Going into this years playoffs, who would you rather take in their Prime? OV vs Datsyuk

Going into this years playoffs, who would you rather take in their Prime? OV vs Datsyuk

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Going into this years playoffs, which Russian would you rather add to your team while in their peak ?(I know I said prime in title)

A peak Ovechkin with 65 g 112 pt season and claimed the Hart, Ross, Pearson, Richard

or

A peak Datsyuk with Selke plus 97 pts while claiming the highest pts/60 of of all players with at least a majority of the season played, plus best defensive forward?

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It's very hard to pick between two players who bring such different skills. That being said, OV's 2009 playoffs was better than anything Datsyuk did in the playoffs, which includes consideration for their 2-way games or lack thereof.

Here are their playoff stats when they were at their peaks in 08 and 09:

Dats- 38 games, 11 goals, 32 points, .84 PPG (this includes three games where he came back from injury in 2009)

OV- 21 games, 15 goals, 30 points, 1.43 PPG

Reactions: c3z4r and Intact

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Assuming you're already a playoff team with a high end 1st line, being able to have Ovi on a separate line somewhere is just too much for Datsyuk's all around game to overcome.

Datsyuk won't be a dominating offensive force with bad linemates, Ovi is going to score goals and cause panic on the forecheck regardless of who you put him with.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Datsyuk. He’s a Swiss Army knife who could do anything a coach could ask of a player.

Elite two way centre is more valuable than an (extremely potent) offensive winger.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Lmaoooo, peak OV was easily the best player in the world. Check his hart record in 08 and 09 compared to Datsyuk. I don't remember any one except serious wings homers saying Datsyuk was the best player back then. He should have zero votes in this poll, but the "2 way" guys are always overrated af so I'm not surprised.

07-10
Ovechkin
Malkin
Crosby/Datsyuk

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Assuming you're already a playoff team with a high end 1st line, being able to have Ovi on a separate line somewhere is just too much for Datsyuk's all around game to overcome.

Datsyuk won't be a dominating offensive force with bad linemates, Ovi is going to score goals and cause panic on the forecheck regardless of who you put him with.

Ovechkin wont be a dominating possession player with even good linemates, Datsyuk is going to neutralize the other teams offense while putting up respectable offense regardless who you put with him ie 14-15 with Holmstrom Abdelkader as linemates scoring 65 in 63 with 19 mins of time on ice.

Last edited:

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Ovechkin with the right supporting cast> Datsyuk.

Ovy reminds me of Lebron in the sense that he could take over a game physically and on the score board at will in his prime. Teams draw up game plans to play him.

Reactions: Islands

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Ovechkin wont be a dominating possession player with even good linemates, Datsyuk is going to neutralize the other teams offense while putting up respectable offense regardless who you put with him ie 14-15 with Holmstrom Abdelkader as linemates scoring 65 in 63 with 19 mins of time on ice.

It doesn't really matter. I love Datsyuk, don't get me wrong, but if you already have a playoff-worthy top-6, adding Ovechkin on his own line is impossible to counter. It's the same effect having Kessel on the 3rd line had on the Penguins, except magnified 10x.

Edit: I would build a team around Peak Datsyk over Peak Ovi probabl. But if I already have a playoff team built and ready to go, Ovi is the piece that would put it over the top for me.

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Uh....there's like, real data on this.

Datsyuk's best three year stretch of CF% averaged 64.8%. That's a fantastic number. For Ovechkin, it's 64.9%.

Fenwick tells the same story. 64.2% for Datsyuk. 64.2% for Ovechkin.

If true, that just goes to show you there is a big time flaw with Corsi because Datsyuks possession time was much higher than OV could dream of. Granted he is a center, which also goes to support that centers impact the game more than wingers, but also reflects that the play went through Datsyuk moreso than OV. Interesting, Backstrom is a pretty good possession player, are we giving credit to the wrong player in OV?

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
If true, that just goes to show you there is a big time flaw with Corsi because Datsyuks possession time was much higher than OV could dream of. Granted he is a center, which also goes to support that centers impact the game more than wingers, but also reflects that the play went through Datsyuk moreso than OV. Interesting, Backstrom is a pretty good possession player, are we giving credit to the wrong player in OV?

Check Hart and Lindsay voting and it's obvious who the better player was. And in 07/08 Backstrom was a rookie, he didn't get put on OV's line until around half way through the season. And Datsyuk spent his fair share of time with Zetterberg in 07/08 and Hossa in 08/09, 2 much better 2 way and possession players than Backstrom. Are we giving credit to the wrong player in Datsyuk?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

This sentence makes me think you never watched OV in his prime with all these generalized statements. Datsyuk was never the best player in the league at any point during his career like OV was.

Reactions: third man in

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
This sentence makes me think you never watched OV in his prime with all these generalized statements. Datsyuk was never the best player in the league at any point during his career like OV was.

Huh? You didnt refute a single thing. Tell me honestly that Ovechkin is one of the best possession players ? Or are you just back peddling? Datsyuk was arguably the best player in 08-09 when points is all the scuffle and 2 way play is something that the casual fans gloss over because its not romantic nor is it something that can be quantified.

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Check Hart and Lindsay voting and it's obvious who the better player was. And in 07/08 Backstrom was a rookie, he didn't get put on OV's line until around half way through the season. And Datsyuk spent his fair share of time with Zetterberg in 07/08 and Hossa in 08/09, 2 much better 2 way and possession players than Backstrom. Are we giving credit to the wrong player in Datsyuk?

Lindsay and Hart voting is based off raw point totals, means nothing like how the static posters of this site try to claim their player was better 9>8 = therefore 9 is better when a plethora of other factors exist. Who said anything about 07/08 Backstrom? Where did we even pull this random number from? And where did we pull this 07/08 Z and 08/09 Hossa, or are we just cherry picking numbers to look like we have a clue and a point to some otherwise obscure point?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Ovi, he’s better and this team would be fantastic along the wing through the entire lineup.

Let’s be honest this team could win the Cup in they’re sleep... PS don’t be mad that Prime Ovi is on the second line for depth, it would most likely turn into the first line or split minutes.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler

Ovechkin Little Roslovic

Ehlers Lowry Laine

Perreault Hendricks Armia

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Lindsay and Hart voting is based off raw point totals, means nothing like how the static posters of this site try to claim their player was better 9>8 = therefore 9 is better when a plethora of other factors exist. Who said anything about 07/08 Backstrom? Where did we even pull this random number from? And where did we pull this 07/08 Z and 08/09 Hossa, or are we just cherry picking numbers to look like we have a clue and a point to some otherwise obscure point?

Hart voting is based off who the best player is. For example, Fedorov won a hart because he was the best player, not because he had the best raw numbers. Ummm, because we're talking about peak OV and you said Datsyuk was a better possession player at peak (which MJ already proved you wrong) and then you said "Backstrom is a pretty good possession player, are we giving credit to the wrong player in OV?" So if you're going to bring up who Ovechkin played with, don't say it's "cherry picking" for me to say who Datsyuk played with at his peak.

At the end of the day no one said Datsyuk was the best player. Ovechkin was voted the best by the media and his peers and Datsyuk wasn't close. That's not because of "raw pt totals", it's because Ovechkin was the better player.

Reactions: third man in

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Hart voting is based off who the best player is. For example, Fedorov won a hart because he was the best player, not because he had the best raw numbers. Ummm, because we're talking about peak OV and you said Datsyuk was a better possession player at peak (which MJ already proved you wrong) and then you said "Backstrom is a pretty good possession player, are we giving credit to the wrong player in OV?" So if you're going to bring up who Ovechkin played with, don't say it's "cherry picking" for me to say who Datsyuk played with at his peak.

At the end of the day no one said Datsyuk was the best player. Ovechkin was voted the best by the media and his peers and Datsyuk wasn't close. That's not because of "raw pt totals", it's because Ovechkin was the better player.

Datsyuk was the best player in 08-09. Look at Corsi (if you must), look at pts/60, look at ES pts/60, PP pts/60, overall team offense vs defense, and after all that plus/minus. Media and peers dont look at oh how effective he was, they dont study numbers, they look at on ice performance but mostly the basic numbers Points and goals. I prefer to look at the reason and rhyme and other factors which include raw ice time vs points, and splits between ice time whether PP or ES or SH (which Ovechkin played none of).

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Peak OV looks like best player in history of this game. It is not joke - i never saw in my life somebody close to his game 65 goals with hits whole game

Reactions: EdJovanovski

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Datsyuk was the best player in 08-09. Look at Corsi (if you must), look at pts/60, look at ES pts/60, PP pts/60, overall team offense vs defense, and after all that plus/minus. Media and peers dont look at oh how effective he was, they dont study numbers, they look at on ice performance but mostly the basic numbers Points and goals. I prefer to look at the reason and rhyme and other factors which include raw ice time vs points, and splits between ice time whether PP or ES or SH (which Ovechkin played none of).

Source?

And how much more would OV have to score to make up the difference in non-point elements? You must have a number in mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->