bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How's this:

step 1:
J Johnson + B Smith
for
Stralman + FL 2021 2nd

rationale: Panthers want to get rid of Stal's extra year, and the 2nd is current value for 5+m 1 yr cap hit. JJ + BS both expiring cancel this yr w/Stral's current contract year, and although JJ is toast, while overpriced, Smith can handle 4th line w/grit for FL

Rangers are on the hook for Stralman's 5+ next season -- unless he is traded --- but Rangers have cap coming off the books so can handle that next yr
--------

step 2
FL 2021 2nd + Georgiev
for
rights to Holloway and mutually agreeable small cap dump

Oil don't have a 2nd, so they get one, + they get immediate help who challenges to start in net.

Rangers lose a pick and a netminder [they have enough depth there] and while Dylan H doesn't project as a C, he is at this pt mid round first value, w/full elc and is exp dr exempt.

thoughts?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
How's this:

step 1:
J Johnson + B Smith
for
Stralman + FL 2021 2nd

rationale: Panthers want to get rid of Stal's extra year, and the 2nd is current value for 5+m 1 yr cap hit. JJ + BS both expiring cancel this yr w/Stral's current contract year, and although JJ is toast, while overpriced, Smith can handle 4th line w/grit for FL

Rangers are on the hook for Stralman's 5+ next season -- unless he is traded --- but Rangers have cap coming off the books so can handle that next yr
--------

step 2
FL 2021 2nd + Georgiev
for
rights to Holloway
and mutually agreeable small cap dump

Oil don't have a 2nd, so they get one, + they get immediate help who challenges to start in net.

Rangers lose a pick and a netminder [they have enough depth there] and while Dylan H doesn't project as a C, he is at this pt mid round first value, w/full elc and is exp dr exempt.

thoughts?

Bern... the Oilers just drafted Holloway in the first round of this past draft. Are they likely to deal him for a goalie and a 2nd? Geeez.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
How is Skinner being written off so quick? Guy hasn't even had a chance yet this year

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
How is Skinner being written off so quick? Guy hasn't even had a chance yet this year
Because the Oilers fan base is a what have you done for me lately and Skinner was subpar on a very bad Bako team last year.

Management doesn’t seem to have much trust in him yet or they likely wouldn’t be scrambling to find another goalie and also running Koskinen in the ground to start the season.

Skinner is just 22 still though, and I’d expect him to have a solid season in Bako this season.

If the fan base wasn’t so hot over the slow start I would have presumed he would get a start or 2, but the fan base is like 1 loss away already from torching Rogers place

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How is it we have these oilers threads every year in perpetuity....seems like their needs never change
For the longest time it was #1C.
Then it shifted to top pairing RD.

Its been wingers the last couple yrs.

Goaltending is somewhat new mainly because Smith (1b) is out on LTIR

Reactions: ujju2 and bucks_oil

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern... the Oilers just drafted Holloway in the first round of this past draft. Are they likely to deal him for a goalie and a 2nd? Geeez.

Depends on how high they view him vs immediate benefit of use now vs upside of long term potential and what the alternatives are.

They need a netminder NOW.
If they ignore that, this whole season could be lost.

It was a fair offer, not a swindle.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Depends on how high they view him vs immediate benefit of use now vs upside of long term potential and what the alternatives are.

I think the offer would be fair for Shesterkin. Not a fan of Georgiev.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

That isn't a fair trade from and Oilers perspective. They'd target a better goalie than Georgiev. The team needs depth at the forward position and aren't very likely to deal the kid they just drafted for that position.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Because the Oilers fan base is a what have you done for me lately and Skinner was subpar on a very bad Bako team last year.

Management doesn’t seem to have much trust in him yet or they likely wouldn’t be scrambling to find another goalie and also running Koskinen in the ground to start the season.

Skinner is just 22 still though, and I’d expect him to have a solid season in Bako this season.

If the fan base wasn’t so hot over the slow start I would have presumed he would get a start or 2, but the fan base is like 1 loss away already from torching Rogers place

Skinner is more of a what have you done ever than a what have you done lately.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

That pressure you are attributing to the Oilers must also be on the Rangers. Do something fast or the whole season could be lost!

Shall I make an underwhelming offer for Lafreniere?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think the offer would be fair for Shesterkin. Not a fan of Georgiev.

If you don't like Geo, fine, that's you.
Shesterkin is real deal very high end netminder already.
That chunk of games towards end of last season demonstrated that.

Shesty is so good, we prob resisted overtures for him in a package involving 2OA (Byfield).

No, the offer I propped is correct.
for Geo
Not Shesty.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That isn't a fair trade from and Oilers perspective. They'd target a better goalie than Georgiev. The team needs depth at the forward position and aren't very likely to deal the kid they just drafted for that position.

It is a fair trade IMO.
If Oil target a better goalie, the price goes up, prob way up.

Outstanding netminders are not available.
Geo is only available b'c we have the outstanding Shesty.

Sorry, but full disagree, supply and demand I think bear me out here.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That pressure you are attributing to the Oilers must also be on the Rangers. Do something fast or the whole season could be lost!

Shall I make an underwhelming offer for Lafreniere?

Not underwhelming for Holloway.
He was a mid 1st rounder.
Today he is nothing more, nothing less.
And Holloway is not immediately ready, arguably.
The offer was a good NHL ready goalie immediately available who is worth a 2nd + to which NY adds another 2nd.

get real.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Not underwhelming for Holloway.
He was a mid 1st rounder.
Today he is nothing more, nothing less.
And Holloway is not immediately ready, arguably.
The offer was a good NHL ready goalie immediately available who is worth a 2nd + to which NY adds another 2nd.

get real.

Bern that is a poor trade for a prospect the Oilers literally just drafted. Of course I won't make an underwhelming trade for Lafreniere. I wouldn't insult you.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern that is a poor trade for a prospect the Oilers literally just drafted. Of course I won't make an underwhelming trade for Lafreniere. I wouldn't insult you.

The fact H was just drafted is irrelevant.
He is currently mid first value. [ballpark]

As is par for the course, we agree to disagree.
peace out

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If you don't like Geo, fine, that's you.
Shesterkin is real deal very high end netminder already.
That chunk of games towards end of last season demonstrated that.

Shesty is so good, we prob resisted overtures for him in a package involving 2OA (Byfield).

No, the offer I propped is correct.
for Geo
Not Shesty.

Georgiev doesn't move any needles for the Oilers so I can't see them offering prospects like Holloway. I think even a 2nd rounder for him is a high price. Nobody is offering Ferrari prices for a Toyota.

Shesty is definitely worth the price.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Georgiev doesn't move any needles for the Oilers so I can't see them offering prospects like Holloway. I think even a 2nd rounder for him is a high price. Nobody is offering Ferrari prices for a Toyota.

Shesty is definitely worth the price.

A Ferrari still costs Ferrari $ [$$$$$$]
Shesty is a Ferrari and worth WAY WAY more.

Geo is not Ferrari but is better than Toyota.

I'm content to deal my guy elsewhere, and we'll see if Oil go better or not, and if yes, what will that cost. If everything else is equal, a better G than Geo will cost way more than 2 2nds ish value.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
A Ferrari still costs Ferrari $ [$$$$$$]
Shesty is a Ferrari and worth WAY WAY more.

Geo is not Ferrari but is better than Toyota.

I'm content to deal my guy elsewhere, and we'll see if Oil go better or not, and if yes, what will that cost. If everything else is equal, a better G than Geo will cost way more than 2 2nds ish value.

Geo might be worth more than a 2nd... but not to the Oilers. He's probably worth more to the Rangers than anybody else.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Geo might be worth more than a 2nd... but not to the Oilers. He's probably worth more to the Rangers than anybody else.

He's def worth what I stated.
If EDM feels it doesn't want to go there, or doesn't want to make that currency available, so be it.
I just realized that Holloway was with Oil and they do not yet have a big investment in him, and he would be the one other piece I'd consider besides Broberg

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He's def worth what I stated.
If EDM feels it doesn't want to go there, or doesn't want to make that currency available, so be it.
I just realized that Holloway was with Oil and they do not yet have a big investment in him, and he would be the one other piece I'd consider besides Broberg

Too unproven. Let's talk in two years when he is a starter and when Holloway has signed an NHL deal and putting up points in the NHL/AHL.

A waiver wire goalie is basically what Georgiev can provide today.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Too unproven. Let's talk in two years when he is a starter and when Holloway has signed an NHL deal and putting up points in the NHL/AHL.

A waiver wire goalie is basically what Georgiev can provide today.

Georgiev is younger and has played more games than Cam Talbot when the Oilers traded a 2nd , 3rd and 6th round pick for him in 2015 ( 7th went back to the Oilers ) .

Talbot was already 28 at the time and only had 57 games of NHL experience in 2 years as Lundqvists backup. Georgiev is 24 and played 79 games over 4 season.

Georgiev is very much worth a 2nd round pick at the very least especially with how much value goalies seemingly now have.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Georgiev is younger and has played more games than Cam Talbot when the Oilers traded a 2nd , 3rd and 6th round pick for him in 2015 ( 7th went back to the Oilers ) .

Talbot was already 28 at the time and only had 57 games of NHL experience in 2 years as Lundqvists backup. Georgiev is 24 and played 79 games over 4 season.

Georgiev is very much worth a 2nd round pick at the very least especially with how much value goalies seemingly now have.

Talbot's stats were significantly better than Georgiev's .. closer to Shesterkins. This is why I prefer Shesterkin.

upload_2021-1-22_16-36-54.png

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Talbot's stats were significantly better than Georgiev's .. closer to Shesterkins. This is why I prefer Shesterkin.

View attachment 387067

The Rangers team back then was still a contender with a strong defense. It made Talbot look much better than he actually was. The current Rangers team has not been good defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad