Goalie situation, summer 2022

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I have one option for you guys. I did saw some amount of his games.

Dmitriy Nikolayev.

Guy was great everywhere he did play - MHL(junior Russian league), VHL(second adult Russian league), KHL. In season and in play off. In season 17-18, when he was 17yo he was great and one of the best in MHL, and after that he was better and better everywhere. He has good size. And he is 22 yo, devils should not wait 5-6 years for his NHL debut.

Im all in for his signing or drafting as overager.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I have one option for you guys. I did saw some amount of his games.

Dmitriy Nikolayev.

Guy was great everywhere he did play - MHL(junior Russian league), VHL(second adult Russian league), KHL. In season and in play off. In season 17-18, when he was 17yo he was great and one of the best in MHL, and after that he was better and better everywhere. He has good size. And he is 22 yo, devils should not wait 5-6 years for his NHL debut.

Im all in for his signing or drafting as overager.
I’m all for looking at this type of signing usually but where exactly is he going to play next season? I don’t think we should bring him in expecting him to be one of our two NHL goalies to start the year. But is he knocking Akita Schmid to the AHL. If we’re confident he’s better than and is a better prospect than Schmid than maybe but Schmid has done well.

If we didn’t have Schmid and Daws I’d be all k we this type of move as well as signing a good goalie and then going new goalie, Blackwood and this guy starting in the AHL. But we do have Daws and Schmid. We’re looking for a reliable goalie for next season.

But if he’s really good to the point where you would be confident that he’s already better than Daws and/or Schmid than I’m for this too.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I’m all for looking at this type of signing usually but where exactly is he going to play next season? I don’t think we should bring him in expecting him to be one of our two NHL goalies to start the year. But is he knocking Akita Schmid to the AHL. If we’re confident he’s better than and is a better prospect than Schmid than maybe but Schmid has done well.

If we didn’t have Schmid and Daws I’d be all k we this type of move as well as signing a good goalie and then going new goalie, Blackwood and this guy starting in the AHL. But we do have Daws and Schmid. We’re looking for a reliable goalie for next season.

But if he’s really good to the point where you would be confident that he’s already better than Daws and/or Schmid than I’m for this too.
He has contract for next year, so we can sign/draft him and give him one year in Russia. One year is a good distance to watch what we have in NHL/AHL. And make another moves. He is not an option to answer our questions for next season.

I would say he is one of the best or may be even the best Russian goalie of his age and size.

The second candidate is Shcheltin
I didnt saw him much, but results are very good.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He has contract for next year, so we can sign/draft him and give him one year in Russia. One year is a good distance to watch what we have in NHL/AHL. He is not an option for answer our questions for next season.
Fair enough. I think he’s told old to be drafted but if we like him and could sign him then sure. Or maybe we’re just looking at it after next season.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Husso and Campbell would be my top 2 targets.

Campbell has a bit more of a track record.
Husso is only 27 which is 3 years younger and could be a bit more of a longer term option.

They’re UFA’s so we might have some competition and have to overpay a bit. Wouldn’t want to go over 4 or max 5 years.
Maybe something around the 4 times 4 range if that’s what it takes. Shouldn’t go over 5M.

I don’t have a good read on the goalie market though so I don’t know if that’s realistic and fair or too much.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
What Fitz should do? Free agent market, trades, draft.
There are some decent roads he could take. Give Campbell or Husso a short contract to see how Daws/Senn/Schmid pan out and split time with blackwood. Could also trade someone like Zacha for a goalie too. I have faith that something will get done.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think we could feel a lot better going into our goaltending next season with Husso (or Campbell), a healthy Blackwood, and then a year old Daws and Schmid. Not necessarily gonna be the best goalie tandem in the league but should certainly be much better than we had this year and it would have the potential to be very good.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
There are some decent roads he could take. Give Campbell or Husso a short contract to see how Daws/Senn/Schmid pan out and split time with blackwood. Could also trade someone like Zacha for a goalie too. I have faith that something will get done.
Campbell will get big paycheck. Husso I think could end up in St Louis. On the market he could ask something like Driedger got. May be +1/1.5 mil per year.

Reactions: youryeah

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
At some point I was ready to fire Blackwood to the moon, but I'm at a point that if he wants to stay, he can stay. Need two good goalies.

But we need that other goalie badly. It should not be Daws and cant count on Bernier.

Campbell (30) and Kuemper (32) are looking for last big contract. Theyre both good now, I like Kuemper especially but those can be bad contracts as soon as were supposed to contend in a 2-3 year span. I'm feeling that STL finds a way to keep Husso at a discount.

I dont envy Fitz at all. Look him to bring in Martin Jones or Korpisalo just for @Bleedred to lose his mind.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Campbell will get big paycheck. Husso I think could end up in St Louis. On the market he could ask something like Driedger got. May be +1/1.5 mil per year.
I don’t know if Campbell will get that big of a pay check. He’s not that good and the it’s sound like the leafs offer was 2.75M. I could see him getting up to 4M but not too much more.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
At some point I was ready to fire Blackwood to the moon, but I'm at a point that if he wants to stay, he can stay. Need two good goalies.

But we need that other goalie badly. It should not be Daws and cant count on Bernier.

Campbell (30) and Kuemper (32) are looking for last big contract. Theyre both good now, I like Kuemper especially but those can be bad contracts as soon as were supposed to contend in a 2-3 year span. I'm feeling that STL finds a way to keep Husso at a discount.

I dont envy Fitz at all. Look him to bring in Martin Jones or Korpisalo just for @Bleedred to lose his mind.
I don’t know if St. Louis will keep Husso. And he certainly won’t necessarily want to stay there at a discount. Binnington has also taken over the net from him in playoffs and if that continues the Blues may be more confident in Binnington and more willing to move on from Husso.

If we are really confident that his play this season wasn’t just a one year thing than we could pursue him aggressively.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don’t know if Campbell will get that big of a pay check. He’s not that good and the it’s sound like the leafs offer was 2.75M. I could see him getting up to 4M but not too much more.
5+ is my bet. Even 5.5+. For 4+ years. He isn’t as old as Kuemper, he is much healthier. And the most important part - there are no other options on the market this year. Wedgewood could be the 4th-5th best goalie.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
5+ is my bet. Even 5.5+. For 4+ years. He isn’t as old as Kuemper, he is much healthier. And the most important part - there are no other options on the market this year. Wedgewood could be the 4th-5th best goalie.
I doubt that. He wasn’t that good this year and he doesn’t have the longest track record. Overall he had a decent season but also struggled for a long stretch of the season.
And, as I said the leafs offered him 2.75. I highly doubt he’s getting double that from someone else.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
My feasible solution: trade a 4th for the negotiating rights to Campbell, Husso or Kuemper at the draft. Give them up to 6m x 3. If they say no then you try again once UFA opens, and hope the market is softer than their agent expects.

If you end UFA without one of those three goalies then you are screwed and you have to choose the least bad option among many bad options.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I doubt that. He wasn’t that good this year and he doesn’t have the longest track record. Overall he had a decent season but also struggled for a long stretch of the season.
And, as I said the leafs offered him 2.75. I highly doubt he’s getting double that from someone else.
will see. If he will sign with Leafs, it doesn’t count. But on the market he will just asking more. There are more buyers than sellers. It’s obvious that 4.5-5 mil is his floor on the negotiations. Toronto could make 700k offer, it doesn’t change anything and he doesn’t need to help them with their cap crunch.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
I don’t know if St. Louis will keep Husso. And he certainly won’t necessarily want to stay there at a discount. Binnington has also taken over the net from him in playoffs and if that continues the Blues may be more confident in Binnington and more willing to move on from Husso.

If we are really confident that his play this season wasn’t just a one year thing than we could pursue him aggressively.
For me its just a hunch. He's had a weird path to the starter role. I listened to a podcast recently where he talked a lot about his friendship with Binnington from the AHL days to present day and got a feeling like he's happy with the 1A/1B rotation. I could see him sign 1-2 year deal with Blues, pad up his stats for another year or two behind good Blues squad and sign a better deal after that. Certainly better than he would get right now. He's still very unproven.

But yes, its just my hunch. If I'm Husso and someone offers me 10-15 million contract, I'd take it for sure.

Reactions: Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad