Goalie situation, summer 2022

Deleted member 336773

There are two things about Vanecek worth considering that make him more attractive than the previous options:

(1) He's young
(2) He has no injury history

This means we're far, far less likely to have him collapse mid-season the way our last two 1B options have.
Damn you! Why’d you’d have to go and say that? Youve cursed him now….. quick, someone sacrifice a chicken, or Pour a drink to Jobu. we can fix this!

Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
There are two things about Vanecek worth considering that make him more attractive than the previous options:

(1) He's young
(2) He has no injury history

This means we're far, far less likely to have him collapse mid-season the way our last two 1B options have.
(3) His total earning are below 2m, i think, which limits the risk of him suddenly retiring as well.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Blackwood has one year left, this season, at $2.8 M so with Vanecek at $3.4 M that's $6.2 M for goaltending, this season, assuming it is only them that play this season. There is a risk, I have spoken enough about the risk. With the Fitz improvements, this off season, in the defensive player area, we should be able to reduce the Goals Against as a team with these goalies and defenders.

Now to win games we need to score goals. That remains on paper the weak link.

I always want a playoff competitive team. They will get there it is just a matter of how much time it will take. As the Devils improve so do the other teams, so they can't be too soft in any area.

Fitz, it would be nice if we all could be perfect.
Go Devils

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Two individuals are on the chopping block this year. Ruff is obvious but the more important one if Rogalski who has been nothing but a disappointment so far. The Brodeur/Clemmensen combo has to go, everything they have touched or hired hasnt worked out except the AHL goalie coach.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Two individuals are on the chopping block this year. Ruff is obvious but the more important one if Rogalski who has been nothing but a disappointment so far. The Brodeur/Clemmensen combo has to go, everything they have touched or hired hasnt worked out except the AHL goalie coach.
As I’ve said too many times to count but not in a while, the Melanson firing was fixing something that wasn’t broken.

Blackwood succeeded under him and his play since Melanson has been gone has been completely in the toilet.

Maybe it’s really not Rogalski’s fault, but this is really looking like a suspect hiring. It hasn’t done any good, that’s for sure. And it’s not like they brought in somebody proven.

Brodeur said in a podcast months back that he and Clemmensen are part of the goalie committee and that they “Cleaned up” the staff (fired Melanson) and brought in the new guy.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Three players will have an opportunity for a more significant role in 2022-2023. One will be Mackenzie Blackwood. Will Blackwood get it done? Will Blackwood be with the Devils in 2023-2024?

The expression: "time will tell."

Go Devils

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad