What does MB do with #3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I mean if Timmins and the crew feel that there is no separation between a group of guys that will make it to the 5th then I 100% agree, but if it's either Kotkaniemi or Zadina, it's a stupid gamble to take.
It may be stupid from our end if their plan is one player, but if they're looking at it from a broader lens, the more picks they have to play with, the better the chance they find more pieces to help them improve. The teams know where Kotkaniemi is truly ranked, so they may not risk it if he's their one and only.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
My guess is the Habs drafts Quinn Hughes at #3. It's just a hunch I have. I think he sees him playing with Weber in the future.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I highly doubt Ottawa takes Kotkaniemi (they may even make a similar deal with Detroit in which case we lose out on JK), so I threw Tkachuk's name there. Replace him with any other player if you wish. The most likely scenario is we take Kotkaniemi but ideally we make it so Zadina goes west.
If you got to 5 and somehow both Zadina and JK were gone, then grab Hughes or Boqvist. A top pairing PMD is just a gaping a hole as C, albeit one actively created by our stellar management team who seemed hell bent on creating a D corps of Weber and five Jordie Benns.

My guess is that if Arizona jumped up to take Zadina, then Ottawa would take a D or possibly Tkachuk, and Montreal would get JK anyway. But if Ottawa took JK, then taking a PMD at 5 fits the team's long term needs.

Alternative is to float the idea with Arizona, then go to Ottawa and tell them if they want Zadina, then they have to trade up from 4 to 3, and prevent Arizona or Detroit from doing so. Make the plus the Sens' 2019 2nd RD pick and get something for the honor of not selecting the consensus #3.

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
This guy has to be trolling...no way he doesn't comprehend what everyone is trying to drill into his skull :laugh:

Oh I'm sorry, I guess I didn't realize that I had to have the same opinion as you for it to be of equal value.

I guess we don't really need this forum, as you can just tell us how it is................

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
I remember this debacle when the Habs had the 3rd pick last time. Galchenyuk vs Grigorenko. A good portion of the board wanted Grigorenko, the other portion wanted Chucky. In the end, the Habs took the better player.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Oh I'm sorry, I guess I didn't realize that I had to have the same opinion as you for it to be of equal value.

I guess we don't really need this forum, as you can just tell us how it is................

No, I don' give a flying f*** what your opinion is. I find it sad that you can't comprehend what others are trying to explain to you when they broke it down and made it so simple.

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
No, I don' give a flying **** what your opinion is. I find it sad that you can't comprehend what others are trying to explain to you when they broke it down and made it so simple.

You must think really highly of yourself to decide that my disagreeing with the opinions of some others somehow equates to my not understanding them. Here's a hint, get over yourself.

I understand perfectly the opinions against Zadina, but I find them to be full of hot air. Complete nonsense.

Thinking that some bozo who scored 10 goals in the Finnish men's league is somehow gonna be the answer to our prayers in the NHL is ridiculous, plain and simple. Picking him will end up being yet another wasted pick. I find it sad that you support such a waste.

Comprehend that....??

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
l
You must think really highly of yourself to decide that my disagreeing with the opinions of some others somehow equates to my not understanding them. Here's a hint, get over yourself.

I understand perfectly the opinions against Zadina, but I find them to be full of hot air. Complete nonsense.

Thinking that some bozo who scored 10 goals in the Finnish men's league is somehow gonna be the answer to our prayers in the NHL is ridiculous, plain and simple. Picking him will end up being yet another wasted pick. I find it sad that you support such a waste.

Comprehend that....??

How many goals do you think he would score if he was in the Q? still 10?
How many would Zadina score if he was in a men's league? still 44?

Let me guess, something along the lines of "Who cares, Zadina scored 44 so he's light years better than your 10 goals scoring Kotkaniemi"

hockeyjockey

Aug 1, 2007
So many good options at our spot. Have a feeling that the pick will be Brady Tkachuk and contrary to lots of members on this board, I'd be content with that pick. He's definitely a gamer!

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
l

How many goals do you think he would score if he was in the Q? still 10?
How many would Zadina score if he was in a men's league? still 44?

Let me guess, something along the lines of "Who cares, Zadina scored 44 so he's light years better than your 10 goals scoring Kotkaniemi"

Point you seem unwilling to grasp, is that Kotkaniemi already show he is not very good, playing in a men's league that is nowhere near as elite as the NHL.

If all he can muster is 10 lousy goals in a Finnish men's league, how the hell can anyone expect him to flourish here...??

It's just not logical.

Now, in the case of Zadina, it's also simple enough. Just about biggest deficit is our inability to put the damn puck in the net. This too is glaringly obvious. And there is no reason to assume that this kid can't compete in the NHL. This is assuming facts not in evidence.

Ya just gotta think it through.

Reactions: Runner77

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
At any rate, I'm old and it is past my bedtime. As much fun as this has been, I gotta say good night...

Reactions: Runner77

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Point you seem unwilling to grasp, is that Kotkaniemi already show he is not very good, playing in a men's league that is nowhere near as elite as the NHL.

If all he can muster is 10 lousy goals in a Finnish men's league, how the hell can anyone expect him to flourish here...??

It's just not logical.

Now, in the case of Zadina, it's also simple enough. Just about biggest deficit is our inability to put the damn puck in the net. This too is glaringly obvious. And there is no reason to assume that this kid can't compete in the NHL. This is assuming facts not in evidence.

Ya just gotta think it through.
Filip Forsberg scored a whopping 8 goals his draft year in the SHL. He’s now a 30 goal scorer who happens to be better and more dynamic than anyone on our team. Your logic is very flawed.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I remember this debacle when the Habs had the 3rd pick last time. Galchenyuk vs Grigorenko. A good portion of the board wanted Grigorenko, the other portion wanted Chucky. In the end, the Habs took the better player.

Timmins has done really well with our lottery picks - except for Kostitsyn - Price, McDonagh, Galchenyuk, Sergachev.

People are high on all the talent in the first third of the first round.

I'm sure he's studying those players well and I think he'll find a good talent.

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
Filip Forsberg scored a whopping 8 goals his draft year in the SHL. He’s now a 30 goal scorer who happens to be better and more dynamic than anyone on our team. Your logic is very flawed.

Well, we're all trying to predict the future based on a relatively small statistic sample size, so anyone who tries to tell they know for sure based on these numbers is full of horse ploppy.

That's why we call them opinions....

Last edited:

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I'd be happy with any of Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Hughes, Boqvist, or Dobson at 3ov. I'd also be happy with the Habs trading down and ending up with one of these guys + another late 1st/early 2nd.

Reactions: McTusk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad