Recalled/Assigned: Goldobin Reassigned to Utica

flamesftw

Jan 12, 2018
I feel like Wotherspoon would be the very "Canuck" move: former Portland Winterhawk, Age Gap (24), etc. Obviously would prefer Kylington or Anderson.

I believe Weisbrod was with the Flames when they picked him too

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Finding out what they have in Goldobin should be one of the top goals for the team in these final 40 games. He needs to be getting regular minutes in the top 9 with other skilled players and locked onto the PP2. You cannot go into another off-season not knowing anything about this player.

JanBulis

Mar 5, 2014
At least the organization tried the whole Russian thing again... didn't realize Larionov was his agent

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He is borderline prospect. This is last ahl year without waivers. He is in same position as Boucher except instead of bouncing around he can go to khl. Hope he progresses more to be viable top 9 player. If not it was a gamble that did not work out.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Goldobin is worth a shot and was the right kind of trade for this team to be making. 31 year old Hansen is a regular scratch with 0 goals and 4 assists on the season.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Goldobin is worth a shot and was the right kind of trade for this team to be making. 31 year old Hansen is a regular scratch with 0 goals and 4 assists on the season.

Trading for a twenty one year old prospects that can't crack their own teams (despite other younger players being able to do so) isn't really a recipe for success and is ironically something this management team has been burned on many times.

Also, you need to evaluate Hansen's value at the time of the trade. Its absurd to act like his value at the time of the trade was retroactively reduced because of this year's play.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Disagree. Trading Hansen was the right move. Trading him for a prospect like Goldobin was not. Players who are unable to crack their original NHL team by their D+3 are poor bets, as we’ve seen so many times already. Just because Baertschi has ‘sort of’ worked out doesn’t mean it’s a good strategy to pursue. Moving Hansen for draft picks or a younger prospect who isn’t as close to capping out would have been a better decision.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Trading for a twenty one year old prospects that can't crack their own teams (despite other younger players being able to do so) isn't really a recipe for success and is ironically something this management team has been burned on many times.

Also, you need to evaluate Hansen's value at the time of the trade. Its absurd to act like his value at the time of the trade was retroactively reduced because of this year's play.

Yep.

This management has been allergic to trading for prospects and picks because they are impatient and want players closer to being ready. It is more of the same "age gap" nonsense.

Weirdly enough, if we had traded for picks and legit prospects at the beginning of their tenure, those players would be "ready" for the NHL today based on age. Instead we got Linden Vey and Adam Clendening because they are "Ready Now" and "still young enough to improve."

Goldobin was more of the same. I would have taken a 2nd over Goldobin+4th. I would have been happy to take some player who was 18-19 at the time. Instead we got another guy who was almost out of time as a prospect and the results have been as predicted.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Eh, Goldoblin was a homerun swing for skill. With the puck on his stick he's easily one of the top 5 most dynamic player's in our organization. I want skill to ne a priority for Benning et al and sometimes that means you end up acquiring a Goldoblin. I can live with that.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Eh, Goldoblin was a homerun swing for skill. With the puck on his stick he's easily one of the top 5 most dynamic player's in our organization. I want skill to ne a priority for Benning et al and sometimes that means you end up acquiring a Goldoblin. I can live with that.

I don't disagree with this I think some of us were just frustrated to see more of the same from this front office.

When we traded Burrows for Dahlen, that was pretty much the first "pure futures" trade we had made in 4 years since Schneider for Horvat. It represented for some a welcomed change in direction and a new committment to "rebuilding."

But it instead appears to be more of a one-off, as it was followed up by yet another trade for an age-gap player and an off-season frenzy of signing veterans instead of looking to stock up on prospects.

Goldobin acquired under a different context would likely elicit a different reaction.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Goldobin was okay for Hansen, but I would have liked a pick as well. Conditional 1st/4th was interesting but I'd rather Goldobin + 3rd or even 2nd given how late the pick was. Not sure if Hansen could get a package like that, though. Regardless, it was fine and not one of the many things Benning deserves criticism for.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Earn it?
You mean waiting for every veteran to get injured so you can at least get over 10 mins of ice times?

Goldobin should have had a spot on this team since opening night...if we were rebuilding. Since they were quietly trying to push for the playoffs (so they could say "hey look at how well our rebuild is going") they needed all those veterans instead.

I hope he bolts to the KHL.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Goldobin was okay for Hansen, but I would have liked a pick as well. Conditional 1st/4th was interesting but I'd rather Goldobin + 3rd or even 2nd given how late the pick was. Not sure if Hansen could get a package like that, though. Regardless, it was fine and not one of the many things Benning deserves criticism for.

It was a stupid trade. An older prospect who really needed to make the team this year, for Hansen because you don't want to risk exposing Granlund or Sutter. Dumb move by a dumb GM.

Reactions: Jack Burton

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I don't mind Goldobin for Hansen. Goldobin was a 21 year old who was hitting almost a PPG in the AHL, worth a shot to see if his skill can translate. Problem for him is his defense is so rough he's not worth having on the ice. The problem is us signing Gagner in the offseason who is literally that, but older. We can't have both Gagner and Goldobin in the lineup at the same time, especially both in the bottom 6.

So Goldobin should have been on this team, making his mistakes and learning his game. Instead the management decided to sign an older player to fill that spot and now he's the odd man out. (EDIT: Which is terrible management)

I really hope that he can figure out defensive positioning and backchecking even the slightest bit, because I like his offensive awareness/puck skills

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't mind Goldobin for Hansen. Goldobin was a 21 year old who was hitting almost a PPG in the AHL, worth a shot to see if his skill can translate. Problem for him is his defense is so rough he's not worth having on the ice. The problem is us signing Gagner in the offseason who is literally that, but older. We can't have both Gagner and Goldobin in the lineup at the same time, especially both in the bottom 6.

So Goldobin should have been on this team, making his mistakes and learning his game. Instead the management decided to sign an older player to fill that spot and now he's the odd man out. (EDIT: Which is terrible management)

I really hope that he can figure out defensive positioning and backchecking even the slightest bit, because I like his offensive awareness/puck skills

Is the bolded referring to Goldobin or Shinkaruk? Like I said, similar prospects, but a huge difference in terms of what we gave up vs. what we acquired.

Gagner was an unnecessary signing, but again, Benning loaded up on vets to push for the playoffs.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad