Post-Game Talk: Golden Knights @ Caps, 8PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Did someone bring up soccer when people were saying there hadn't been a championship in almost 30 years? I know DC United has won a couple but honestly couldn't tell you what years. I'm not trying to bash soccer but really very few people in DC care. Similar to WNBA, who I believe has also won a title(no clue when though). Those sports just don't move the needle here for 95% of the population, and thus really don't mean much for the city as a whole.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
A few things:

1)Last year after our loss me and my best friend (also a Caps fan--and Redskins, Wizards) and I had a big conversation at the bar how we were done with Trotz, done with the Caps, and really how they had stolen our joy and love of hockey after years of heartbreak and disappointment. After the emotions subsided we got angry at the Mojo trade, angry we brought back Trotz, and got back to business, but I felt we were close to not watching hockey again for a few years. So this run, is rewarding, and like I said I've only been a fan for about 18 years, so that is nothing compared to many of you, but this has been the most rewarding sports experience of my life, easily. I love OV so much, he is my favorite athlete of all-time. I'm going to the bar Thursday with my friends who don't follow hockey as closely and I told them to prepare to be seen with a 30 year old man crying in public if that Russian SOB raises the cup.

2)If we do win the cup, then I'm sticking it to everyone. I can appreciate humility in losses from other fanbases, but everyone basically since 08 has rooted against us and OV every playoff run for the most part ranging from other fan bases to the damn NBC crew. Almost every single playoff series you have the NBC crew propping up our opponents and OV is just a foot note basically. Whether it was the Pens and slobbering over Malkin or Crosby or Letang, to the Rangers and the King or even scrubs like Kreider, Del Zotto, Callahan, to even the damn Islanders and Tavares, every single time we would beat those teams it would be radio silence. I've never understood why either, a loser franchise with a huge label of choking, maybe the biggest chokers in all of sports even if we do win the cup, and people rooted against us. No such thing as lovable losers in hockey.

3)To all the flaccid players we've had in the past and had to suffer through, we now have the opposite. I really liked Mike Green and Sasha a lot of the time, their skills were dazzling. What I remember most about Mike Green is taking two awful penalties in game 7 against the Rangers and letting them tie it up. It was pretty comical, guy comes out of the box and gave Dan Girardi (believe it was him) a Rock Bottom and went back in. Nothing needs to be said about Semin, he was lazy.

4)To number 3s point, I've absolutely detested Brooks Orpik, Barry Trotz, at times OVs effort, and Backstrom's disappearing acts over the years. But we would definitely not be here without Barry Trotz pushing every single right button, just a MASTERFUL coaching job, Brooks Orpik being an absolute physical stud playing really well all playoffs. DSP has 6 goals in the playoffs, and had 7 in the regular season. Burk who sucked all playoffs long stepped it up in a huge game 7. Lars "No hands" Eller has made himself into a household name. Even Chiasson who is our 13th forward played great in this run and had a HUGE goal in Pittsburgh. Not to mention Nathan Walker and Travis Boyd making an impact in possibly the biggest hurdle game in the run. This is unbelievable. We've all waited to see this happen and it is finally culminating. I think we're one fan base who hasn't taken one play for granted and won't until that final buzzer sounds. These next few days are going to be long, but hopefully will be worth the wait.

Last edited:

Big Drama Show

Oct 5, 2016
Re-watching the game now.
That Neal chance was a fluke collision by two caps. nothing to worry about there.
Backstrom love... Able to think so calmly even in extreme stress. How many times does he get the puck in the D end, hold it, hold it, and basically whilst being somewhat attacked, create an easy out.
That edgework by Vrana on the stutter step was next level. How many people have you seen with a stutter step that fakes losing speed? Hard to explain.
Wilson on that goal.. his IQ is extremely high. it really is. He is always getting better too... He is so damn valuable to this team. Anyone who thinks hes not in our best/most important players is crazy.

That DSP finish....

Will report back if i have more notes for next period lol.
This has caught my attention in these playoffs. His change of pace and being able to separate from defenders is elite. McDavid and Gaborik in his prime come to mind. Federov back in the day had this ability and it was beautiful to watch.

Reactions: calicapsfan

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
So in the 3rd period, Nicky is going down the ice back toward the Caps zone with Colin Miller and ties Miller's stick up as the puck goes by and it goes for icing against the Vegans. As soon as Nicky ties his stick up, Miller's head snaps back like he's been hit by a Jake LaMotta uppercut. It was f***ing comical. Nicky was just disgusted with him. He jawed at Miller the whole way down the ice as they went back for the face-off after the icing, and then did a pantomime of a fake head snap. Where is Don Cherry on that to bitch about honor in the game. There's Miller, a good Ontario boy, being lectured by a Swedish guy about not dishonoring the game with all that fake head snap crap. And then a couple of minutes later, Miller tries to mess up Oshie - and gets shellacked by Oshie's counter hit (just like what Neal did to Orpik in G3), and Gallant says his nose is broken, even though he went back out on the ice later. Maybe if Miller was more focused on just playing the game instead of trying to fool the refs into making a call, he might have more success.

And then there's this BS notion on the NHL Network last night that the Caps shouldn't have had their 1st PP unit out there w/2 minutes left after the Vegans take a couple of dirty penalties. That is absurd. First, we didn't have the first PP out there. Oshie was on the bench, which is why Connolly scored. But more importantly, you want to send Vegas a message late in the game that if you take a penalty, you will pay every f***ing time. They play an aggressive, high-pressure, attack the guy with the puck game, and their players often go right up to - or cross - the boundary of what's legal in terms of stick work, late-ish hits, etc. Fine. They've had plenty of success with it. One way to make them a bit less aggressive and a bit less pressurized on the puck is to make it clear that if they cross the line and get caught - they will pay every time. So of course you have the guys who are most likely to score out there. It's baffling to me why even normally intelligent guys on the NHL Network would question that.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
And then there's this BS notion on the NHL Network last night that the Caps shouldn't have had their 1st PP unit out there w/2 minutes left after the Vegans take a couple of dirty penalties. That is absurd. First, we didn't have the first PP out there. Oshie was on the bench, which is why Connolly scored. But more importantly, you want to send Vegas a message late in the game that if you take a penalty, you will pay every ****ing time. They play an aggressive, high-pressure, attack the guy with the puck game, and their players often go right up to - or cross - the boundary of what's legal in terms of stick work, late-ish hits, etc. Fine. They've had plenty of success with it. One way to make them a bit less aggressive and a bit less pressurized on the puck is to make it clear that if they cross the line and get caught - they will pay every time. So of course you have the guys who are most likely to score out there. It's baffling to me why even normally intelligent guys on the NHL Network would question that.

Showing mercy in the finals is for fools. You make dirty hits, you put Ovechkin in his office. That is the punishment every time, regardless.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Did someone bring up soccer when people were saying there hadn't been a championship in almost 30 years? I know DC United has won a couple but honestly couldn't tell you what years. I'm not trying to bash soccer but really very few people in DC care. Similar to WNBA, who I believe has also won a title(no clue when though). Those sports just don't move the needle here for 95% of the population, and thus really don't mean much for the city as a whole.
Depends on what you mean by care. It is extremely popular as a youth sport, people generally know the game well. MLS-wise, you are correct. I'm not sure why professional soccer has not taken off. I love the game, played it my whole life (and still do at 50). I don't follow the MLS and follow European soccer peripherally.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Depends on what you mean by care. It is extremely popular as a youth sport, people generally know the game well. MLS-wise, you are correct. I'm not sure why professional soccer has not taken off. I love the game, played it my whole life (and still do at 50). I don't follow the MLS and follow European soccer peripherally.

Right, I obviously meant as a professional sport(not youth sports). Because we were discussing professional team championships.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
And then there's this BS notion on the NHL Network last night that the Caps shouldn't have had their 1st PP unit out there w/2 minutes left after the Vegans take a couple of dirty penalties. That is absurd. First, we didn't have the first PP out there. Oshie was on the bench, which is why Connolly scored. .

This is so dumb and making me lose respect for the NHL Network guys. This isn't football, where you can just hand it off over and over and the other team can't score. In hockey you let off and the other team can take it the other way in a matter of seconds and score on you, PP or not. Maybe in the regular season you don't care but SCF they aren't going to mess around. It's just sour grapes whining

Reactions: Heath and RandyHolt

Revolver

Mar 22, 2013
Winnipeg
A few things:

1)Last year after our loss me and my best friend (also a Caps fan--and Redskins, Wizards) and I had a big conversation at the bar how we were done with Trotz, done with the Caps, and really how they had stolen our joy and love of hockey after years of heartbreak and disappointment. After the emotions subsided we got angry at the Mojo trade, angry we brought back Trotz, and got back to business, but I felt we were close to not watching hockey again for a few years. So this run, is rewarding, and like I said I've only been a fan for about 18 years, so that is nothing compared to many of you, but this has been the most rewarding sports experience of my life, easily. I love OV so much, he is my favorite athlete of all-time. I'm going to the bar Thursday with my friends who don't follow hockey as closely and I told them to prepare to be seen with a 30 year old man crying in public if that Russian SOB raises the cup.

This is exactly why I hope you guys win this, and not Vegas. A fan base that has suffered for decades deserves it more than a first-year fan base.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010

Professional soccer in the States, it seems, has always suffered from low awareness among the general public and has had to fight other sports for air time. DC United has 4 MLS titles, the last in 2004 (?). If Wayne Rooney signs, the team will get more exposure, as it will when it moves to the new stadium in about a month.

I'm sure the league can point to research to justify the season running from March to December, but soccer in the US is on a different schedule than most of the world's best leagues, whose seasons end in May. Which means MLS is competing with all sports during part of their season, culminating in end-of-regular season matches and playoffs during American football.

I wouldn't put DCU in the same category as the Mystics. You might as well mention the Kastles of World Team Tennis or whatever it's called.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I loved listening to gallants post game. I know as a coach you are supposed to say the right thing but he sounds like a little baby. acting like TJ is some thug, when his own player was instigating the entire thing. Then ignoring Reeves going after Wilson and mcnaab and Neal picking fights with guys like kuzy. He also talked about their play was better with the missed net and post but our goals were lucky outside of DSP?!?!? I guess that sweet bass from backy to Wilson was luck. Or the one timer play to Carlson. And I don’t care if they missed an open net because kempny did too, so we’re even there. I hope he doesn’t change a thing because they are the better team.

Reactions: calicapsfan

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
This is so dumb and making me lose respect for the NHL Network guys. This isn't football, where you can just hand it off over and over and the other team can't score. In hockey you let off and the other team can take it the other way in a matter of seconds and score on you, PP or not. Maybe in the regular season you don't care but SCF they aren't going to mess around. It's just sour grapes whining

Obviously whoever the people are saying thrsd things missed the early part of the Columbus series or the Pens scoring 3 goals in 5 minutes to win Game 1. This is the f***ing Final and there was still time for Vegas to make it interesting if the Caps messed around. Even if there wasn't, they deserve to be humiliated for trying to goon it up so much.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
This has caught my attention in these playoffs. His change of pace and being able to separate from defenders is elite. McDavid and Gaborik in his prime come to mind. Federov back in the day had this ability and it was beautiful to watch.
You're forgetting one notable guy here. I think 92 is top-3 in the league as a technical skater. His edge work is incredible.

Reactions: Dr John Carlson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad