Speculation: Goalie to the Oilers

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
With the quarantine time on any trade they're kind of screwed and basically just have to hope Koskinen is alright because I don't think they're getting any help from the kids. None of Skinner, Wells or Rodrigue seem likely to help the Oilers this year if ever.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Koskinen gets a ton of disrespect but he’s league avg tendy.

Just gotta ride it out maybe give Skinner/rods a game and keep an eye on WW, I’m sure someone tries to sneak a goalie through next week

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Out of curiosity, what would the oilers give up for Andersen if the Leafs get off to a rough start and decide to let him go? He’s a bit of a slow starter and coming off a down year but he’s probably still an upgrade on anything the Oilers have had since Cujo. I have some names in mind but I’ll keep them to myself until I see what your fan base thinks of him value wise in order to avoid irritating your fan base.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Jimmy Howard is sill out there i think. Other than that not much available.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Out of curiosity, what would the oilers give up for Andersen if the Leafs get off to a rough start and decide to let him go? He’s a bit of a slow starter and coming off a down year but he’s probably still an upgrade on anything the Oilers have had since Cujo. I have some names in mind but I’ll keep them to myself until I see what your fan base thinks of him value wise in order to avoid irritating your fan base.

Not enough to entice the Leaf fan base. We wouldn’t be moving a high pick or blue chipper for a goalie who’s a pending UFA. As someone mentioned Larsson could be had but I doubt the Leafs want a pending UFA D especially if they are selling due to a bad season start.

Reactions: CarlWising

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Not enough to entice the Leaf fan base. We wouldn’t be moving a high pick or blue chipper for a goalie who’s a pending UFA. As someone mentioned Larsson could be had but I doubt the Leafs want a pending UFA D especially if they are selling due to a bad season start.
Honestly I think the oilers should go after Georgiev and I think they have a lot of interest in him. He’s proved a lot, is young and won’t be a starter with shesty in NY. I don’t expect he would cost a fortune, as goalies don’t carry that kind of value. Maybe a 2nd and a middle 6 prospect or something, unless it’s part of a bigger deal between EDM and NY such as Buch+ Georgi to oil and ???? To NY. I have no idea. But both teams have a pretty good trading history and Alex for sure would make the oilers harder to play against. This is a deadline move at the earliest probably though

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So Koskinen is playing 3 in 4 nights today then?

Who else are the Oilers going to play ? Their goaltending depth is horrible. They just claimed a 31 year old who last played in the NHL more than 5 years ago on waivers. That should tell you where the Oilers are at with their goalteding depth.

The two prospects goalies they have under contract have not put up good numbers in AHL or ECHL either .

Reactions: Captain97

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
So Koskinen is playing 3 in 4 nights today then?

To start the season is ok. He's fresh and way better option than Smith. Travel schedule is way better with Canadian division, which helps.

Will be bigger issue if they can't get him some rest in a few weeks.

Reactions: Captain97

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Who else are the Oilers going to play ? Their goaltending depth is horrible. They just claimed a 31 year old who last played in the NHL more than 5 years ago on waivers. That should tell you where the Oilers are at with their goalteding depth.

The two prospects goalies they have under contract have not put up good numbers in AHL or ECHL either .

The only good prospect is in the KHL and the best prospect (Starrett) got injured a year ago and basically fell off a cliff. He was part of the 17 AHL game win streak that almost broke many records.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The only good prospect is in the KHL and the best prospect (Starrett) got injured a year ago and basically fell off a cliff. He was part of the 17 AHL game win streak that almost broke many records.

I was just looking at guys the Oilers currently have under contract . Shane Starrett doesn't seem to be ( anymore ? Seems to be playing ECHL right now ) and Konovalov is in the KHL like you said and has no signed with the Oilers yet.

The Oilers goaltending behind Koskinen is well to put it mildly not great and that was with Smith not injured.

They better hope Koskinen doesn't get burned out until Smith is back or they find someone even remotely NHL caliber.

I don't know how comfortable i would be with Stuard Skinner , Olivier Rodrigue , Dylan Wells and newly aquired Troy Grosenik as backup options.

Koskinen is decent but he usually gets burned out after too many games and right now there ain't a rest in sight for him.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Wells is garbage. Skinner might be okay as a backup but he is not starter material.

Starrett was not resigned. Last season he couldn’t stay healthy and when he returned off and on he was bleeding goals and I don’t recall him playing regularly.

The AHL goalies I saw play well were Cal Petersen and Francouz. Of course both are now in the NHL.

Kosko is actually a decent goalie but workload is an issue.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Honestly, it's actually a great idea... he's as good as Koski and better than Smith. His salary is the problem but he's clearly done in Calgary as Markstrom will get the majority of the starts. I 'think' that Calgary is fine with their third goalie playing spot duty. Might be the best return they'll ever get for him. Just not sure Oil have anything to give to Calgary to make salary swap even.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Wells is garbage. Skinner might be okay as a backup but he is not starter material.

Starrett was not resigned. Last season he couldn’t stay healthy and when he returned off and on he was bleeding goals and I don’t recall him playing regularly.

The AHL goalies I saw play well were Cal Petersen and Francouz. Of course both are now in the NHL.

Kosko is actually a decent goalie but workload is an issue.

Yeah but Petersen was a well regarded prospect and Francouz one of the best KHL goalies .

Grosenik is 31 and has been in the AHL for a long time now. Bit of a difference there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Honestly I think the oilers should go after Georgiev and I think they have a lot of interest in him. He’s proved a lot, is young and won’t be a stater with shesty in NY. I don’t expect he would cost a fortune, as goalies don’t carry that kind of value. Maybe a 2nd and a middle 6 prospect or something, unless it’s part of a bigger deal between EDM and NY such as Buch+ Georgi to oil and ???? To NY. I have no idea. But both teams have a pretty good trading history and Alex for sure would make the oilers harder to play against. This is a deadline move at the earliest probably though

I've heard this somewhere before...

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Claim Dell. He's maybe the best free option out there.

I barely leave my house. Do we have interprovincial COVID quarantine requirements?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Honestly, it's actually a great idea... he's as good as Koski and better than Smith. His salary is the problem but he's clearly done in Calgary as Markstrom will get the majority of the starts. I 'think' that Calgary is fine with their third goalie playing spot duty. Might be the best return they'll ever get for him. Just not sure Oil have anything to give to Calgary to make salary swap even.
You need a good backup in a condensed year. Moving Rittich would be a massive mistake

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Claim Dell. He's maybe the best free option out there.

I barely leave my house. Do we have interprovincial COVID quarantine requirements?
Lots of moves I expect will be made between teams in division which sucks tbh but with Covid-19 that's reality.

You not gonna wait 2 weeks for player to isolate, when valuable games are being played.

With Dell, I think the Oil are hoping they can claim him and have him meet up with team on Wednesday when they play in Toronto. That would be an interesting situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad