tend to get wonky with as we fiddle with them to adjust distance but your full nine iron swing and your four iron swing should be the same.

You've clearly got a nice swing on your shorter irons, so what's different on your longer clubs. Stance, ball placement, posture will change slightly but the swing shouldn't.

Duly noting the best handicap I've ever had is 11 so listening to me might be bad advice. I still struggle with fairway woods/hybrids, but it's because my swing is inconsistent and I know it. Irons? When I keep my head down and eye on the ball it works well. Period. Concentration is my biggest foil.

Squirrel!

I literally always laugh at the Squirrel comment because it’s so real.

My good friend coined the acronym BSOD Bright Shiny Object Disorder for his penchant for being short circuited by beauty in all forms.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hope you guys are getting out to golf this gorgeous weekend. With having young kids (12 and 9) my weekends are golf free but I own Monday to Friday days in my life so I have lots of time to catch up when the courses are quieter.

Keep you head down, your beer cold, and have fun boys.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Hope you guys are getting out to golf this gorgeous weekend. With having young kids (12 and 9) my weekends are golf free but I own Monday to Friday days in my life so I have lots of time to catch up when the courses are quieter.

Keep you head down, your beer cold, and have fun boys.

With 27 holes on the Simulators and 31 holes on the big course under my belt, I'm declaring the preseason over. Tomorrow I'm getting it on!

Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Ok, after a somewhat successful range session here's what I learned: MY HANDS MUST LEAD AT IMPACT. To do this, I have to make sure I'm rotating, and not casting. I'm naturally a caster, that's what I do. So once I get to the top of my backswing, and my wrists flex, I stop any arm muscle action and use my body to swing my arms through the ball. Don't use my arms to swing at the ball, use my body to swing my arms through the ball. Voila. I dunno. I'll probably forget all of this once I'm out trying to win and be the best. This coming over the top business is seriously hard to fix. But today's epiphany is that my body has to control my arms, instead of my arms controlling the club. Updates to follow.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Figured a little something out with the driver.

I have a tendency to move my body too much, ends up with me trying to use my hands to catch up, or getting way out in front. Really focusing on keeping my head still and rotating instead of moving. The other part is tempo, watch the guys on tour swing, very few of them are out there swinging out of their shoes. A consistent, smooth tempo really helps with making the same swing every time.

Shot 76 yesterday but played the last 4 holes 3 over :(

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Have to keep your head behind the ball. Probably the number one biggest mistake in golf. If your head gets ahead of the ball........you're screwed.
Totally agree, i was having trouble with sand last year and i started looking only at the back of the ball and it seems to have helped. If i go out today and have a very good front 9 and then a crappy back 9 again i'm going to start playing just 9 holes. :laugh:

Reactions: Ducky10

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Figured a little something out with the driver.

I have a tendency to move my body too much, ends up with me trying to use my hands to catch up, or getting way out in front. Really focusing on keeping my head still and rotating instead of moving. The other part is tempo, watch the guys on tour swing, very few of them are out there swinging out of their shoes. A consistent, smooth tempo really helps with making the same swing every time.

Shot 76 yesterday but played the last 4 holes 3 over :(

Even at the low handicap the game is quirky. “Victory is never final” (Winston Churchill).

My wish a while back was just to have that Lt Dan, strapped to the mast in the storm in Forest Gump moment.

Now the simple goal for me is to enjoy my journey and mainly enjoy time with my son as I introduce him to the game. May he love it like both his grandfathers love it.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hit the ball solidly and putted like sh1t.
It's tough to get all of it going together in a round. One day i'm not hitting the ball very good but my chipping and putting saves my ass . The next day it's the other way around but hitting the ball well and putting like crap is the better way for sure, putting can come together way easier than not hitting the ball good.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It's tough to get all of it going together in a round. One day i'm not hitting the ball very good but my chipping and putting saves my ass . The next day it's the other way around but hitting the ball well and putting like crap is the better way for sure, putting can come together way easier than not hitting the ball good.

Punching the greens before the grass is growing and not brushing in enough sand isn't helping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->