Speculation: Goalie to the Oilers

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Holland continues to fail the Oilers, they always seem to realise their missing pieces when the season starts.
The guy in love with the Oilers. One wonders what bitter existence a person has that literally jumps into any Oilers thread (Usually to smile at any bad news) at the bat of an eye lol. You probably have some script running that notifies you. That's how bad you always come off lolll.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The Oilers have never had good goaltending in the McDavid era. Doesn't seem to matter who's in net. Oiler's goalies suck. Just get the zamboni driver from Toronto who's undefeated.
Koskinen has played just fine in back to back nights so I don't know what you're talking about. He was also just fine last year.

If you want to point to 4 play-in games while ignoring the other 71 games don't bother.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Schneider hasn’t hit waivers yet right ?

Doesn't appear he's hit waivers yet.

On one hand, getting claimed by Edmonton might give Schneider a better chance of getting his NHL career back on track as he's unlikely to see any playing time this season with the Islanders. On the other hand, I think part of the reason he chose to sign with the Islanders was so he wouldn't have to uproot his family as both Long Island and Bridgport, CT (Islanders AHL affiliate) are both within a couple hours of his NJ home.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Koskinen has played just fine in back to back nights so I don't know what you're talking about.
In a condensed season where there a lot of back-to-backs it becomes increasingly difficult for a goalie to stay rested and sharp. There has to be someone who can come in and play one of those two games and give the starter a rest so that they have the endurance to help a team make it through the playoffs.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
In a condensed season where there a lot of back-to-backs it becomes increasingly difficult for a goalie to stay rested and sharp. There has to be someone who can come in and play one of those two games and give the starter a rest so that they have the endurance to help a team make it through the playoffs.
Oh I don't disagree with you at all. But this narrative that Mikko Koskinen is a horrible goalie that can't hack it in the NHL is ridiculous. That's what I was responding to.

Looks to be average at worst, which is in line with most teams in the league.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Put me in coach! I don't even need to quarantine and my goalie gear is still pretty much brand new.

Seriously, there might not be a great option and until Smith's status is clearly articulated, I think you sit tight.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
If you are looking for someone that doesn’t need the 14day Quarantine, I’d say either Lindgren from MTL or Hutch from Toronto

Maybe work out a deal where they acquire him and then Send him back once they get back to full strength or acquire another #2/3 that clears his quarantine (normally the NHL would frown on that, but I feel like this season that’s the kinda thing that may be needed a time or two)

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I wonder if Holland will go after Sparks, I think he is still in Canada. Not a good option, but may be a better option than Skinner.

Reactions: voxel

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It would seem like the Oilers could be in a potential jam with Smith out and a potentially immediate solution as well as originally intended 3rd stringer Forsberg now with the Jets and likely staying on the main roster there.

Grosenick is now on waivers, but I'm assuming he'll have to quarantine for 14 days if the Oilers claim him?

They could sign a UFA, but I'm assuming unless that goalie is already in Canada, they would also need to wait 14 days.

Same goes for a trade, where they'd be limited to the 6 other Canadian teams for a more immediate solution.

So if they hypothetically wanted to bring someone in to help ASAP, what could they do?

Georgiev IMO can be had but NY needs a reason to move him.
Like adequate at minimum profit in a deal.

I don’t know if it’s possible, but what if there was a deal with Vegas based around MAF and Neal? The adds on both sides to equal it out would have to be worked out but I feel like MAF would bump Koskinen out as 1A.

Neal wasn’t good in Calgary and has been alright in Edmonton.. maybe he’d be willing to go to Vegas?

from EDM perspective, MAF is an interesting gamble if he can be had cheap enuf,, which I expect is likely; but this is also assuming roughly max retention by Vegas, as he is 7 x2.
But he is also a big gamble in that he is up there, and his game is largely superior reflexes, and if those go overnight, it won't be pretty.

But other side of it, Vegas has less than zero interest in MAF for Neal.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Oilers have never had good goaltending in the McDavid era. Doesn't seem to matter who's in net. Oiler's goalies suck. Just get the zamboni driver from Toronto who's undefeated.
It's because the Oilers org and even fans dont believe in goaltending, that its mostly the product of defense. The Oilers don't use good picks on goalies and development has been a gong show as well

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Subtleskater

Dec 31, 2020
What would a deal look like for Rask or Gibson? I feel like getting another 2/3 goalie is just putting a Band-Aid on a large cut that is the Oilers lack of goaltending

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Lehner is definitely capable of handling a big load and they just gave him a large contract so I wouldn't be surprised if they were okay with moving MAF

That said I'd rather just keep Neal. Yeah he is overpaid but he only has 2 years left after this half season and he was probably the Oilers 4th best forward last year. He also was really good in the play-ins

Take an extra year on a bad contract while giving up an advantage of having 2 strong goalies in a really condensed schedule. Easy no.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He's a .900 sv% goalie in the ECHL. Worse than that in the AHL.

Giving him a game isn't a realistic option if they want to win.

Sometimes goalie stats in the minors can be a bit misleading. I know a lot of Devils, myself included, thought Mackenzie Blackwood was a lost cause after he posted a combined .897 sv% over three AHL seasons which included a brief demotion to the ECHL. We didn't think to grade on a curve given how putrid our AHL team was as a whole.

I remember when Carter Hart first was getting traction in the NHL, there was an article where the author wondered why Hart was posting better numbers in the NHL than he had been as an AHL rookie. I forget if it was a quote from Hart or somebody else, but it was something to the effect of "defensive breakdowns are much more egregious in the minors and goalies can get hung out to dry."

Cal Petersen's another guy who has posted better NHL numbers than he did in the AHL, albeit a smaller sample size. At least with minor league goalies, it might not be an apples to apples comparison going from team to team.

Not to insinuate that Skinner is a surefire NHLer by any means. But I'd give him a little more leeway. His .892 sv% last season in the AHL understandably doesn't inspire confidence, but it was better than the other two AHL netminders in Bakersfield; Shane Starrett posted .874 and Dylan Wells was .878.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Cal Petersen's another guy who has posted better NHL numbers than he did in the AHL, albeit a smaller sample size. At least with minor league goalies, it might not be an apples to apples comparison going from team to team.

Not to insinuate that Skinner is a surefire NHLer by any means. But I'd give him a little more leeway. His .892 sv% last season in the AHL understandably doesn't inspire confidence, but it was better than the other two AHL netminders in Bakersfield; Shane Starrett posted .874 and Dylan Wells was .878.

Cal Petersen was a wall when the Condors played against the Reign.. they'd pepper him with shots (40-50) and he'd only let in a few that weren't his fault.

Skinner and Wells are not NHL-calibre. Starrett was... that one season where the Condors went on a 17 game win streak. He was a wall himself but he got injured and basically for a year was terribad.

Reactions: Brodeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad