GDT: Gold Medal Game • Canada 3, Russia 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
Ya they knocked us out in Turin and nearly knocked us out in Ottawa. Would love to a see a Russia - Canada final in Sochi.

I care not so much for the WJC cause Canada is expected to win it. They're the Yankees of junior hockey. But as amazing as the 2010 gold was, I think I'd be more pumped if Canada won gold on Russian ice in 2014. It'd be the first time since the '72 Summit Series and the first time Canada won a gold off its own continent since 1952.

Cheli

Jul 6, 2008
Toronto/Waterloo
I'm a little tipsy and I know I'll forget to post this after the game (plus it'll get drowned out by a swarm of posts) so here are my thoughts after 1:

- is it just me, or does Eakin get a lot of quality chances (partial/actual breaks, etc.) and never score?
(although I'll agree with Pierre that he got hooked a bit on that one)
- Russians had a few really good plays (geez, Tarasenko off the crossbar) but they looked like they didn't have enough hustle .. i.e. they weren't chasing the puck enough, they weren't putting as much effort in as they could have - no offense to any Russians, but there were at least a few times they looked lazy out there
- neutral zone turnovers are bad! (and both teams have had a few ugly ones)
- Kassian had a big hit near the end of the period which was clean - BUT it caused the Russian player to bang his head/helmet against the glass. I thought it was said earlier in the tournament that a hit which causes a player to hit their head against the ice/glass/boards could still be considered a "hit to the head"? can anyone who is more familiar with international rules clarify this? (does it only get looked at if the player seems to be injured?)
- Barrie just keeps getting better, I can't believe he managed to get the puck on that diving play and didn't take a penalty with international refs
- Ashton had a few nice stickhandling moves before he scored in th dying seconds - they might get overlooked because of the fact that he scored, but I liked them
- Ellis is really good at this level. I don't know what kind of NHL impact he'll have, but he makes some awesome plays here.

Pretty good game so far, I think Canada is pretty much playing the game they wanted to - except a few too many turnovers.

BTW - those stanchions (sp?) are still doing some weird bounces..

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
This game is far from over. Never count out the Russians...especially this team this year. Tarasenko is phenomenal and so is Orlov. Burdasov's one handed pull back for a pass to the slot was sick. I've been impressed with him every game I've watched him.

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006
Canada looked a bit lazy in the second half of that period. Kassian hit was huge though...and that Ashton goal was an INCREDIBLE snipe. He had a great period and earned that one.

Bring on the second!

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Good obs...

OMG what a defense by team Russia on Canada's second goal.
Three players (Sergeev, Ignatovich and Panarin/Voronin, don't remember) watching Canada scoring :fac:
Wasn't that a penalty on that Kuznetsov's rush????
Anyhow, Canada deserves to be up. So far.
Go Russia

Russias D has been a little suspect down low with decision making alll tournament.

Missed the Kuznetsov possible penalty. Describe why you think it should be.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I do like how Canada is playing as a team. They are fast, bigger, and stronger. However, I don't see how any of these players could be better than 3rd-4th liners in the NHL. In Russia's roster there are at least 5 player who are guaranteed to be playing in top 6.

Davebo*

I do like how Canada is playing as a team. They are fast, bigger, and stronger. However, I don't see how any of these players could be better than 3rd-4th liners in the NHL. In Russia's roster there are at least 5 player who are guaranteed to be playing in top 6.

How many NHL drafted players are on the Russian team?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Dylan Olsen hasn't been too bad other than getting burned one on one one time. Then again as well as Canada has played the skill of Russia seems to really kill them one versus one.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Russias D has been a little suspect down low with decision making alll tournament.

Missed the Kuznetsov possible penalty. Describe why you think it should be.

The d-man takes him down without even sniffing the puck, imho.
Shikin needs some :help: too. He's awesome in certain moment, horrible the next shot. I still don't get why he was standing still when the Canadians scored the first goal.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Not to sound like a dick, because I know what you're saying and probably agree to a certain point. (I think you're under and overestimating those numbers) But I'm sure this is really reassuring to the Russian team right now.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Shikin looked like Olivier Roy on that goal, down on his knees early with no reason to be down.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

I don't know about that. In these tournaments, to quote Russian coach Vyacheslav Bykov, the team whose 'generals' turn into 'foot soldiers' usually win.

Look at Sean Couturier for example still leads the Quebec Major Junior League in scoring after missing a month, and did it last year as a 17 yearold; the first player to do so since Crosby. The kid is also touted to go top five in the upcoming NHL draft, chances are next year he will be a top six forward somewhere.

SerbianHabs

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow,Russia
How many NHL drafted players are on the Russian team?

I think those arguments are difficult to have now with anyone due to the KHL managing to keep many young players and NHL clubs reluctant to draft Russians who could end up staying in Russia for the rest of there career resulting in a wasted pick.

ForceMajeure

Dec 27, 2009
Shikin needs some :help: too. He's awesome in certain moment, horrible the next shot. I still don't get why he was standing still when the Canadians scored the first goal.

To me it seems as if he was screened and tried to look past the canadian player on the wrong side and therefore didn't see Schenn make that pass.

Vic Rattlehead*

I don't care. I just remeber those Marchands and Blundens of the past. All those were drafted, now they are struggling to get to NHL.

lol what?

Marchand is one of Boston's most consistent forwards and deserves far more ice time than he is currently getting.

Plus, he was never initially pegged to be much more than a third liner anyways. On the other hand, a guy like Couturier will easily be a top six forward in the NHL.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Lets keep the discussion to tonight's game and not whether you think Canadians are nice or how the rest of the hockey world compares to Canada. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany