Speculation: Goalie to the Oilers

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The Rangers team back then was still a contender with a strong defense. It made Talbot look much better than he actually was. The current Rangers team has not been good defensively.

And Talbot’s stats were better than Hank’s.

Georgiev is a fine young goalie but not what the Oilers need... especially at the cost that bernmeister wants. You want to trade Shesterkin.... I’m sure Oilers will listen.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The Rangers team back then was still a contender with a strong defense. It made Talbot look much better than he actually was. The current Rangers team has not been good defensively.

But there in lies the problem with Georgie to the Oilers... the Oilers defense is not great. It's not like putting him on the Oilers is going to make him great. That's why he is not an ideal target, especially for the pieces Bern is asking for.

Reactions: zar and voxel

serp

Jan 17, 2016
And Talbot’s stats were better than Hank’s.

Georgiev is a fine young goalie but not what the Oilers need... especially at the cost that bernmeister wants. You want to trade Shesterkin.... I’m sure Oilers will listen.

Shesterkin is the Rangers #1 goalie going forward. They're not trading him . By the way Carter Hutton had the best numbers in the league while playing backup in St.Louis . Can't allways rely on number with backups.

Reactions: bernmeister

serp

Jan 17, 2016
But there in lies the problem with Georgie to the Oilers... the Oilers defense is not great. It's not like putting him on the Oilers is going to make him great. That's why he is not an ideal target, especially for the pieces Bern is asking for.

There's not much out there to trade for . Teams right now need two solid goalies. For anybody even half decent to get traded it will likely get a massive haul comporared to other years.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
There's not much out there to trade for . Teams right now need two solid goalies. For anybody even half decent to get traded it will likely get a massive haul comporared to other years.

Oilers aren’t selling the farm to make a run this season anyhow and the D is too young to make noise. This off-season they finally have serious cap flexibility. If I’m overpaying for a goalie... my target is John Gibson or one of the Columbus ones.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oilers aren’t selling the farm to make a run this season anyhow and the D is too young to make noise. This off-season they finally have serious cap flexibility. If I’m overpaying for a goalie... my target is John Gibson or one of the Columbus ones.

Gibson is not getting traded . The Columbus ones i don't think there's much difference between those two and Georgiev . I think they're a bit overrated because the Jackets are a very solid defensive team.

Reactions: bernmeister

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It is a fair trade IMO.
If Oil target a better goalie, the price goes up, prob way up.

Outstanding netminders are not available.
Geo is only available b'c we have the outstanding Shesty.

Sorry, but full disagree, supply and demand I think bear me out here.

Way way up! Demand! Are you a car salesman?

A Ferrari still costs Ferrari $ [$$$$$$]
Shesty is a Ferrari and worth WAY WAY more.

Geo is not Ferrari but is better than Toyota.

I'm content to deal my guy elsewhere, and we'll see if Oil go better or not, and if yes, what will that cost. If everything else is equal, a better G than Geo will cost way more than 2 2nds ish value.
Toyota, Ferrari .. Yup i guess i got my answer. Oilers got a Volvo already in Koski and arent trading in their tesla shares for a Toyota.

Reactions: zar

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Way way up! Demand! Are you a car salesman?...
No, not that there's anything wrong with that, and as the posts show, I was responding to the references provided by an Oil fan,

Toyota, Ferrari .. Yup i guess i got my answer. Oilers got a Volvo already in Koski and arent trading in their tesla shares for a Toyota.
Your assessment is off if not way off.

Holloway is a solid blue chip but he is not elite.
Hence the reference to Tesla is inaccurate.
Broberg is closer, but I wouldn't consider him Tesla either, not at this pt.
Tesla would refer to LaF, Kakko, etc.

Toyota is a solid car, but Geo is a higher rating than a typical Toyota.

If you don't want to pay market price, which you obv don't, then fine, roll with what you have, takes yer chances, and live with it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No, not that there's anything wrong with that, and as the posts show, I was responding to the references provided by an Oil fan,

Your assessment is off if not way off.

Holloway is a solid blue chip but he is not elite.
Hence the reference to Tesla is inaccurate.
Broberg is closer, but I wouldn't consider him Tesla either, not at this pt.
Tesla would refer to LaF, Kakko, etc.

Toyota is a solid car, but Geo is a higher rating than a typical Toyota.

If you don't want to pay market price, which you obv don't, then fine, roll with what you have, takes yer chances, and live with it.
I didnt say Tesla the car but Tesla stocks .. ie posession that should go up in value as time passes.

Oilers arent trading Holloway for a backup/1b goalie.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Holland is going to have to make a move for a starter, Koskinen is good but he never steals a game, and our defensive play from all skaters is too weak to prop up an average goalie, and the contract Chia handed him doesn’t help either.

Barrie (RFA this summer) has been a disappointment so far, if it continues, maybe he and other pieces (Nugent Hopkins is a UFA but also our top trade chip, so doubtful he’s part of a goalie deal) could be moved to a team with two good goalies in danger of losing one to the expansion draft, and the Oilers could give Bouchard a shot on the powerplay instead.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How is it we have these oilers threads every year in perpetuity....seems like their needs never change
Because our organization doesnt care about goaltending. They dont believe in it. They believe goalies are the product of the defense. They don't spend valuable assets in net. They are too smart for that.

I'm pretty sick of it.

Reactions: Barnaby

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Because our organization doesnt care about goaltending. They dont believe in it. They believe goalies are the product of the defense. They don't spend valuable assets in net. They are too smart for that.

I'm pretty sick of it.

This is complete nonsense that exists only in your own mind.

Maybe if you didn't make up this kind of crap you wouldn't make yourself sick?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
As an Oilers fan - we aren't getting a goalie midseason during COVID. Simple as that. Nobody is taking back Mike Smith (who we would NEED to offload) and it doesn't make sense to have a guy miss 14 days either. Let alone actually give up futures to make it happen. Let this weird ass season play out and make a decision from there.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Gibson is not getting traded . The Columbus ones i don't think there's much difference between those two and Georgiev . I think they're a bit overrated because the Jackets are a very solid defensive team.
Gibson sucks. Terrible GAA and Save percentage. Leads the league in most 4 goals against per game since last year.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I just checked NHL's website and see the goaltending league leader being this:
Mike Smith
#1 in GAA 0.500
#1 in Save % 0.985

This thread's gonna get closed soon if Mike Smith continues this hot streak.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
As an Oilers fan - we aren't getting a goalie midseason during COVID. Simple as that. Nobody is taking back Mike Smith (who we would DON'T NEED to offload) and it doesn't make sense to have a guy miss 14 days either. Let alone actually give up futures to make it happen. Let this weird ass season play out and make a decision from there.
Fixed it for you. Why would Holland unload the best goalie in the NHL now?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Depends on how high they view him vs immediate benefit of use now vs upside of long term potential and what the alternatives are.

They need a netminder NOW.
If they ignore that, this whole season could be lost.

It was a fair offer, not a swindle.

Sorry Bern,

Georgiev is not netting a blue chip prospect although I wish he could. He hasn’t proven himself to be a high level starting goalie. At best, you probably bring back a 2nd rounder.

Even if Georgiev was that good, you’re more likely to bring back a future 1st than a teams just drafted first rounder. Teams very seldom trade those guys unless there’s some crazy underlying issue (think Lias Andersson scenario). The only way the Rangers get a chance at Holloway is if you’re talking a Zibanejad, Lafreniere, Shesterkin, or a Fox or Miller. Obviously, in that scenario, the Rangers say no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad