GDT: Gold Medal Game • Canada 3, Russia 5 • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A New Poster said:
I'm new here, so I don't know... maybe I missed out on something that provoked the hatred towards Canadians, but the lack of class by most everyone in this thread right now is disgusting. Canadians acting entitled, everyone else gloating like no tomorrow... jeez.

I don't condone the gloating, but it's 99% a reaction to the "Canadians acting entitled." No one hates the Canadians. In fact, I think that just about everyone likes them... but when a minority of Canadians act entitled and get cocky about their hockey team, people of other nationalities don't take it so well and start to want to see them knocked off of their pedestal. That's really all that it is. It's nothing serious or much to do with Canada, really. No matter what team you cheer for, if you start to get cocky, people are going to either privately or publicly want your team to lose to put you in your place. It doesn't make the gloating any more acceptable than the initial cockiness, though. They're both equally immature attitudes, but that's the answer to your question. I wouldn't worry about it. It's rather natural and tends to cool pretty quickly and return to a level of mutual respect when these tournaments end.

Last edited:

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
Congratulations to Russia! I feel bad for The boys as you could tell they were heartbroken. But its a hard lesson that needed to be learned. They did a lot of standing around for the last 25 mins waiting for time to expire. But serious props to Russia, they never quit and played great in the last half of the game. Props!

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
I love it how some Canadians bring up the "if we had him and him, we would have won-argument". Cuz' when Sweden brought it up, it was ridiculed. Anyways, congrats to Russia, amazing comeback and an amazing tournament when you think about how many times you came back.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Better team won.

I posted after the first period that this Russian team wasn't afraid to come back, and they certainly did.

Congratulations!

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Agree

Two things:

1. To my fellow Canadians: Can we please stop using the "If we had Hall and Seguin there, we would have won!" line of reasoning? Honestly, guys, it's such sore loser mentality and it just sounds sooooo lame. Everybody knows that the World Juniors is a tournament for the best players in the world under a certain age and not NHL regulars yet. Canada is not the only team to ever be hurt by stuff like this.

Just suck it up and handle the fact that we didn't win this one. Geez, we have achieved Gold or Silver in the World Juniors for ten straight years now! Isn't that enough?

Other than the fact that I feel a bit bad for the guys on this Team Canada squad that will never experience a World Junior Gold Medal win, I'm not depressed by this. Ten years of nothing but gold or silver is nothing to be depressed about! With this partly in mind...

2. To fans of other national teams who critique how some Canadian fans are... I hear you. One thing that I really wish would end is this Canadian mentality that we have to *constantly* be the very best at hockey, or something's wrong with the world. As a Canadian, I want my team to be the best, but I also recognize that in each of these sorts of world hockey tournaments (World Juniors, Olympics, World Championships, etc...) there's several other nations that ice good competitive teams, and that those teams deserve more respect than what some of my fellow Canadians give them. Also, it's just utterly unrealistic to expect Canada to win each and every one of these tournaments when you do have several other highly competitive good teams to contend with.

The fact that Team Canada wins as often as it does is more than enough to keep me happy. We really need to be more gracious in defeats when they do happen. And yes, more classy in some of our victories too.

Excellent post.

1) 10 Consecutive years in the final is an amazing run. People are so quick to forget that during the 5 straight run, there were a couple of very close calls.

2007 - S/O against the USA in the Semis. That's anyone's game at that point
2008 - OT against the Swedes in the Gold Medal game.
2009 - Scored with 5 seconds to go against the Russians in the semis to tie the game.

Oh course, the result of the game was extremely disappointing. It's on par with the 2004 loss to the USA. Remember, that team was heavily stacked with the great 2003 draft class and Crosby. Also, in Halifax in 2003, Canada was up 2-1 going into the 3rd and lost the game 3-2. So, Canada has experienced heartbreak at this tournament.

Can't also believe people are complaining about the selection of the team. Arguing about a team that was up 3-0 in the 3rd period of the gold medal game. Too many mental mistakes in the 3rd.

As for Canadian goaltending, sure, it would be nice to have a Price/Pogge go all the way, but that hasn't been the case lately.

And think about it, if you're a young kid, why play goal? Only 60 NHL jobs, with 30 of them starters. Much better to play either D or Forward if you want a future in the pros. I think you're seeing this change in mentality, especially in the Q, as Roy and Brodeur are no longer their heroes.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I don't condone the gloating, but it's 99% a reaction to the "Canadians acting entitled." No one hates the Canadians. In fact, I think that just about everyone likes them... but when a minority of Canadians act entitled and get cocky about their hockey team, people of other nationalities don't take it so well and start to want to see them knocked off of their pedestal. That's really all that it is. It's nothing serious or much to do with Canada, really. No matter what team you cheer for, if you start to get cocky, people are going to either privately or publicly want your team to lose to put you in your place. It doesn't make the gloating any more acceptable than the initial cockiness, though. They're both equally immature attitudes, but that's the answer to your question. I wouldn't worry about it. It's rather natural and tends to cool pretty quickly when these tournaments end.

The best way to explain it to him would be to get him to read through the first gdt. It was full of us canadians bragging about being the best and how Russia had no business being on the ice. We simply had it coming.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Only real issue I had was Cameron not using his timeout after the two quick ones.

But, then again, even after they used it later on, it's not as if it made much of a difference after it was 3-3 as Russia still carried the play.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I love it how some Canadians bring up the "if we had him and him, we would have won-argument". Cuz' when Sweden brought it up, it was ridiculed. Anyways, congrats to Russia, amazing comeback and an amazing tournament when you think about how many times you came back.
At this point, maybe naively, I have to think most people are mentioning it purely as sarcasm. :dunno:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Congrats to Russia. Biggest collapse in WFHC history. What a disgrace. Schenn pimping his jersey after the third goal was priceless considering we hadn't won anything yet. Just embarassing. I am so pissed right now behind belief. The players should be ashamed of themselves. The excuses from Vissentin and Howden were also embarassing! When you answer a question like * well we should be proud to win silver* of course we lost! with the mindset of that no wonder this team collapsed at the end. No killer instinct in this game at all. When they played the U.S they were completely different. Tonight, no hitting, no forecheck, you get up 3-0 on a PP goal and, a good shot and some luck, and then you coast the rest of the way. I feel like puking. This sucks.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Congrats to Russia. Biggest collapse in WFHC history. What a disgrace. Schenn pimping his jersey after the third goal was priceless considering we hadn't won anything yet. Just embarassing. I am so pissed right now behind belief. The players should be ashamed of themselves. The excuses from Vissentin and Howden were also embarassing! When you answer a question like * well we should be proud to win silver* of course we lost! with the mindset of that no wonder this team collapsed at the end. No killer instinct in this game at all. When they played the U.S they were completely different. Tonight, no hitting, no forecheck, you get up 3-0 on a PP goal and, a good shot and some luck, and then you coast the rest of the way. I feel like puking. This sucks.

Sorry I meant to say WJHC*

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
Wow just got back from watching this game, unbelievable comeback:handclap:

These guys showed so much heart and determination and our top players steped up when we needed them to, maybe our senior team can take an example from this.

Oh also I'm glad there was no translation during the post game celebration:sarcasm:

Ohh now you made me even more curious :D

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Wow just got back from watching this game, unbelievable comeback:handclap:

These guys showed so much heart and determination and our top players steped up when we needed them to, maybe our senior team can take an example from this.

Oh also I'm glad there was no translation during the post game celebration:sarcasm:
Well, even though I didn't understand what they were yelling, I did assumed there were some bad things in there, but who cares, they're young.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Schenn pimping his jersey after the third goal was priceless considering we hadn't won anything yet.

What was funny is that the Russian player did the same thing after an almost identical goal when he tied it up.

And they were both the 3rd goals by their respective teams.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What was funny is that the Russian player did the same thing after an almost identical goal when he tied it up.

And they were both the 3rd goals by their respective teams.

What does that tell you about either player? Give the Russian player credit, his team took advantage of that, while Schenn and the rest of the team just freaking coasted. Like I said embarassing! I've never seen a bigger collapse from a Canadian team in my life. I don't know what happened to them but they deserve to lose.

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
Sooo ... any insight in this "Code Blue" thing I asked about?

Code Blue
Cardiac arrest
Generally is used to indicate a patient requiring immediate resuscitation, most often as the result of a cardiac arrest. May also be used as a radio call to indicate that a patient en route to the hospital requires resuscitation. "Code Blue - Adult" or " - Pediatric" are sometimes used to provide additional information about the patient.
This phrase was coined at Bethany Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What does that tell you about either player? Give the Russian player credit, his team took advantage of that, while Schenn and the rest of the team just freaking coasted. Like I said embarassing!

I'm just making an observation.

I'm not being critical.

It'd be fun to do a youtube with them back to back, because they were like mirror images IIRC - the goal and the celebration. Maybe he knew that, or maybe he just got caught up in the emotional high of the comeback.

God, you can't say anything around here without people leaping down your throat.

Stats01 said:
I've never seen a bigger collapse from a Canadian team in my life. I don't know what happened to them but they deserve to lose.

It's actually similar to what happened to Team Canada against the Russians at the World Championships in 2008.

They certainly didn't deserve to win as much as the Russians, who came up huge when it counted.

inoajd

Dec 11, 2010
It'd be fun to do a youtube with them back to back, because they were like mirror images IIRC. Maybe he knew that, or maybe he just got caught up in the emotional high of the comeback.

I'd imagine he did it because of Schenn doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad