Recalled/Assigned: Goldobin Reassigned to Utica

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Goldoblin is a hard read...when the puck is on his stick his skill level is world class. But when we dont have the puck, we are basically playing 4v5. His play away from the puck is too poor to give him enough possession to work any magic.

Dont want to give up on him yet, so giving him some bigger minutes and morr responsibility while he can still be sent down risk free makes sense. Should be a nice boost for Utica as well, which is a bonus.

Reactions: Nomobo and sting101

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Granlund was coming off a 20+ goal pace is younger and can play centre if he has to. Hansen wouldve been taken by Vegas, Granlunds step back this year wasnt expected

flamesftw

Jan 12, 2018
Would Nucks fans be interested in trading Goldobin for something like Klimchuk/Poirier/Shinkaruk + a mid pick? Klimchuk looks decent but hasn't got an NHL loom and the other two could benefit from a change

Reactions: vancityluongo

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Would Nucks fans be interested in trading Goldobin for something like Klimchuk/Poirier/Shinkaruk + a mid pick? Klimchuk looks decent but hasn't got an NHL loom and the other two could benefit from a change
How about Kylington

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hes not getting a real chance it should be Eriksson sent down :shakehead

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He has already played more NHL games this season than any other season in his career. He will probably see some more time before the end of the season. He is on career high paces in the AHL (sorta in the NHL too) this year.
I think a little more patience will be helpful.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
All that ink which was spilled over the Hansen trade to San Jose, and turning into one of those meh deals for both teams. There's not a chance in the world the Sharks are re-signing Hansen as a UFA, and Goldobin looks closer to the KHL than regular duty in the Canucks top-9 forward group. And the Sharks fourth-rounder was flipped to Chicago for a couple of extra late-round picks, who are probably long=shots to ever don a Canucks jersey. Hopefully the other deadline deal for Dahlen works out better.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Don't know why posters are saying Goldy didn't get a fair chance..?.The Canucks roster is decimated,and he still could not make himself indispensable....His decision making without the puck needs work,and he wasn't putting up points...The return of Sven (and Sutter) made him the odd man out.

Reactions: Numba9

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Don't know why posters are saying Goldy didn't get a fair chance..?.The Canucks roster is decimated,and he still could not make himself indispensable....His decision making without the puck needs work,and he wasn't putting up points...The return of Sven (and Sutter) made him the odd man out.

This. He is useless without the puck and even though he has indeed been given a chance at the NHL he can neither score enough goals to overcome his defensive shortcomings nor show any sort of commitment to team defense. I say let him bolt back to the KHL and chalk this one up to experience.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I think it would have to be a D prospect—we're ok for small, soft, offensively minded wingers right now.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Average icetime of 12 minutes. What an opportunity!

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If the Canucks move out some bodies...like Vanek....he might be back in a few weeks after more seasoning

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Nothing like giving "seasoning" to a player who has already played 136 AHL games. This management knows development, guys.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Nothing like giving "seasoning" to a player who has already played 136 AHL games. This management knows development, guys.

So you've been happy with Goldoblin's play away from the puck? You feel his defensive effort has earned him more ice time? The way he seized his opportunity playing with the Sedins and getting PP time says to you he should be spoon fed minutes and opportunity from here on out?

Reports from Utica were that his 2 way play was improving. He looked pretty solid when he was first called up, but his effort without the puck tailed off. Getting him big minutes and key situations is whats best for Goldie right now imo.

Or maybe youre right. If only Green had given Goldoblin 20+ minutes a night, he surely would have morphed into Datsyuk 2.0 by now.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He's still having trouble translating his AHL success into NHL success..I hope he can do it,but his deficiencies in his all round game are there for all to see on the ice (just like they were in the pre season)....If he's not producing,he's not doing much of anything.

I'm sure he'll be back up..

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Absolutely. Would take any prospect + a 2nd in a heartbeat, and Shinkaruk + a 3rd would at least give Utica a good boost. Goldobin is going to be waiver eligible soon and doesn't seem to have an inside track at being on this roster full time.

Too bad we only acquire this sort of player instead of re-couping assets for them.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Goldobin certainly isn't the biggest problem defensively

Virtanen had a good stretch of play but at this point I think Goldobin has shown more

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
To be honest of late I don’t believe either Virtanen or Goldobin have been showing anything. Goldobin has some nice puck skills but his effort is dreadfully inconsistent. Virtanen after looking like he was com8ng around has slipped into something similar...but he appears to be getting the benefit of the doubt. Likely because he started at the 10 minutes a night and with the effort earned more time and that benefit of the doubt. Goldobin didn’t do the earning.

All that said he certainly wasn’t the only one not earning time and given the place,ent of the team I’d play the 22 year old over the inconsistent 30 somethings (or late 20s)

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Wotherspoon and a mid rounder maybe?

I have a tough time understanding why we would do something like this.

The boy is a very talented player with time to figure it out. Wotherspoon is what, 24? We need a similar ability return as a defensemen (Preferred but not definitely), and a player who is still waiver exempt while he develops.

Look at your prospects and we are talking about players like (not to say the value is on, but why would we trade him for nothing of value and potential, i.e. Wotherspoon):

Anderson, Kylington Valimaki, (maybe Fox+), or Dube, Lindstrom, etc. Of course some of them have more value, and I believe some less.

Otherwise, why give up a talent like this without having some potential upside coming back. Makes no sense. Especially to Calgary....

Reactions: Deeds26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad