Recalled/Assigned: Goldobin Reassigned to Utica

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Is the bolded referring to Goldobin or Shinkaruk? Like I said, similar prospects, but a huge difference in terms of what we gave up vs. what we acquired.

Gagner was an unnecessary signing, but again, Benning loaded up on vets to push for the playoffs.
Haha, both. I also didn't like the Shinkaruk trade very much because you are giving up a greater possibility for something too safe. Especially when something safe is so easy to find in FA compared to the potential Shinkaruk was showing with Green at the time (and at where we were at the time, we obviously should have been rebuilding). It also applies to Goldobin, I think it was a mistake for San Jose to move a player like that, but they had more luxury in doing so because they had other players like Lebanc and Meier who were playing as good or better. When we moved Shinkaruk we didn't have anyone playing as good or better

And they shouldn't have been trying to push for the playoffs

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Haha, both. I also didn't like the Shinkaruk trade very much because you are giving up a greater possibility for something too safe. Especially when something safe is so easy to find in FA compared to the potential Shinkaruk was showing with Green at the time (and at where we were at the time, we obviously should have been rebuilding). It also applies to Goldobin, I think it was a mistake for San Jose to move a player like that, but they had more luxury in doing so because they had other players like Lebanc and Meier who were playing as good or better. When we moved Shinkaruk we didn't have anyone playing as good or better

Fair points, and it's nice to see some consistency on here. Very refreshing.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Disagree. Trading Hansen was the right move. Trading him for a prospect like Goldobin was not. Players who are unable to crack their original NHL team by their D+3 are poor bets, as we’ve seen so many times already. Just because Baertschi has ‘sort of’ worked out doesn’t mean it’s a good strategy to pursue. Moving Hansen for draft picks or a younger prospect who isn’t as close to capping out would have been a better decision.

Fair enough when you get that specific. I meant it was about time the Canucks trade an older declining asset for a prospect and pick, which they did.

Where we are now are now, I would still rather see what becomes of the 22 year old with more skill, than the declining 31 year old who has played dismally this year.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I don't disagree with this I think some of us were just frustrated to see more of the same from this front office.

When we traded Burrows for Dahlen, that was pretty much the first "pure futures" trade we had made in 4 years since Schneider for Horvat. It represented for some a welcomed change in direction and a new committment to "rebuilding."

But it instead appears to be more of a one-off, as it was followed up by yet another trade for an age-gap player and an off-season frenzy of signing veterans instead of looking to stock up on prospects.

Goldobin acquired under a different context would likely elicit a different reaction.

He wasn't that much of an age gap player. He was first round pick, aged 21, who had a very good first 2 seasons in the AHL and was trying to crack a much deeper team than Vancouver. This was not a Clendening or Vey trade.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Fair enough when you get that specific. I meant it was about time the Canucks trade an older declining asset for a prospect and pick, which they did.

Where we are now are now, I would still rather see what becomes of the 22 year old with more skill, than the declining 31 year old who has played dismally this year.

Ya, I’m glad they moved Hansen in principle. Just wasn’t crazy about the target.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Or Benning’s reasoning for moving Hansen. Had nothing to do with any sort of youth movement. He was just going to expose him in the expansion draft. Because ya know, can’t risk losing Granlund or that awful Sutter contract.

As poor as Granlund has played lately, he's still outperforming Hansen.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
First Trammer then Burmur and now Goldy. Anyone noticing a trend with these three guys? Maybe is time to stop getting these type a guys...

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

It was something created by media and threads like this that Hunter had greater upside than Granlund it never was supported by stats or even by tool set. Hunter was a great 16 year old player who through injury and/or other factors never developed except for a short period in his second ahl season. Grandlund had multiple moments of progression after his draft, including scoring at a higher level in ahl than Shinkaruk.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I think there is a major difference between a 21 year old prospect and a 23 year old prospect. I think a lot of young players don't crack the league until 20 or 21. I don't think Vey and Goldobin are particularly comparable.
He was a 1st round pick who was producing well where he was playing and was the prospect of a buyer team at the deadline.
I think the trade was fine, and even if it was a bad trade, it wasn't spectacularly so. It's a meh trade.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I would rather do higher risk/reward trades like the goldobin one than doing the trades for middling tweeners like granlund. Maybe you try 3-4 types of those Hansen for goldobin trades and one sticks and you get a 30 goal scorer. Then it's all worth it

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
He never said this and he has never played in the KHL before. The headline is complete horse****.

He didn't say he was considering the KHL. His answer to whether he'd thought about it yet was "I can’t exclude this option ... But no team called me yet."

The fact that he added the part about no team calling him yet seems telling to me. Why would he even think about a team from the KHL not calling him when there is more than a full season left on his NHL contract if it wasn't something he'd thought about?

The headline also wasn't a statement. It ended with a question mark. While it sensationalizes one line from the interview, it doesn't appear inaccurate to ask the question given the quote. It also doesn't sem particularly newsworthy, given that of course any Russian kid who hasn't made the NHL by the time Goldobin's contract would expire at the end of next season is going to consider the option of playing in the KHL. As you indicate, the use of the word "return" wasn't accurate since he's never played in the KHL.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
He didn't way he was considering the KHL. His answer to whether he'd thought about it yet was "I can’t exclude this option ... But no team called me yet."

The fact that he added the part about no team calling him yet seems telling to me. Why would he even think about a team from the KHL not calling him when there is more than a full season left on his NHL contract if it wasn't something he'd thought about?

The headline also wasn't a statement. It ended with a question mark. While it sensationalizes one line from the interview, it doesn't appear inaccurate to ask the question given the quote. It also doesn't sem particularly newsworthy, given that of course any Russian kid who hasn't made the NHL by the time Goldobin's contract would expire at the end of next season is going to consider the option of playing in the KHL. As you indicate, the use of the word "return" wasn't accurate since he's never played in the KHL.

Didn't Goldobin's agent say he was happy to keep playing in the AHL when we called him up? He just seems like a guy who is happy to be playing hockey.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
He didn't way he was considering the KHL. His answer to whether he'd thought about it yet was "I can’t exclude this option ... But no team called me yet."

I think you may be reading too much into something that was translated into English from Russian. I think he was just saying he would never rule out going to the KHL, but that it isn't something that has come up.

Ah, come on. Tacking a question mark onto the end to pretend it's a question is the worst excuse for sensationalism. The headline was clickbait, period.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Goldobin is the poster child of how not to develop players.

Give the kid a chance at the NHL and live with his mistakes!

If we don't get some instant gratification with our prized prospects then kiss them goodbye.

Player development should be the #1 priority of this organization but it's simply not happening.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It was something created by media and threads like this that Hunter had greater upside than Granlund it never was supported by stats or even by tool set. Hunter was a great 16 year old player who through injury and/or other factors never developed except for a short period in his second ahl season. Grandlund had multiple moments of progression after his draft, including scoring at a higher level in ahl than Shinkaruk.

This is 100% wrong. Granlund actually regressed in the AHL. He came in at .88 PPG, ended his last season at .833 PPG had a middle season of .8 PPG. if anything that is regression. He got actual NHL time, something Hunter was never allowed to get here. This isn't to say Hunter could play at the NHL level, but after a terrible first AHL season after coming off a serious hip injury, then putting up the same type of numbers with much less help in the AHL was probably pointing at Hunter having more upside. Hunter progressed at a better rate PRE TRADE.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He's in a eerily similar situation to Baertschi in Calgary during the season he got traded, career-wise at least. Sven had that great first stint in the NHL, but outside of that it's pretty similar. Similar knocks on Sven back then, doesn't play defense , battle for pucks, etc.

I'm hoping he gets a real shot after a Vanek trade to either sink or swim, but I'm wondering if Green will be willing to do that.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I think the lack of center talent is a huge problem in this organization when it comes to developing Goldobin or future wingers (Dahlen, Lind, etc). There is only 2 wing spots left next to Horvat/Sedins (Boeser is a lock) and whoever doesn't play with them gets stuck next to blackholes like Sutter and Dowd. We badly need more distributors so that when we call up a winger from Utica they aren't put in a position to fail. You can't stick guys like Goldobin with plugs and expect them to produce.

When Hank retires the situation will only get worse unless Elias can stick at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->