OT: Golf 2.0

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
So, that’s probably not what you’re thinking then.....

Pretty sure it was there over 15 years ago, probably not there anymore.

Golfed there with three buddies back then.

Sadly, one of them passed away the following year due to pancreatic cancer. Didn't do much more golfing after that ......

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Good luck, if they don’t help you out with that, it would effect whether I did business with Cobra or that retailer. Who was the retailer btw?
RockBottomGolf.com. They actually responded fairly quickly (yesterday morning), but apparently Cobra has requested them that all warranty/repair questions be referred to them directly via their website, so there's nothing they can do in this case. Still waiting to hear back from Cobra. I'll probably head out without a driver this weekend.

Managed to fire a 76 in the hurricane yesterday...still lost our match though lol.
I really need to work on getting a lower ball flight. As soon as we start hitting 20+ mph wind, I'm completely lost.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Sorry to hear that man.

No worries, he was a good guy and good for a few laughs at the 19th hole afterwards. So, to keep the cheap laughs flowing that is on this thread , I will tell a story .....

My 10 year old son and I played a Par 3 9-hole course in St Malo about 12 years ago. Hole lengths varied from 20 yards to about 100 yards. On the last hole (about 100 yards), I hit a wedge to within 2 feet.

I missed the birdie putt (usually I pretty good at putting). The par putt literally went around the lip and stayed out, drain the 3 rd putt .... fuming .......

My son was having a good laugh at my expense and that was probably the last time I went golfing ....... I laugh about it now and he still teases me about it every now and then ...... :laugh:

I plan and like to start again after my years on the mini golf tour .... :laugh:

Maybe he will be game for a game ....

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
You sure you’re not thinking Kingswood? They have one of the top ranked dumbest holes in golf on the front nine, which happens to have a birdhouse up on a tree, that is supposed to be of some help o_O.

Well I've golfed Kingswood and I know that hole very well. Seldom enjoy it. Part of the reason is that the ground close to the river is always in such terrible shape that your second shot is usually off concrete or the equivalent that they call fairway there. You could play the drive shorter to land on something approximating grass but then the "look" at the green is often way worse. I don't mind the course at all but it almost always seems so hard and dry out there.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well I've golfed Kingswood and I know that hole very well. Seldom enjoy it. Part of the reason is that the ground close to the river is always in such terrible shape that your second shot is usually off concrete or the equivalent that they call fairway there. You could play the drive shorter to land on something approximating grass but then the "look" at the green is often way worse. I don't mind the course at all but it almost always seems so hard and dry out there.
Which is odd considering it’s located along the Lasalle river. Irrigation should never have been a problem there.

Reactions: Jets 31

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

That hole also has a raised green that slopes off all around it. And the grass on the green and around it are always in pretty poor shape. It's a tough green to stick.

Reactions: Jets 31 and buggs

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Gotta use those body muscles to swing the club. I always get back to my bad habits eventually. Coming over the top and slicing or pushing the ball as a result. If I use my abs and legs to swing everything is dandy. But hit a few good shots and I try to swing harder. Use the arms. Although I almost got a hole in one from a totally shanked thin hit. That's always cool.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Got to Southwood for my first practice session today. Really enjoyed going live. Only used my 6 iron and was copying what I was doing in lessons.

Glad I got in my first session and now I know the drill. Very nice practice facility.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Bought a Gold Flex a couple years back, best money spent. My swing is the same every time, guys calling me the Big Easy now lol. I don't care, no more pulls or slices now unless I imbibe too much then all bets are off.

Reactions: buggs

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
4th or 5th, I think there is a bird house or a post or something, big dog leg right.
5 is the par 5 dog leg right, massive tree right in the middle of the fairway. If you pin a fade (for a righty), to the right side of that tree, you probably have 3 iron to the green. It’s a stupid hole because you either hit that shot or you’re not hitting driver off the tee because it’s likely to roll through the fairway at the opposite side of the dogleg.

I hate par 5’s that take the driver out your hand. That should never happen.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
86 today and missed a tonne of putts . Beauty day though with not alot of wind .

What do you mean 86 ? - I was expecting at least 7 strokes off your average -- "every game" with your new Titleist driver. :nod: We need you to be in the mid, to high 70's every game, especially when the rest of the clubs come in -- no excuses.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Got to Southwood for my first practice session today. Really enjoyed going live. Only used my 6 iron and was copying what I was doing in lessons.

Glad I got in my first session and now I know the drill. Very nice practice facility.

Break it down...

Nice...

Look for q guy with a Mizuno bag...

A snap back Cap...

A red handled bowe'd club...

God help you from there...

:laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31 and buggs

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It's really not that bad of a drive up to Winnipeg when it's not the dead of winter and -50 with the wind chill?. How are the golf courses up there?

Courses are first and foremost, absolutely dirt cheap. Cheapest and by cheapest I mean ridiculously low priced compared to literally everywhere else in the country, probably continent, possibly the world. It's frickin' goofy, really.

That said, tons of great courses. Winnipeg in my opinion doesn't have the best (private courses notwithstanding, they won't let me in), I prefer country courses. But if you come up I'll take you to a pair I love. That doesn't necessarily narrow it down, but off the top of my head here are pairs we could play in a day doing 36. Long day, but damn man, we have really long days. Nothing at all like winter, when you were up here last. Would be completely awesome.

Pairs:
Morden - Carman - Morden is 1.5 hours away, Carman half hour drive on the way back.
Bridges - Elm Creek - Elm Creek under an hour, Bridges 15 minutes.
Granite Hills - Pinawa - Hour or so from my place. Arguably two of the most beautiful courses in the province. We could sub in Falcon Lake in place of one of those, or just do 72 holes in a day.
Mars Sandhills - Grand Pines - hope like hell we get some rain or they'll be dry, but they play very differently. Hour plus to Grand Pines, Mars on the way back.
Minnedosa - Neepawa - longer drive, 2 hours to Minnedosa, Neepawa on the way home.
Brandon (Wheat City, I think this is the old muni course out there which is surprisingly nice) - Shilo. Again, 2 hour drive, but worth it.
Gilbert Plains - Clear Lake - stupid long drive, nearly four hours to Gilbert, Clear Lake on return but we'd get back at midnight. Or get a hotel, play Minnedosa Neepawa and do 96 over two days.
Rossmere - St. Boniface. Within City limits, probably 15 minutes drive between the two.

All of the above are great. Members here at St. B, Southwood and possibly more, but nobody invites me to those. :naughty: I don't know why, ask @Eyeseeing I'm a frickin' hoot to golf with.

Expensive would be $70 with cart, in Canadian Pesos which is like $0.25 USD.

Come up, I'll organize an HFJets day. :thumbu:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Gotta use those body muscles to swing the club. I always get back to my bad habits eventually. Coming over the top and slicing or pushing the ball as a result. If I use my abs and legs to swing everything is dandy. But hit a few good shots and I try to swing harder. Use the arms. Although I almost got a hole in one from a totally shanked thin hit. That's always cool.

What are these abs you speak of? Is that under the Covid layer? o_O:(

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

What do you mean 86 ? - I was expecting at least 7 strokes off your average -- "every game" with your new Titleist driver. :nod: We need you to be in the mid, to high 70's every game, especially when the rest of the clubs come in -- no excuses.
A great game for me is breaking 80 , anything low 80's and i'm a very happy Dude. :nod:

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad