Going into this years playoffs, who would you rather take in their Prime? OV vs Datsyuk

Going into this years playoffs, who would you rather take in their Prime? OV vs Datsyuk

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Huh? You didnt refute a single thing. Tell me honestly that Ovechkin is one of the best possession players ? Or are you just back peddling? Datsyuk was arguably the best player in 08-09 when points is all the scuffle and 2 way play is something that the casual fans gloss over because its not romantic nor is it something that can be quantified.

What am I back peddling from? And back in his prime he absolutely was. Datsyuk was a damn magician out there and was one of the best players for quite a few seasons, but he was never the best.

In Datsyuk's season he had 97 points, a year where Zetterberg had 73 points and Hossa had 71 points.
In Ovechkin's prime he had seasons where he put up 106 points (50+ goals), and the next leading scorer on his team was Zubrus with 57 points. The season he put up 65 goals and 112 points his next closest teammate was Backstrom with 69 points.

2-way play is important, but it doesn't equal an extra 50+ points (majority of them goals) that peak Ovechkin could get. Datsyuk never had the physicality to take over the game like Ovechkin could.

Reactions: third man in

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
For the Flames, I take Ovechkin. We need more scoring and in particular scoring wingers. For a team shorter on centre depth, Datsyuk isn't a bad choice. I think this depends on team need and whether you need team O or team D.

Reactions: Figgzfood

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Datsyuk - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Komarov - Bozak - Brown

Lol.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I always thought datysuk was kind of overrated sue to his dangles and "200 foot game" but this proves it to me . Prime ovi is way to good to pass up on .

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Uh....there's like, real data on this.

Datsyuk's best three year stretch of CF% averaged 64.8%. That's a fantastic number. For Ovechkin, it's 64.9%.

Fenwick tells the same story. 64.2% for Datsyuk. 64.2% for Ovechkin.
Where are you getting your numbers?
According to corsica, since 2007-08 (earliest season of data available on the website) Ovechkin's highest CF% season is 58.1%.
Are you not using 5v5 only? Or what website are you using?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's funny how most of these fools are answering "Datsyuk easily" or, "OV AINEC" and yet with over 100 votes it's nearly even.

Realistically this may be one of the most accurate polls in HF history. This should be a tie. End of the day it's all about which type of player you prefer. Ovechkin's obviously the better offensive player, but at the peaks of their careers, Datsyuk's peak offense wasn't far off, and he may have been one of the best of all time as far as a 200 foot game goes.

And yes, you can realistically make an argument that Datsyuk was the best player in the world in 07/08 and 08/09.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Easily OV. Datsyuk was also a weak playoff performer.

Datsyuk was relied on as a shutdown forward during the playoffs...

Back in Detroit's glory days where they had the depth to use their top players to shut down the opposing team's top players and could rely on the secondary guys to score. :(

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
So he won all those Selkes without being a shutdown forward?

Regular season is not nearly as focused on line matchups as playoffs. And Babcock was infamous for this stuff. Best example is probably Zetterberg being attached to Crosby's hip.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Regular season is not nearly as focused on line matchups as playoffs. And Babcock was infamous for this stuff. Best example is probably Zetterberg being attached to Crosby's hip.
Probably not the example you want to bring up, if his teammate was the one matching up against the best player in the game.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He had a broken foot both years?

Jesus, you're really chucking the darts at the board now. 09, yes he did. 08, can't remember if he was hurt. Also can't remember if Zetterberg or Datsyuk matched up against Crosby that year. (It was definitely Zetterberg broken foot year.)

Safe to say whoever didn't was shutting down the other elite center on that team. As I recall they didn't score a goal the first two games of the series.

Last edited:

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Jesus, you're really chucking the darts at the board now. 09, yes he did. 08, can't remember if he was hurt. Also can't remember if Zetterberg or Datsyuk matched up against Crosby that year. (It was definitely Zetterberg broken foot year.)

Safe to say whoever didn't was shutting down the other elite center on that team. As I recall they didn't score a goal the first two games of the series.

It was Z both years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad