OT: Golf 2.0

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If you want to take your kid out...3:12pm tomorrow looks like a winner. Unfortunately 2:56 is booked up.

I am just back to golf so I am range locked in May. My kid hasn’t really hit before so I will take him to the range to start and then some par 3 type course somewhere. The junior membership sounds great though.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Did he meet kids out there to play with it does he have buddies at the course. That is a great price.
He has a couple of buddies who also play there but he has met a few others since being a member. They have a pretty cool Ryder Cup style tourney every year with youth players, where they team them up as opposed to the kids choosing their own team. It’s a great mixer and he stills plays with a couple of the guys he met from that tourney.

Reactions: John Agar and ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He has a couple of buddies who also play there but he has also met a few others since being a member. They have a pretty cool Ryder Cup style tourney every year with youth players, where they team them up as opposed to the kids choosing their own team. It’s a great mixer and he stills plays with a couple of the guys he met from that tourney.

That is really cool. I look forward to getting my sons feet wet with lessons and the range and then we’ll see how he likes it.

Reactions: Ducky10

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
2 spots available with Helle and his guest at 3:12 :laugh:.

I should add my name to the tee sheet :naughty:.

That would be funny to Join Helle. The good thing is no matter how bad I got with my game under repair pumping shots OB I would just keep repeating “I like my game today” (in a defiant way).

Last edited:

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
He has a couple of buddies who also play there but he has met a few others since being a member. They have a pretty cool Ryder Cup style tourney every year with youth players, where they team them up as opposed to the kids choosing their own team. It’s a great mixer and he stills plays with a couple of the guys he met from that tourney.

The kids meeting kids at golf is pretty cool.
My oldest played a fair bit of competive junior golf starting at the age of 14/15. Played in the Manitoba Junior 4 times, High School golf and what they used to call the MJT Tour (?) He was a pretty shy kid and would get grouped with kids from all over the province, my wife and I really liked that side of things.

He has cultivated and maintained a fair number of friends from those golf relationships. He’s 27, plays at Niakwa and regularly plays and hangs out with about 1/2 a dozen of the guys from the junior golf days. Pretty cool I think.

PS: Wish I could say he got his golf skills from me. Sadly not!

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Did he meet kids out there to play with it does he have buddies at the course. That is a great price.

I pretty much literally grew up at the Canoe Club. I lived down the street and could walk there in a minute or so. All inclusive junior membership was $50 (1970s) and didn't require parents to be a member. Greatest money my parents ever spent, in their opinion and mine. Obviously a little different from Southwood in that the Canoe Club had racquet sports and a pool as well (lots of other things to do also) in addition to the small golf course. But I grew up there. I can't speak highly enough of how much of a privilege it was to walk down the street and have that at your disposal. It helped open up the world in so many ways as I got to meet a ton of people outside the junior high group I'd gone to school with my entire life. I did four years working the racquet pro-shop and spent two years doing golf course/tennis court maintenance. Pretty sure I topped out at $3/hour.

We'd do tennis camp in the morning and swim in the afternoon. I remember we'd go for lunch (grilled cheese and bacon with fries and gravy - heart smart meal for $1.50) and the local St. Vital teachers and superintendents would be there eating lunch between their nines. We used to joke about them being old, but that was their thing - play nine, come in for lunch and beers, go back out and play nine, come back for beers. Now I want that life in retirement. Used to drive the teachers nuts by shooting in the high thirties at the time. Young, athletic kid with nothing in the brain to worry about, golf was easy. I never even really liked golf at the time, but when your buddies went, you went too. I played using my mom's clubs for the first while, then switched to my dad's when I got taller. Both sets were right handed. I play as a lefty now (as I did in hockey then).

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I pretty much literally grew up at the Canoe Club. I lived down the street and could walk there in a minute or so. All inclusive junior membership was $50 (1970s) and didn't require parents to be a member. Greatest money my parents ever spent, in their opinion and mine. Obviously a little different from Southwood in that the Canoe Club had racquet sports and a pool as well (lots of other things to do also) in addition to the small golf course. But I grew up there. I can't speak highly enough of how much of a privilege it was to walk down the street and have that at your disposal. It helped open up the world in so many ways as I got to meet a ton of people outside the junior high group I'd gone to school with my entire life. I did four years working the racquet pro-shop and spent two years doing golf course/tennis court maintenance. Pretty sure I topped out at $3/hour.

We'd do tennis camp in the morning and swim in the afternoon. I remember we'd go for lunch (grilled cheese and bacon with fries and gravy - heart smart meal for $1.50) and the local St. Vital teachers and superintendents would be there eating lunch between their nines. We used to joke about them being old, but that was their thing - play nine, come in for lunch and beers, go back out and play nine, come back for beers. Now I want that life in retirement. Used to drive the teachers nuts by shooting in the high thirties at the time. Young, athletic kid with nothing in the brain to worry about, golf was easy. I never even really liked golf at the time, but when your buddies went, you went too. I played using my mom's clubs for the first while, then switched to my dad's when I got taller. Both sets were right handed. I play as a lefty now (as I did in hockey then).
My Brother-in-law was a member at Canoe Club for a very long time, it's where i started playing golf, with his group of about 20 guys. Swam in the pool a few times as well.

Reactions: GNP and buggs

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What a beauty morning for golf today, too bad i didn't golf, it was some form of golf i guess. :laugh: My chipping and putting, just awful. Hit the ball well though so i got that going for me. :confused:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea what a great investment for a kid that lives so close. Love the heart smart meals. Those were simpler times.

Reactions: Jets 31

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I was out at Oakwood on Tuesday. Best greens for this time of the year (anytime of the year, actually) that I've played on. I realize that it was a mild winter but they are amazing (kudos to the Oakwood superintendent and greens crew. It's a bit of a drive (a little past Steinbach but it's worth the trip) but it's a good rate ($36 for old farts).

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yep, he has a Jr membership. Junior memberships are a steal at Southwood, 15 and under $500 and $600 after that. Only restrictions are weekends and holidays before 11:00. I can drop him off and he can spend the whole day there lol.

Wow...

Wish I was under 15 again...

You could drop Me off there and I would have spent the whole day...

My Dad actually did that for Me when I was younger, but at Blumberg... $20 for food and balls...

When the balls ran out.. chip and putt...

And some coin for the pay phone... to call for a ride home...

I would walk occasionally with My pull cart all the way down Charleswood Road... around the perimeter over the bridge...

Then walk all the way up to Blumberg...

I was nuts...

Still am...

:laugh:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Played a beautiful par 3 course in Vancouver today. Played 2 balls the course was empty. One of my rounds was 1 over par the other 4 over par. Super good! My pitching wedge is money from 100 yards. Main weakness is putting as it always has been. But only a couple of 3 putts today. Smiles

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
So Gil I assume you are a member at Southwood as well. How’s your game?
Yes. Probably average around 87 out there. Course is in pretty rough shape at the moment...need to get the grass growing. Should come around over the next couple of weeks.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
One of the great things about Southwood is the variety of challenges the course provides by having 5 sets of tee boxes and also using combinations of those tee boxes, giving them a rating and a slope and listing them on the scorecard. All told, there are 9 ways to play the course off the tees. It’s setup for pretty much anyone.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
One of the great things about Southwood is the variety of challenges the course provides by having 5 sets of tee boxes and also using combinations of those tee boxes, giving them a rating and a slope and listing them on the scorecard. All told, there are 9 ways to play the course off the tees. It’s setup for pretty much anyone.
With the wind we get here the hurry up tee's are a challenge at Southwood . :laugh:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Oh boy, did not play well yesterday and the guys we were playing sandbagged the hell out of us lol. They were net 8 under through 11 :oops::eek:.

I was giving one of them 24 shots and the other 19, had a sub with the same handicap as me. We had no chance, worst I've ever lost. The guy I gave 24 shots to was putting for net 1 on a par 4 lol. Sometimes handicapping in golf is dumb af.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad