GDT: Gold Medal Game • Canada 3, Russia 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I almost want Russia to win, I feel like this tournament may die if other countries don't start winning.

Really liking our game tonight, should hold on if they keep this play up.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I do like how Canada is playing as a team. They are fast, bigger, and stronger. However, I don't see how any of these players could be better than 3rd-4th liners in the NHL. In Russia's roster there are at least 5 player who are guaranteed to be playing in top 6.

Assuming they come into the NHL and work hard, I think Orlov, Kitsyn, Kuznetsov, and Tarasenko could all be top 6 players or a top 4 D in Orlov's case

Problem is we have seen guys like Zherdev and Filatov play well and still not translate well in the NHL (though Filatov is still too young to write-off)...also, there is always that risk that guys will want to play back home and it hurts Russians just because less of them are drafted than what their talent should suggest

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev72

Shikin gave up two very soft goals, especially the second one. On the first goal, he failed to move across on a pretty common cross ice pass to set up the one-timer. You can't just cover half the net and then expect to keep the puck out. On the second goal, which came from an angle right along the goal line, he just failed to cover the net. Weak goaltending can demoralize the other guys - I hope Russia can hang in there and get the next goal. If they go down 3-0, its probably over.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pulling down Kuz...

The d-man takes him down without even sniffing the puck, imho.
Shikin needs some :help: too. He's awesome in certain moment, horrible the next shot. I still don't get why he was standing still when the Canadians scored the first goal.

netsov without playing the puck was certainly close. Judgement call.

I don't think Shikin saw the pass go through...threaded mighty damn fine. Unreal touch by Schenn. Schenn has exceeded my expectations hugely in this tournament.

As for the Russian team I expect adjustments. If the Russians can move the puck out of their own end simpler...could lead to problems for Canada. Lets see what happens.;)

Antraxh

Jan 5, 2009
Not to sound like a dick, because I know what you're saying and probably agree to a certain point. (I think you're under and overestimating those numbers) But I'm sure this is really reassuring to the Russian team right now.

I wonder which team of Sweden,Russia,USA and Canada has the most NHL regulars in say, 5 years.

Brycios

Apr 17, 2007
Osgoode
This game will be much different if the Russians get more physical down low. Even Ellis is dominating on the end boards!

If they can start winning battles along the boards, they'll give themselves a chance to get back in this game.

LostMyGlasses*

I don't care. I just remeber those Marchands and Blundens of the past. All those were drafted, now they are struggling to get to NHL.

Do you honestly think players like Schenn, Ellis and Johansen have no future in the NHL, or simply as 3rd or fourth liners..?

This Russian team is good, and I'm glad to see it. Some of those players will be great in the NHL, others will find excellent careers in the KHL.

Disparaging the depth players or players that are having a tough time making the NHL to make Canada look bad is a bit silly.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Olsen and Ellis look really shakey today in their own zone

BlackAces*

Well, do you want to tell us that Tarasenko, Kitsyn, Kuznetsov, Orlov don't have such porential?

Potential isn't worth a hill of beans. You are guaranteeing that there will be 5 top 6 players in the NHL off this Russian team? Has that ever happened off of any Russian team?

I would bet more top 6 NHLers come off of this Canadian team than from the Russian one.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Isn't Orlov a D? What's he doing on your top line? :shakehead

Answer my question, please - how many NHL drafted players on on the Russian team?

What does being drafted have to do with anything? Russians don't get drafted because of many factors that may have nothing to do with talent level.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
Russia needs to improve their game in the defensive zone.
They are an easy prey for the Canada forecheck atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad