GDT: Gold Medal Game • Canada 3, Russia 5 • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
Excellent post.

Thanks. :)

10 Consecutive years in the final is an amazing run.

It really is.

People are so quick to forget that during the 5 straight run, there were a couple of very close calls.

2007 - S/O against the USA in the Semis. That's anyone's game at that point
2008 - OT against the Swedes in the Gold Medal game.
2009 - Scored with 5 seconds to go against the Russians in the semis to tie the game.

Agreed. Canada deserves credit for consistently getting to the Gold Medal game, which isn't easy.

Oh course, the result of the game was extremely disappointing.

It's a rough way to lose, yeah.

As for Canadian goaltending, sure, it would be nice to have a Price/Pogge go all the way, but that hasn't been the case lately.

And think about it, if you're a young kid, why play goal? Only 60 NHL jobs, with 30 of them starters. Much better to play either D or Forward if you want a future in the pros. I think you're seeing this change in mentality, especially in the Q, as Roy and Brodeur are no longer their heroes.

Good points. We might be due for a cyclical decline in the quality of our goalies. The Q is heavily influenced by the current and recent NHL, the Habs in particular. Given Kovalev's popularity while in Montreal, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Q shift back towards producing a lot of talented forwards, as it was during the Lafleur glory days in Montreal.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
What does that tell you about either player? Give the Russian player credit, his team took advantage of that, while Schenn and the rest of the team just freaking coasted. Like I said embarassing! I've never seen a bigger collapse from a Canadian team in my life. I don't know what happened to them but they deserve to lose.

I didn't know that proudly displaying your respective country's logo during a goal celebration was such a terrible act.

If you want to get pissy about goal celebrations, look no further than Gudbranson tackling Ashton after the 2nd goal like he just scored the OT Cup winner in Game 7.

Either way, we are talking about teenagers here. They act like kids when they score because they are exactly that: kids.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
Code Blue
Cardiac arrest
Generally is used to indicate a patient requiring immediate resuscitation, most often as the result of a cardiac arrest. May also be used as a radio call to indicate that a patient en route to the hospital requires resuscitation. "Code Blue - Adult" or " - Pediatric" are sometimes used to provide additional information about the patient.
This phrase was coined at Bethany Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas.

Thanks. That civil war story had me scratching my head.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
What was funny is that the Russian player did the same thing after an almost identical goal when he tied it up.

And they were both the 3rd goals by their respective teams.

only one small difference between the two...

I feel bad for the Canadian team but sure as hell don't feel bad for some of the (no doubt young and arrogant) Canadian fans.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I'd throw McGuire in there too.

Pierre McGuire did very little to hide his homerism in this tournament. I thought it was pretty embarrassing in the game vs USA when he started whining about the Kassian suspension after an American player threw an elbow.

Russia did an awesome job. For me though the highlight of this tournament and the Olympics last year is watching the rise of the Swiss. They are already playing intelligent hockey.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
Sooo, any chance of a video of James Duthie's "Canada is not Finland"?

Oh yeah....that was dumb of him. Also Arthur yesterday writing how Canada always comes big in big games.....there was solo much bad karma built up that this outcome was inevitable.

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
I didn't know that proudly displaying your respective country's logo during a goal celebration was such a terrible act.

If you want to get pissy about goal celebrations, look no further than Gudbranson tackling Ashton after the 2nd goal like he just scored the OT Cup winner in Game 7.

Either way, we are talking about teenagers here. They act like kids when they score because they are exactly that: kids.

You don't disrespect your opponent no matter how young you are. That was the type of thing that only fires up your opponent and comes back to bite you, and Schenn should have known better.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Feels great. It's been a while.

I've fired the coach half of the players and the federation after two periods... amazing.

Tarasenko pulling a Riberio was de trop though.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Of course he did.

I thought at the time, what a dumbass move by Schenn. Judging by how they played in the 3rd, the Russians watched the replay throughout the second intermission.

Hahahaha it bit him in the ass real good didn't it!? Karma's awesome! I can't stop watching the highlights haha hopefully we lose again next year!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If Canadia had Crosby they would have won the Cup11!1!1!!!

Not only would they have won the Cup, but they would have been formally recognized as an new and independent nation!

Oh Canadia!

I'm thinking Cameron wouldn't mind moving there right now if they'd accept him as a refugee.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
You don't disrespect your opponent no matter how young you are. That was the type of thing that only fires up your opponent and comes back to bite you, and Schenn should have known better.

I don't think that's mocking the other team; if it is, then celebrating a goal in any way is mocking your opponent and should be banned immediately.

Looks like a bunch of shattered fans grasping at blame straws. It's funny to me that anyone could take shots at the MVP of the tournament, a kid who just tied the Canadian scoring record while putting up 1 + 1 in the Gold Medal game while reportedly having a seperated shoulder to boot...or to about.

These two teams play 10 times and I'm going to take Canada 7 or 8 out of those 10. Everyone on here trying to find "the excuse": goal celebration, coaching, team selection, "Canada is not Finland". I know some are in jest, like the latter, but the excuse is that the puck went in more for the Russian team.

Canada took its foot off the gas plain and simple. WJC, AHL, NHL...the only thing a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning. If Russia doesn't score the 2nd goal so quickly, I think they are fine. They tensed up and what was obvious at the start of the game became painfully evident (for Canada and her fans) after the 2nd goal: Russia had nothing to lose while Canada had everything to lose.

Take away the pressure and Canada crushes...much like everyone saw a week ago with these same two teams. Teenagers worrying about jackass anouncers labeling their loss as the "biggest upset in hockey history"?! C'mon now Canada.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To the canadian fella who talked so much **** to me in section 303.. I hope you enjoyed your trail of tears down the QEW!

I'm amazed he noticed you at all with all of the Red and White in your rink.

I'm surprised you're not thanking him for the economic boost to your region.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
What is code blue exactly? I've seen it in various clips but never understood what it's about.

Well, I thought it was a play on the country colors of the US and Canada. Both have red and white but the US has blue, so "code blue" was to mean that the tournament was in the US (sort of) and the Canadian team would have to beat the US in order to win gold (which they did) but you know what happened against Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad