Goalie situation, summer 2022

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
So basically...

...Husso who's played less than 100 NHL games.
...Campbell whose body is shot and headed straight for Coryville.
...Kuemper how just won a cup with a below .900%.

Not thrilled about either option. I'd much rather try the trade market.

Reactions: Maine Fan

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
So basically...

Id be okay offering Husso a two year, high priced contract

We dont need the money the next two years and itd be a great way to secure a 1b/backup while not suffering a poor deal with term. Theyd want the higher dollar to pass on term as well

Two years at 6-7m per. Seems egregious but its a sly way to use our cap space without digging too far into the future. Helps us out in a crucial spot as well.

Maybe Husso wouldnt want that but itd be hard to pass up, the ability to make more in two seasons than he could on a four year deal most likely

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Id be okay offering Husso a two year, high priced contract

We dont need the money the next two years and itd be a great way to secure a 1b/backup while not suffering a poor deal with term. Theyd want the higher dollar to pass on term as well

Two years at 6-7m per. Seems egregious but its a sly way to use our cap space without digging too far into the future. Helps us out in a crucial spot as well.

Maybe Husso wouldnt want that but itd be hard to pass up, the ability to make more in two seasons than he could on a four year deal most likely
Of the three, Husso is the only one that's not going to royally disappoint me. Giving huge money and term to either of the two others is going to be such a monumental failure by Fitz. Campbell wants 4x5.5/6 and if we're the ones giving it to them, we might as well trade for Brent Burns while we're at it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So basically...

Where is this about Campbell's body being shot and headed for Coryville coming from?

I would actually say that description would better fit Kuemper than Campbell.

We've gotta do something or it's

....Blackwood, who's had a 55 game stretch of career careening goaltending that rivals the ghosts of Brodeur and Schneider, as well as the nervous breakdown of Kinkaid after he played about 60 (or was it more?) NHL games in a one year span.

....Bernier, who is 34 years old and has been out for 6 months with a hip injury/surgery, who Fitz even say ''May or may not'' be ready by the start of the season anyway.

....Daws, who's nowhere near NHL ready and proved it down the stretch after his very short hot streak.

Just reliving this shit is enough to give me an explosive bowel movement.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know if I don't like Husso that much because of how bad he was in 20-21 (I remember thinking who the f*** is this jabroni? Probably some bozo that's only here for salary cap reasons cause he's cheap) or if it's just the limited sample size makes it an even bigger question mark. I think if he didn't have that 20-21 season (which was as bad as Blackwood's 21-22) maybe I would be a little more welcoming of him. I could easily see this tandem turning into the head case that was the Niemi-Lehtonen tandem which also featured Coach Combover at the helm. ''Well both these guys suck, so let's just see which one can suck less for the next little bit''.

If we had a borderline 1a/starter guy (Blackwood has NOT shown to be that in 2.5 calendar years now) then Husso would be a FINE pickup.

I don't have enough confidence in Blackwood to save the day if Husso falters.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Where is this about Campbell's body being shot and headed for Coryville coming from?

I would actually say that description would better fit Kuemper than Campbell.

We've gotta do something or it's

....Blackwood, who's had a 55 game stretch of career careening goaltending that rivals the ghosts of Brodeur and Schneider, as well as the nervous breakdown of Kinkaid after he played about 60 (or was it more?) NHL games in a one year span.

....Bernier, who is 34 years old and has been out for 6 months with a hip injury/surgery, who Fitz even say ''May or may not'' be ready by the start of the season anyway.

....Daws, who's nowhere near NHL ready and proved it down the stretch after his very short hot streak.

Just reliving this shit is enough to give me an explosive bowel movement.
Toronto media, Campbell literally couldn’t train with the team most of the year because of all his maintenance days. He’s been described as finishing most games in pain. Whether it’s hyperbole, rumours or true, I’d be extremely worried handing out term to that kind of reputation.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Toronto media, Campbell literally couldn’t train with the team most of the year because of all his maintenance days. He’s been described as finishing most games in pain. Whether it’s hyperbole, rumours or true, I’d be extremely worried handing out term to that kind of reputation.
Fair enough

I can't wait for us to finally have our guy so the massive speculation (which I have also taken part in) can end.

But we really won't know until the season starts.

What really sucks is that teams like Edmonton (and Colorado too) and Toronto are all looking for goalies. And that's only including the teams that are actually TRYING to compete this year.

Obviously, Toronto is probably out on Campbell. Colorado SHOULD (key word SHOULD) be out on Kuemper, but they might wanna do what they can to ''Keep the band together'' and Francouz is not a starting goalie and has his own health demons with a 16 month layoff due to double hip surgery and he's already 32 years old and has little NHL experience for as old as he is. Their AHL goalie/prospect Annunen was a trainwreck in his first pro season in the AHL this year too.

Colorado probably knows they don't need great goaltending (although they did have it in the regular season) but they're gonna need somebody.

Ken Holland already has it up for Kuemper, I'm sure (though they've been linked to having interest in Husso and Campbell too) the old Kennasaurus Rex loves that he just won the cup and the possibility of bringing in a goalie fresh off a cup win and a real winner, despite the fact that it was the biggest joke goalie performance (also combined with Francouz and the team carrying him and his mediocre play to a 6-0 record in the playoffs) for a cup winner probably ever.

Camille the Eel

Whatever we do, don’t give term on the goaltending help. I agree with the overpay for three years strategy but don’t give out a contract longer than that. Goalies are extremely unpredictable. For every Brodeur type (if there is such a thing, as he was one of a kind) or Fleury type with longterm consistent high level play, there are literally a hundred guys who will give you a season (if that) or a streak or maybe 2 and then fall off the map.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So basically...

That ain't much better...that's the problem. I can't trust Blackwood at this point, especially healthwise, not to mention the dude doesn't even want to be here. But the alternatives are just as shitty in one way or another.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
That ain't much better...that's the problem. I can't trust Blackwood at this point, especially healthwise, not to mention the dude doesn't even want to be here. But the alternatives are just as shitty in one way or another.
It really does not matter if Blackwood wants to play here. He will be very motivated this upcoming season. He will not get anything on his next contract if he has another bad year. Would not surprise me at all if he clearly outplays whoever we bring in this year to challenge him.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don't know if I don't like Husso that much because of how bad he was in 20-21 (I remember thinking who the f*** is this jabroni? Probably some bozo that's only here for salary cap reasons cause he's cheap) or if it's just the limited sample size makes it an even bigger question mark. I think if he didn't have that 20-21 season (which was as bad as Blackwood's 21-22) maybe I would be a little more welcoming of him. I could easily see this tandem turning into the head case that was the Niemi-Lehtonen tandem which also featured Coach Combover at the helm. ''Well both these guys suck, so let's just see which one can suck less for the next little bit''.

If we had a borderline 1a/starter guy (Blackwood has NOT shown to be that in 2.5 calendar years now) then Husso would be a FINE pickup.

I don't have enough confidence in Blackwood to save the day if Husso falters.
It’s not necessarily that we could expect either Blackwood or Husso to be studs in goal for us.
But, I think it’s fair and reasonable to expect that between the two of them we could at least get half-decent, much closer to average goaltending than we did last season. And then there’s the possibility of at least one of them being very good. Either by Husso continuing on last years form or Blackwood being healthy and breaking out.

They’re both youngish but not really young goalies with potential and looking at the obvious options right now I’m leaning towards that being my preference.

Sign Husso and let him and Blackwood show us what they can do, with Daws as the 3rd option and maybe even Bernier as an option somewhere down the road if he gets healthy.

Husso is somewhat unproven due to his small sample size but looking at him I think there’s a good chance he can at least be a 1B type of goalie.

Last edited:

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It really does not matter if Blackwood wants to play here. He will be very motivated this upcoming season. He will not get anything on his next contract if he has another bad year. Would not surprise me at all if he clearly outplays whoever we bring in this year to challenge him.
Assuming the goalie we bring in plays well it would be great to have Blackwood play better. I just don't see that scenario happening.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It’s not necessarily that we could expect either Blackwood or Husso to be studs in goal for us.
But, I think it’s fair and reasonable to expect that between the two of them we could at least get half-decent, much closer to average goaltending than we did last season. And then there’s the possibility of at least one of them being very good. Either by Husso continuing on last years form or Blackwood being healthy and breaking out.

They’re both youngish but not really young goalies with potential and looking at the obvious options right now I’m leaning towards that being my preference.

Sign Husso and let him and Blackwood show us what they can do, with Daws as the 3rd option and maybe even Bernier as an option somewhere down the road if he gets healthy.

Husso is somewhat unproven due to his small sample size but looking at him I think there’s a good chance he can at least be a 1B type of goalie.
And there is the possibility that both schitt the bed

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
The way Toronto fans describe Campbell is hot and cold, very injury prone goalie, who when he's hot is a top goalie in league and when he's not he goes long stretches of sucking. Does that remind you anyone we might already have?

I think Husso is not the goalie some of you think he is. I really don't think he can be an true starter, but more of a good backup. He's not the answer to our goalie problems, but more of a bandage. So while he definitely makes us better, it could be a big mistake to give him a lot of term (or really even more than 2).

Anything can happen though, players can make improvements and figure out their game even later in their career, though it's rare. My opinion of him might be skewed from the fact that he's always looked terrible in a team finland jersey. I feel like his value and numbers have trended down during his career, he was a pretty good prospect back in his Liiga days and had at least one good AHL season early one, but has posted plenty of sub .900 stats recently, like in the past playoffs. Not to mention how much playing for defensively solid st.louis' with a good d core and twoway stars like ROR has helped his performances.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Sign Husso to a 3 year deal. Blackwood (I still think there's a good goalie with Mack) and Husso as a tandem is something I can get behind. Come the third year if we're still in this mess someone would probably trade some prospect or pick for goalie depth. Blackwood coming into a contract season so hopefully he bounces back.

Daws, Schmid, Senn and Malek for spot duty over the coming years when injuries pop up.

Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think some people don't understand that if we sign Campbell (maybe even Husso, but definitely with Campbell) it basically spells either the end of Blackwood by the conclusion of the season or a one year RFA deal way below his qualifying offer.

Let's say Campbell is signed at $5 million a year for at least 3 years. If Blackwood were to get his qualifying offer that would be $8 million a year (it would already be close to $8 million for this year, but forget this year, I'm talking going forward) in goalies.

I don't think we're going to pay Jack Campbell and Mackenzie Blackwood a combined $8 million to be our goalies past the 22-23 season.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
I'm honestly tempted to take a wager on Kaapo Kähkönen. Sharks need to offload one of their three goalies, and seems like they'd be content keeping Reimer/Hill. It's not a world breaker, but it's and upgrade and likely wouldn't cost the world. Might even help us get rid of Zacha.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm honestly tempted to take a wager on Kaapo Kähkönen. Sharks need to offload one of their three goalies, and seems like they'd be content keeping Reimer/Hill. It's not a world breaker, but it's and upgrade and likely wouldn't cost the world. Might even help us get rid of Zacha.
They just got him. I doubt they'd trade him, but he probably has more value than any of their current three goalies. Maybe Adin Hill has more because he seems to have a higher ceiling.

Reimer just came off a solid season, but he's 34 years old and having faith and hope that he can repeat what he did last year in a similar number of games is about as whacky as some of the Blackwood faith and hope.

We basically could have gotten him at the deadline for what the Sharks got him for.

My theory and it makes sense is that Fitz wanted to go for a bigger fish than that and had bigger plans in mind.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Goalie selection is a risky business for Fitz because it could end the Devils season for being a playoff contender. Missing the playoffs again and the owners will need an excuse for the blame not to fall on them so it will be "fire Fitz."

We have two goalies (Blackwood & Bernier) signed that could ruin the Devils season if they remain as this season's choice, let's agree with this position. So Fitz need to get an additional goalie.

Is this additional goalie the starter or the backup? That depends on your opinion of Blackwood. If you believe that Blackwood is the starter then you get a backup goalie, if not you must get a starting goalie, a more difficult choice..

With so many teams needing goalies it will be a difficult choice for Fitz in either case. But selecting a backup is less risky, I hope you agree.

So this entire goalie mess is because Blackwood has been and is a question mark. Is he a Starter, Backup or a POS? I have been saying POS.

What say you?

Do you agree that Fitz's job hangs on the selection of a goalie for this season?

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
1657125950571.png

linked to campbell again in lebrun's latest article on the athletic

Camille the Eel

His issues (besides health) are all technique related - staying square to the puck, compact when he moves, not opening up or lifting the pads, being on the angles (he needs to be much better on that), crouching less when dealing with breakaways or shootouts . . . All of which can be worked on in an off season, all of which are coachable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00