Goalie situation, summer 2022

Camille the Eel

3 years? Why?

He’s 38 years old early this season.

He was extremely average this last year, he was poor in 19-20 before the 20-21 Vezina.

Why would we want him until he’s 40 years old?
You think he’s done? That’s definitely a possibility. Some time or another it will happen. The position itself takes its toll and he’s beyond his sell by date already.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You think he’s done? That’s definitely a possibility. Some time or another it will happen. The position itself takes its toll and he’s beyond his sell by date already.
I don't know, I wouldn't say done, but he's not any count to be giving a 3 year deal to.

At that point he's getting a 3 year deal because who he WAS, not what he IS.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A large question is what do we do we think of Dawes future with another year or two to develop? Is he potentially the answer to our future needs, given time to grow ?
Too early to say. Last year didn't do a damn thing to help him, but it might not have done much to hurt him either.

I wouldn't give him any of kind of a call up until 2023-2024.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Camille the Eel

Too early to say. Last year didn't do a damn thing to help him, but it might not have done much to hurt him either.

I wouldn't give him any of kind of a call up until 2023-2024.
That’s a good take. I do think he showed that he has the stomach, the guts for the position at the NHL level and that is something. Whether he can now continue to grow and perfect his game at Utica will be of interest. A caveat is that I won’t be completely surprised if he does get another look in Newark this coming season. I am with you that they should leave him to mature now but I am not sure they take that view. He will be in camp i assume.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That’s a good take. I do think he showed that he has the stomach, the guts for the position at the NHL level and that is something. Whether he can now continue to grow and perfect his game at Utica will be of interest. A caveat is that I won’t be completely surprised if he does get another look in Newark this coming season. I am with you that they should leave him to mature now but I am not sure they take that view. He will be in camp i assume.
If you saw Fitzy's press conference a little while ago he mentioned that he Daws shouldn't have had to play that many games and be exposed to that kind of an NHL work load for as long as he was, so I think he also feels the same way we do on the matter.

He could play in Newark this year, but it's gonna take some injuries for that to happen if it does happen.

He was asked about Bernier and with training camp only about 10 or so weeks away, it doesn't sound like he'll be ready by then. He'll said we'll worry about what to do with all these goalies and how to work it out when he gets healthy.

Daws is probably gonna be our fourth option once Bernier is ready, but who knows if he will be? Maybe this is it for him.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Obviously instead we should sign a vet shooter tutor. It's experience will stop pucks. Trade some picks because you don't like those and pay it $10 million a year.

We signed an two time Stanley Cup winning veteran goalie and he retired on us. We signed another vet and his hip exploded after 8 starts.

There’s a younger goalie on a barren market place and now he’s a bad choice because he doesn’t bring veteran leadership (to help… establish our, uh, “real identity”).

Look at the goalie market, have some sense of context. If we can get a decent goalie with not too much of a commitment in term then it’s a win.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Now that Kuemper is well and truely on the market, I prefer him more than Campbell.

Happy to pay him $6m per year on a short term deal of 3 years.

Otherwise Husso for $3.33m for 3 years is a pretty good alternative.

I just don’t want to commit to anyone long term.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And buried under the radar of the draft is Husso just went to Detroit for a 3rd round pick.

I don't care too, too much because I'm hoping we have bigger plans, but if we get caught with everybody out there sitting in a chair and us having nobody then shame on us for not sending a measly, worthless 3rd round pick for him.

Now that I see he got $4.75 million, holy f***. Campbell and Kuemper are both MUCH more proven than him, so I figured if he asked for $4.75 million for 3 years, they're gonna want more than that.

With Kuemper (PROBABLY) not returning to Colorado after the Georgiev trade yesterday, that does put one more name into the market. Not even necessarily for us, but who do we really want now? Campbell and maybe Kuemper? That's all that's really left on the free agent market.

Kuemper apparently wants SIX years at SIX million.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Less than ideal scenario with Husso going to Detroit. He and Campbell are similar stat wise (I personally like Husso more) but Husso being 3 years younger really made him the more ideal candidate. I'd still prefer a trade scenario with Gibson than signing Campbell or Kuemper.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Vanecek and Blackwood is your 2022 goalie tandem, buckle up!
flipping-off-gif-7.gif

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It seems that things are good between Fitz and Blackwood. Fitz has said that Blackwood is good to go, meaning Blackwood and Vanecek are NJ Devils goalies.

I hope Blackwood's injuries have all healed, especially his heel. I hope that Blackwood is now good between the ears as well. The driving force for Blackwood, is he has a year remaining on his present contract. IMO Fitz is still taking a risk but he has Vanecek to step up and there are young goalies in the system to step up, as well, like last season. The only risk is missing the playoffs, prelonging a habit, which is natural with the Devils.

Fitz is improving the defense by adding defensemen first along with the goalie, so he recognizes the immediate need for improvement with the D going forward.

Hoping for the best

Go Devils

Last edited:

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
If it is true that the Wild's goalie Cam Talbot is unhappy with his situation (alternating with Fleury vs. being the starter) after the signing of Fleury and decides he wants out I think Fitz should consider a two year deal since he is 35 yrs old. I know we just got Vanecek and that's good. I am of course not wanting to risk a day with Blackwood if possible.

Worth considering, that's all. Maybe Talbot is happy and this is speculation.

Reactions: My3Sons

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
My idea of considering Cam Talbot is done. There was a goalie swap and he was in it so the Devils missed out.

I am assuming that the Devils are done with the goaltending so we will take a chance with Blackwood.

As of right now the Devils are struggling to improve the team. In my opinion, they are not a playoff contender as I post this. Where is my surprise?

Go Fitz

Reactions: My3Sons

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
My idea of considering Cam Talbot is done. There was a goalie swap and he was in it so the Devils missed out.

I am assuming that the Devils are done with the goaltending so we will take a chance with Blackwood.

As of right now the Devils are struggling to improve the team. In my opinion, they are not a playoff contender as I post this. Where is my surprise?

Go Fitz
40 goal rookie season from Holtz?

Reactions: Maine Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad