Speculation: Goalie to the Oilers

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It would seem like the Oilers could be in a potential jam with Smith out and a potentially immediate solution as well as originally intended 3rd stringer Forsberg now with the Jets and likely staying on the main roster there.

Grosenick is now on waivers, but I'm assuming he'll have to quarantine for 14 days if the Oilers claim him?

They could sign a UFA, but I'm assuming unless that goalie is already in Canada, they would also need to wait 14 days.

Same goes for a trade, where they'd be limited to the 6 other Canadian teams for a more immediate solution.

So if they hypothetically wanted to bring someone in to help ASAP, what could they do?

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Their first back-to-back is 30th of Jan so if they get a goalie now they can survive 14 days.

Reactions: banks

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don’t know if it’s possible, but what if there was a deal with Vegas based around MAF and Neal? The adds on both sides to equal it out would have to be worked out but I feel like MAF would bump Koskinen out as 1A.

Neal wasn’t good in Calgary and has been alright in Edmonton.. maybe he’d be willing to go to Vegas?

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I don’t know if it’s possible, but what if there was a deal with Vegas based around MAF and Neal? The adds on both sides to equal it out would have to be worked out but I feel like MAF would bump Koskinen out as 1A.

Neal wasn’t good in Calgary and has been alright in Edmonton.. maybe he’d be willing to go to Vegas?

Would love for this to happen from an EDM perspective. Would need to take some work to fit him in the cap though as I don't think Vegas would want to retain anything if they're taking Neal

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017

Won’t Vegas need a goalie?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Won’t Vegas need a goalie?
Lehner is definitely capable of handling a big load and they just gave him a large contract so I wouldn't be surprised if they were okay with moving MAF

That said I'd rather just keep Neal. Yeah he is overpaid but he only has 2 years left after this half season and he was probably the Oilers 4th best forward last year. He also was really good in the play-ins

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm sure Montreal can work a deal around Charlie Lindgren ;)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Why would Vegas take a worse contract to trade a still useful player for a less useful one?

Reactions: go4hockey

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Would love for this to happen from an EDM perspective. Would need to take some work to fit him in the cap though as I don't think Vegas would want to retain anything if they're taking Neal

I think the Oilers can fit MAF because of LTIR and he’s only 1.25M more expensive.

I’m not sure I’d do it. Only if Smith is on the shelf long term. We need Neal so we can punt Khaira and Chiasson to the AHL.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015

You mean go back to Vegas?

Reactions: banks

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
In the offseason John Shannon said Fleury wouldn't waive his NTC for the Oilers, but I don't know if he was just speculating.

The Oilers have never had good goaltending in the McDavid era. Doesn't seem to matter who's in net. Oiler's goalies suck. Just get the zamboni driver from Toronto who's undefeated.
Talbot was real good in 2016-17. The wheels came off after, though.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
He's a .900 sv% goalie in the ECHL. Worse than that in the AHL.

Giving him a game isn't a realistic option if they want to win.
not like guys like Hammond or Binnington were elite when they were thrown in
Hammond took Ottawa to how many wins few years ago?
Binnington became elite in NHL before AHL

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Lehner is definitely capable of handling a big load

442629f2612c9761db2f976219eae9e0.jpeg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
not like guys like Hammond or Binnington were elite when they were thrown in
Hammond took Ottawa to how many wins few years ago?
Binnington became elite in NHL before AHL
Might as well sign our Zamboni driver while we are at it. Planning on freak one of a kind scenario like happened with Hammond to repeat itself with Skinner is a recipe for a guaranteed loss.

Binnington absolutely was elite in the AHL prior to his NHL run btw.

Holland needs to fix this problem.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I imagine they'll claim Dell when the Leafs have to waive him.

At this point, they don't have to. It basically comes down to the Leafs having an injury, before Dell needs to be waived. Given the Leafs and Oilers play four times this month, it seems highly doubtful, that the Leafs would provide the Oilers any help, by putting him on waivers, knowing he's likely to be claimed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->