Speculation: Goalie to the Oilers

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I find it amusing that the "impotent" offence you talk of has scored 11 goals in 3 games compared to the almighty McDrai train in Edmonton that has scored 10 goals in 4 games.

Sarcasm detector brokeh?

Columbus would be a mistake, IMO. They have system goalies.

Putting them into a bad defensive system pretty much guarantees disaster.

So what is an easier fix for the Oilers then? Finding a non-systems goalie, or firing Tippett and improving the system?

Reactions: Rubi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm kind of warming up to the idea of throwing Grosenick a few starts. Strong AHL numbers, 3 of the last four years .919 or better.

Once he's done quarantine, throw him in against the least scary offense you can find - Calgary maybe, or Ottawa - and see what happens.

Pardon the pun, but that's trial by fire. The BOA are not normal regular season games.

Grosenick either stinks or swims. If he looks like butt, it's because he likely will be spending his 3rd, 4th or whatevereth NHL game with Tkachuk's ass in his face.

I mean, by all means, go for it. But it seems like a hell of a gamble and uphill battle from the Oilers and Grosenick's POV from the get go.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Pardon the pun, but that's trial by fire. The BOA are not normal regular season games.

Grosenick either stinks or swims. If he looks like butt, it's because he likely will be spending his 3rd, 4th or whatevereth NHL game with Tkachuk's ass in his face.

I mean, by all means, go for it. But it seems like a hell of a gamble and uphill battle from the Oilers and Grosenick's POV from the get go.

Meh, bank on some adrenaline kicking in. We're kind of stuck, we play the Leafs four times in the next six games. Though there is a documented history of Toronto blowing it against unexpected goalies, so might be worth a shot.

I'm kind of looking forward to Kassian losing his mind on Tkachuk and getting suspended again, god knows he hasn't done anything positive yet this season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So what is an easier fix for the Oilers then? Finding a non-systems goalie, or firing Tippett and improving the system?

I say to avoid CBJ just because they're an extreme example of having system goalies. They face an incredibly easy workload. Same thing for goalies in Minnesota. Take one away from either of those teams and they're going to fall off a cliff.

To answer your question, I'd say they have to do both. Improve team defense and get a decent goalie.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Columbus would be a mistake, IMO. They have system goalies.

Putting them into a bad defensive system pretty much guarantees disaster.

Depends on acquisition cost. System or not I like Columbus's goalies better than either of Edmonton's. Plus Tippett is a good system coach.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Meh, bank on some adrenaline kicking in. We're kind of stuck, we play the Leafs four times in the next six games. Though there is a documented history of Toronto blowing it against unexpected goalies, so might be worth a shot.

I'm kind of looking forward to Kassian losing his mind on Tkachuk and getting suspended again, god knows he hasn't done anything positive yet this season.

To be fair to you. Grosenick has funny numbers. IDK why I get slight Binnington vibes looking at those stats because they're not the same. If you want to put a decent bet double zero in roulette, Grosenick isn't a bad one to select to be your double zero. He has an NHL SV% of .948 in two games five years ago!

I say to avoid CBJ just because they're an extreme example of having system goalies. They face an incredibly easy workload. Same thing for goalies in Minnesota. Take one away from either of those teams and they're going to fall off a cliff.

To answer your question, I'd say they have to do both. Improve team defense and get a decent goalie.

Why not both? Trade for a CBJ goalie and hire Torts the moment Torts is fired. :naughty:

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Lehner is definitely capable of handling a big load and they just gave him a large contract so I wouldn't be surprised if they were okay with moving MAF

That said I'd rather just keep Neal. Yeah he is overpaid but he only has 2 years left after this half season and he was probably the Oilers 4th best forward last year. He also was really good in the play-ins
TMI

Reactions: Barnaby

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Maybe if he brings half the team too haha.

Tippett was supposed to be a defensive mastermind too and we've seen how that's going.

You guys were top in the West not too long ago... but the problem is that a playbook is being developed on your team and Tippett isn't staying ahead of those counter playbooks fast enough. But at the same time, if he's being given the same roster year after year with nothing new to address the Achilles heel, what else can he or any other coach do?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I find it amusing that the "impotent" offence you talk of has scored 11 goals in 3 games compared to the almighty McDrai train in Edmonton that has scored 10 goals in 4 games.
LOL... I was going to respond to you with an explanation but I see its already been done. Have a nice day. :thumbu:

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
K'AM is not available. Buch is, for market value, no more, not less.

In prior times there were variations on a theme around
Buch + Geo + possibly something else
for
Broberg + possibly cap dump Neal

Not sure that can work w/existing cap for Oil and fact NY has little to spare.
However, I have an open mind if you want to suggest something that is worthwhile for NYR.

I never said it was straight up... but I was being proactive to avoid this garbaggio.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm a Flames fan. I'd do something around Buchnevich and Miller for Monahan. Lots of Rags fans were proposing Lundqvist instead, but in my limited WJHC viewings he hasn't looked good in his own end.

Thanks for the courtesy advisory.
Short response courtesy reply in kind, but no further given subject of this thread.

1. No interest in moving bluest chip elcs at present. We will need to maintain cap w/Zib getting raise I believe season after this.

2. b'c he is a large salary, no interest in Monahan generally, unless it uniquely made sense e.g., was like something around Buch + Deangelo for Mon.

-------------

Getting back to this thread, Georgiev is available w/w'o Buch, to EDM, but not as a giveaway.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I never said it was straight up... but I was being proactive to avoid this garbaggio.

Depending on the + or any other benefit to Oil, that is not such a garbage prop.

You want to try for a different core, by all means go for it.
Per CF Broberg is unused surplus atm -- not to imply he is garbage by any means, I'm just correctly noting that for one reason or another he is not on either varsity or taxi squad.

Buch + Geo would be immediate help.

Of course, some $ has to go to NY for cap, so any likely deal is prob problematic.

But the point remains.
Unless acceptably high draft picks are on the table, nyr would not have interest in most other assets besides Broberg.

--------
Oil are not the only ones at this crossroads.
Either you make due with what you have or you pay for help.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Depending on the + or any other benefit to Oil, that is not such a garbage prop.

You want to try for a different core, by all means go for it.
Per CF Broberg is unused surplus atm -- not to imply he is garbage by any means, I'm just correctly noting that for one reason or another he is not on either varsity or taxi squad.

Buch + Geo would be immediate help.

Of course, some $ has to go to NY for cap, so any likely deal is prob problematic.

But the point remains.
Unless acceptably high draft picks are on the table, nyr would not have interest in most other assets besides Broberg.

--------
Oil are not the only ones at this crossroads.
Either you make due with what you have or you pay for help.

Unless there is a slew of trades, the Oilers aren't one Georgiev away from winning the cup. Trading away a high valued prospect to get him and Buch doesn't solve the problem that we currently have no legit top pairing defensemen. Nurse is a borderline 2, more like a 3 and the Klefbom injury is a massive back breaker.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Unless there is a slew of trades, the Oilers aren't one Georgiev away from winning the cup. Trading away a high valued prospect to get him and Buch doesn't solve the problem that we currently have no legit top pairing defensemen. Nurse is a borderline 2, more like a 3 and the Klefbom injury is a massive back breaker.

That's fair enough but what I can tell you.
Those are the cards you have, I didn't deal them to you.
Either you play them and takes yer chances, or you pay to get a new hand.

I agree losing Klef is huge.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Losing badly on a trade because we are desperate is not the solution. It screams "Larsson for Hall" all over again and I hope the Oilers learned from that debacle to not do it again for a temporary, short term benefit.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Seems to me that the Rangers are struggling. Looks like they are also playing with the hand that they were dealt. I don't see Edmonton dealing their best D prospect for an "ok" goalie and Buch.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Losing badly on a trade because we are desperate is not the solution. It screams "Larsson for Hall" all over again and I hope the Oilers learned from that debacle to not do it again for a temporary, short term benefit.
No argument on the bold.
Rangers went through their own period of this w/stupid deals for Eric Staal, etc.; hopefully those lessons are not soon forgotten.

My only dissent here is the extreme underrating of Buchnevich, the core piece of compensation, with other value adding in Geo and something else to be determined.
Obv, I think Broberg is worth it or I wouldn't be interested in a deal. But that said, let us pls be honest. The value of Broberg today in advance of the fact is less today than it likely will be in a season at min, more likely two. That means yeah, he would fetch more later, but commands comparatively less now.

Now whether or not he should be traded at all, now or later, is a legit separate ?; clearly dealing Nurse/Klef now was not an option now.

The Klef injury, I also acknowledge, complicates things immensely.
Past coupla seasons, it's been Ws, Ws, Ws, Oil looking to add Wingers.

Short term, however, w/D depth depleted/strained, there are other immediate needs.

Seems to me that the Rangers are struggling. Looks like they are also playing with the hand that they were dealt. I don't see Edmonton dealing their best D prospect for an "ok" goalie and Buch.
Rangers are hot and cold atm. They were last year w/a worse club, then were best club in league for like 2-3 wks before injury and missing the playoffs.
This season will be one of learning how to compete and gel before contending next season.

IMO they just need to deal excess vets and get down to a real core and they will be rockin and rollin soon enough,

Geo is hot and cold as well. Will he stonewall clubs like Isles, or offensive powerhouse like Leafs; or get lit up for 4 or better like improved Devils or also Leafs? No guarantee, but that he already has ability to pitch shutouts suggests with ever improving D he is already more than okay, and will continue to improve.
Again Buch underrated. At min is strong 2nd line W who plays w/first line
Zib and Kreider. He is less and less emerging and more and more has already arrived. Dominant star level? No. Solidly productive? Yes.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yes, blowing the zone early would be specifically what I see from them. I also see a lack of awareness in who they should be picking up (which is excusable to an extent). Yes, I'd call Nurse an all situations top 4. He does lack defensive awareness, but he's really strong on the puck and moves very well for his size.

I saw your post in the other thread. Drai clearly blew the zone early on Boeser's goal, but it certainly is not something he typically does. He's usually the guy digging deep into that puck battle and last out of the zone. McD for his part IS OUR breakout, 8/10 times he's on the ice he's the one with the puck on his stick and he's typically picking it up below the hash marks, so the assessment is off here as well IMO. There are elements of their D-play that need improvement, that's certain, but it isn't that they aren't in the zone or are leaving it early.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
My only dissent here is the extreme underrating of Buchnevich, the core piece of compensation, with other value adding in Geo and something else to be determined.

My comments were not intended to be disrespectful to Buch. I don't know him well enough to comment on his value. But in a trade where we are trading arguably our top prospect and the main player we are getting back does not fill either of our most glaring holes (top pairing D or starting goalie), there is no point. Not to mention the fact that he is a pending RFA, looking for a raise from $3.25 mill.

Broberg is a non-starter unless he is part of a larger trade to land a top pairing defencemen or a proven starting goalie.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->