OT: Golf 2.0

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Range day at Southwood yesterday, a rare non windy day. Practice facility is still in very early season form, pretty much bare ground tight lies. Hit it well but spent most of my time hitting driver and then pitching and chipping. Time to retire my old Cleveland 60 degree, going to finally match the 60 with my 52 and 56 degree Vokey’s.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I have this phenomenon now where one day I'm dynamite at the range and the next I'm shanking 2 out of 3 shots. I agree it's an improvement over shanking everything but holy moly it's frustrating when you think you figure something out but really you didn't.
I like to call this...golf :laugh:.

Played first round of Mundie Putter...at Assiniboine lol, what a dump. We managed to win fairly easily at least, I think that round was the only time I need to play there for a long time.

Reactions: buggs and Jets 31

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have this phenomenon now where one day I'm dynamite at the range and the next I'm shanking 2 out of 3 shots. I agree it's an improvement over shanking everything but holy moly it's frustrating when you think you figure something out but really you didn't.

I'd say you have figured some things out...

You just need to relax and enjoy the rounds you play...

I hit some bad shots because of tension, not used to a golf course... then beautiful shots one after the other... the other day...

Then spastic again...

It's what's between the ears and committing to the shot at hand each time...

Easier said than done, but it will come for longer stretches...

Here's a Vid' from Gary Player... his early words are so true...

PS** click the Watch of YouTube link in Window... owner blocking

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Took a little drive out to Netley Creek today with a buddy. Course was in pretty good shape all things considered (tee boxes were a mess though). Shot a good round but putts were hard to come by. Decided this year I’m going to re-commit to a fade, and did anything but. Muscle memory can be a bitch sometimes!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Range day at Southwood yesterday, a rare non windy day. Practice facility is still in very early season form, pretty much bare ground tight lies. Hit it well but spent most of my time hitting driver and then pitching and chipping. Time to retire my old Cleveland 60 degree, going to finally match the 60 with my 52 and 56 degree Vokey’s.

What time were you out there? I was there yesterday then today again. I was erratic yesterday but felt good today. The range was busy on this glorious warm day.

Reactions: John Agar

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
What time were you out there? I was there yesterday then today again. I was erratic yesterday but felt good today. The range was busy on this glorious warm day.
I was there from about 1:00 ish to about 2:30 or so. I wouldn’t take too much from your iron play off the ground with the way the range is at the moment. Lies are pretty tight and you really have to be picking it pretty well. I’m a beaver pelt divot guy, it’s an adjustment for sure. A week or so will make a big difference once they open the back portion of the tee area and are able to rotate.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was there from about 1:00 ish to about 2:30 or so. I wouldn’t take too much from your iron play off the ground with the way the range is at the moment. Lies are pretty tight and you really have to be picking it pretty well. I’m a beaver pelt divot guy, it’s an adjustment for sure. A week or so will make a big difference once they open the back portion of the tee area and are able to rotate.

I was there from 12:00 1:15 yesterday.

I am kind of embracing hitting off the ground. It’s forcing me to “try” to make cleaner contact. Today was fun, there was a bit of a breeze into the face but just so warm. I was mostly hitting well by my standards today. Lots of really good golfers on the range at Southwood.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Finally got my new sticks today:hyper:played pretty decent with them except my putter decided it didn't want to cooperate. :mad: Still shot 86 though with 6 3 putts , thanks for coming out. :laugh:

That's an inspired round of ball striking there '31...

18 strokes alone on 3 putts... ? :eek:

Say if you had reduced that to say to one 3 putt... that is an 81...

Nice... :clap:

Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I was there from 12:00 1:15 yesterday.

I am kind of embracing hitting off the ground. It’s forcing me to “try” to make cleaner contact. Today was fun, there was a bit of a breeze into the face but just so warm. I was mostly hitting well by my standards today. Lots of really good golfers on the range at Southwood.
Hitting off the ground is fine but a bit of grass makes things a bit more visually confident when pinching in behind that ball. You definitely have to make clean contact the way it is right now, so ya, it’s good practice. Maybe I’ll see you out there sometime, I’ll have a blue Taylormade bag with the Caddyshack gopher head cover. :thumbu:

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hitting off the ground is fine but a bit of grass makes things a bit more visually confident when pinching in behind that ball. You definitely have to make clean contact the way it is right now, so ya, it’s good practice. Maybe I’ll see you out there sometime, I’ll have a blue Taylormade bag with the Caddyshack gopher head cover. :thumbu:

Got it committed to memory.

My bag is Titleist black and silver/Grey with a cobra yellow and black bumblebee coloured driver head cover.

Reactions: Ducky10

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

I was likely there around the same time. Teed off around 2:45pm, I think. Nice 3-hour round.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
3 days in a row at the range. Today I worked on it for an hour in the breeze and loved the quite time. I leave my cell phone in the car and go electronics free. So pumped that its 10 minutes door to door from my office.

Brought out the driver at one point mid session and laid out 5 balls and that was all I was going to hit. I hit the first one dead strait and literally put the driver back in my bag and even put a head cover on it @buggs :naughty:

Today I was kind of mostly working between 75- 120 yards on accuracy and contact (mixed results). Well that's not true I was mostly working on just loving being outside doing something peaceful during Covid. Last time I golfed guys didn't use to wear the new Michael Jordan Larry Bird 80's form fitting shorts. I was looking pretty pretty old school with my knee length roomy shorts. I am in no rush to look the part.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I was out there again today as well. Took my son, it was his first time out this year. Beautiful day, even with the wind. Playing Friday, Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Hope the body holds up o_O.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hit the ball well again today but the putter let me down again, greens are very fast and they are hand watering them to boot . Still i'm happy with how i'm hitting the ball and won 11 bucks for closes to the hole . Need the money to help pay off the clubs, i thanked all the guys but they didn't seem too happy. :laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was out there again today as well. Took my son, it was his first time out this year. Beautiful day, even with the wind. Playing Friday, Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Hope the body holds up o_O.

How old is your son?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
15, this is 3rd season playing. He loves it.

very cool. My son is 12 and I am introducing him to the sport this year. Does your son have a junior membership or how does it work?

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
very cool. My son is 12 and I am introducing him to the sport this year. Does your son have a junior membership or how does it work?
Yep, he has a Jr membership. Junior memberships are a steal at Southwood, 15 and under $500 and $600 after that. Only restrictions are weekends and holidays before 11:00. I can drop him off and he can spend the whole day there lol.

Reactions: John Agar and ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yep, he has a Jr membership. Junior memberships are a steal at Southwood, 15 and under $500 and $600 after that. Only restrictions are weekends and holidays before 11:00. I can drop him off and he can spend the whole day there lol.

Did he meet kids out there to play with it does he have buddies at the course. That is a great price.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad