What does MB do with #3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
I'm not sure I get your point. Are we supposed to be happy with Mikko Koivu?

Svitov, Lethonen, Bouwmeester, Horton, Barker, Jack Johnson, Jordan Staal, Turris, JVR, Bogosian, Duchene, Gudbranson, RNH, Yakupov, Murray, Drouin, Sam Reinhart, Strome...

17 players out of 45 choosen top 3 from 2001 to 2015. I'd take Koivu before any of them.

I sure hope we can draft a better player than Koivu at 3, but a Koivu would be fine.

Last edited:

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
Long shot center? Kotkaniemi is now ranked 5th OA, 6 foot 2 almost 200 pounds, but no lets draft ANOTHER smallish winger.

Zadina is 6'1", almost 200 pounds, scored 44 goals in 57 games.
Kotkaniemi had 10 goals in those same 57 games.

Get a freakin grip.....

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
U can never have too many D, heard that quote before somewhere....who's the most ready left D?..He's our pick

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City

Get a freakin grip.....

I want the Habs to pick Zadina at 3 too, but comparing points at face value is disingenuous. Kotkaniemi was playing in Finland's top Pro league against men, and Zadina was playing in arguably the worst CHL league against boys.

Curious to see what we get as the extra piece.

For sure. Knowing Bergevin I'm sure the ask is high. Hopefully he doesn't f*** this up.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Fair but we NEED a center not ANOTHER winger. We can't keep building our team the wrong way.

I agree absolutely, I'm just a big fan of Zadina. I also feel that realistically there are a lot of centers in the second round this year, not that they will be the no. 1 we need but its rare to have centers in that late first early second area where we might snag someone good. I'd rather take the best talent there is with the no. 3.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
I'd love to get Merkley, but I seriously doubt Chayka does that. They do need wingers though, and we got a good amount of them.

Yeah I think so too. I think the deal would have to be bigger on both ends if we wanted a guy like Merkley included. Depends how bad the Coyotes want Zadina, if that's who they're targeting.

I'm not really sure what the value disparity is between 3 and 5 to be honest. I cant remember a deal like that happening recently.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah I think so too. I think the deal would have to be bigger on both ends if we wanted a guy like Merkley included. Depends how bad the Coyotes want Zadina, if that's who they're targeting.

I'm not really sure what the value disparity is between 3 and 5 to be honest. I cant remember a deal like that happening recently.
Neither can I, but it makes a lot of sense. Zadina won't make it past the Sens, and Habs seem to like Kotkaniemi better. It's also likely that the Habs are happy with their backup plan which could very well be Tkachuk(puke). Zadina fits their desperate need for a goalscoring RW, and Habs get their center.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Get a freakin grip.....

@NobleSix summed it up perfectly regarding the level of competition, but also conside the age and accomplishments.

Zadina is essentially a “season” older. So if you look at Zadina’s D-1 performance, they compare well statistically. Kotkaniemi also plays a tougher position which we as Habs fans know all too well.

Also, FWIW, as a younger player, Kotkaniemi is already taller and likely as heavy as Zadina.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Get a freakin grip.....
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Firstly, Zadina plays in a very high scoring and easier league in the QMJHL while Kotkaniemi plays against men. Secondly, Zadina is also much older.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I agree absolutely, I'm just a big fan of Zadina. I also feel that realistically there are a lot of centers in the second round this year, not that they will be the no. 1 we need but its rare to have centers in that late first early second area where we might snag someone good. I'd rather take the best talent there is with the no. 3.
We have goal scoring wingers already and no centers for them, last thing we need is another winger. 2nd round centers wont cut it, we need THE best center in this year's draft.

Nobody will give MB a big young top 6 center, not gonna happen, it's a pipe dream. We need to draft one.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Neither can I, but it makes a lot of sense. Zadina won't make it past the Sens, and Habs seem to like Kotkaniemi better. It's also likely that the Habs are happy with their backup plan which could very well be Tkachuk(puke). Zadina fits their desperate need for a goalscoring RW, and Habs get their center.

Hopefully the Coyotes really want Zadina... enough to pony up something good. Imo the only way they'e getting Zadina is by trading up. I agree that there's no chance the Sens pass on Zadina.

Hopefully MB can be smart and take advantage of being in a position of power for once.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Firstly, Zadina plays in a very high scoring and easier league in the QMJHL while Kotkaniemi plays against men. Secondly, Zadina is also much older.
Also Zadina is 5'11 barely 6 foot, not 6'1
Kotkaniemi is 6'2 and a center

Like f*** off with the wingers already, we have way too many.

Galchenyuk >> Zadina

What kind of magical player do you guys think Zadina is? He's nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad